Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Just checking this... Thinking of quitting but a little scared

Notices

Just checking this... Thinking of quitting but a little scared

Old 07-31-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JustaGuy

Unhappy Just checking this... Thinking of quitting but a little scared

So I was browsing google results trying to figure out if the reason I have started getting headaches when I am sobre is because my drinking (don't get me wrong, I am pretty sure it is).

I don't know what the tell tell signs are of physical dependency. So I know I drink like a Alcoholic, I just don't know if I am physically dependant, though the headaches and shaking seem to be pointing to "yes".

The shaking starts usually around 8-10 hours after my last drink, so about when I wake up or a little after I start work. But it comes and goes and is usually gone about 4 hours later. The headaches come on much later around the time that I started drinking the night before. I usually down between 1/4 and 1/2 a 750ml bottle of whiskey over the course of a evening every night.

I have been able to backoff before to take a break from drinking for a few weeks, but the headaches are really bad now so I keep meaning too, but don't because it really bothers me and makes me irritable. I am Just worried If I should consult a Doctor. I Have quit other things in the past like Meth... well replaced them with Alcohol I guess would be more accurate (About 6 years ago) so i know if its just going to be painful I can force myself. But... I have heard that trying to just man your way through alcohol quitting can be dangerous... anyone have any insight? are my symptoms similar to others who have quit without medicinal help? Given my addictive personality I would rather not start any prescription drugs :/
Old 07-31-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Never a bad idea to see a doctor in this situation. Withdrawals are different for everyone, and it can be really dangerous to quit on your own. You're on the right track thinking about stopping, and seeking help. Hope you are able to get help for your headaches fast!
Old 07-31-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Please do see a doctor. Meth withdrawals wasn't any fun, but alcohol withdrawal can kill you.

I hope you don't take that as license to keep drinking, but rather a wake up call to go see a doctor, be honest with what is going on, and take it from there.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

Yes definetly go see a doctor or go to a detox. Alcohol withdrawls can be very dangerous and deadly, I worked in detox and have seen some frightful experiences from people who withdrawl from alcohol. It is no joke seek professional assistance, I don't know your hx. but trust me seeking medical attention willl be worth it. Be honest with your doctor or hospital/emergency room/detox where ever you seem to go. You are doing the right thing about asking for help, that was half your battle, now take some action! God bless and stay safe!!!!
Old 07-31-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Yes it can be dangerous manning up as you said thru detox... That is how I got sober and I wouldn't wish the withdrawal on my worst enemy. I only Pray that I don't have to go thru that again.

I have never aquired Doctor help thru withdrawaling at anytime, and I am not going to say you should or you shouldn't. I will tell you that if you want, I can be here for you. I can listen to you as you walk thru it, I will be here with you. There have been many of us here that are recovering that have been right where you are now. So hang on to your feet cause it does get a little crazy as I like to say!~~~

Welcome to SR!~~~

:hugs
Old 07-31-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome jendler69

I always recommend seeing a Dr - our health is simply too important to simply cross our fingers on.

I understand you don't want medication but sometimes it may be necessary....other times your Dr may not prescribe anything...but you'll never know if you don't go and find out

D
Old 07-31-2012, 09:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Please do see a doctor. Meth withdrawals wasn't any fun, but alcohol withdrawal can kill you.

I hope you don't take that as license to keep drinking, but rather a wake up call to go see a doctor, be honest with what is going on, and take it from there.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JustaGuy

Thank you all for the advice!! It does mean alot and is helpful to have others who have gone through the same thing. I am use to just shining it on when talking about it ... "of course I'm an alcoholic, its awesome" and all of that stuff... but thats al it really is... shine. I wasn't sure if I was just being a whiner about the headaches or if I should really be concerned, after all your posts though, definitely agree. Going to make an appointment with my doc to discuss.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Jendler -

It's great that you're making plans to get sober! As you've probably already experienced, things like this get worse, never better. The first days can be a challenge (even a bit scary), but you sound like you're ready to make a change.

This forum has been my lifeline and I know you'll find the same help here that I have.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

All the above, and Welcome
Old 08-01-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Jendler! Everyone has lots of great advice, but i wanted to add, drink lots and lots of WATER!!! You can do this!
Old 08-01-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm not going to address detox, but your symptoms.

Your headaches and tremors may be signs of central nervous system damage from alcohol. Only a doctor will be able to tell you that.

I began having neurological problems 10 years ago, which started with balance and vision problems (blurred or double vision, depth perception). I now have numbness and tingling and what feels like bugs crawling on my skin. The MRIs of my brain are not pretty and show loss of brain mass.

That is something I can't get back.

Even though I put down on the medical questionnaire that I drank daily, 3 to 5 drinks, no doctor or neurologist picked up on this as a possible cause of my problems until I went to Yale Medical Center. As a female, this should have been a red flag.

I went through a period of strange headaches, much different from what you describe.

Now is a good time to be honest with your doctor about how much you drink and symptoms you are experiencing. Have them run blood work, including a liver panel. A neuro exam might be in order and if you continue to have neuro symptoms or add more to the list, you might want to have an MRI of your brain.

Good luck...if I can spare anyone from the damage I have done to myself, its well worth it.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcohol is a depressant. It can depress our blood pressure, too. When we stop drinking, that blood pressure can rise dramatically. Your shaking and headaches indicate a doctor is needed.

Please see your doctor!

Love,