Notices

I'm new here. I think I need help.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new here. I think I need help.

Hi everyone. I'm knew here.

I think I need help to stop drinking. I was always an occasional social drinker, but one hot summer, about four years ago I started picking up a 6 pack of beer during the day and drinking out on the deck. I was enjoying the sun, the taste (I like the taste of beer), the kids were out in the yard playing and I would just enjoy the day.

Then it progressed into fall and winter, and four years later I can put back 18 beers a day. That's not the usuall amount, but I've done it. It used to be "Oh its 4:00 in the afternoon, I think I'll grab a beer" Now its one o'clock in the afternoon and I'm finding myself running to the store to buy a 12 pack.

I find myself choosing what social gatherings to go to based on if they have alcohol or not.

Last week I drank about 70 beers throughout the week. On Sunday I promised my husband I'd stop drinking during the week.

And now, as I'm sitting here, sipping on beer number three on my second day of attempted sobriety I realize....

Well damn. I'm an alcoholic.

I realized today that I can't stop. And I am scared to death. I am ashamed. I am embarrassed. And I don't know what to do.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there,
I am sober 4 years through the program of AA. I used to find myself drunk days after swearing off booze for good or for the month or whatever it was. Its part of what makes an alcoholic an alcoholic. The inability to quit drinking even when we want to and often the inability to control the amount we drink once we start.
Millions of people have recovered through the 12 steps of AA. Maybe you can look up some meetings in your area? Most cities have a schedule online.

I wish you luck. remember we can recover. It happens every day.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

glad yer here and see ya got a problem. ya wrote my story in a nutshell.

i went to AA and started working the program. been workin real good for 7+ years now. no more same, guilt, dispair, misery, or gloom!

you may want to google bigbook online ( its titled alcoholics anonymous, but we call it the big book) and read the 1st 164 pages. if you find yourself in there, i suggest ya find a meeting neaby.

prayers yer way for strength and ocourage, i know there was no way i could stop drinking on my own and AA helped me all the way. today i dotn have a drinkin problem, but i still have a thinkin problem, but its gooder than its ever been.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You'll find all the support you need here, you just need to ask! I'm 22 days sober and am adamant that I've had my last drink. Don't make the same mistake I made and spend the next 10 years attempting to quit, believe me, it's no fun. Make the decision, stop drinking and come back here every day. We'll support you all the way!

You can do it!

Julynine
Old 07-31-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jake, 19

Hey, glad you found the site.

There's loads of fabulous people here who are ready to bend an ear to whatever you have to say. If you're determined to quit drinking, this site is a great place to find support and friends.

Wishing you all the best - you can do this.

Jake, from England
Old 07-31-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I checked out the AA site and the 12 steps. There's an awful lot about God on there, and I'm not really a God person.

I have personal issues with religion as a whole, and its just my beliefs. I'm not comfortable with the God aspect of it.

Do you have to be religious to join/follow AA?
Old 07-31-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi Habiba,
Realising and admiting i was an alcoholic was a big step for me towards living a sober life , as was admiting i could'nt control my drinking once i started .

There are several methods of recovery , i tend to use whatever i find useful . There is life after drinking and it can be fun and rewarding if you want to make it so .

Might be worth being honest and checking in with your doctor as they might want to check how your body copes with giving up,

It's a real positive thing you've done today, the forums have lots of interesting insights and there is usually someone around to offer support and share their experiences .

Best wishes, M
Old 07-31-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It is my understanding that no, you don't have to believe in god to have aa work for you. Welcome to this group. These folks are caring and honest. Now we just have to care about ourselves enough to change. We can do it.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Absoltely not. When AA speaks of "God" they are referring to your own personal belief. Many individuals use the group as their higher power. Kind of a strength in numbers idea. Others use nature or the universe or whatever you really want. Many individuals who have recovered in AA have been Atheists and did not believe in anything. It is a spiritual program, but not religious. No one can tell you what you have to believe like religions do. If anyone does, please dont listen to them!
AA is broad and roomy. Always inclusive never exclusive.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to our forums!

I know it can be overwhelming when you realize you are an alcoholic and don't know where to start to sort things out. We do understand how hard this is. Please check out some of the recovery program options:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html
Old 07-31-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Welcome Habiba,

I think you will find a lot of supportive people here; I do
Old 07-31-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am so scared of quitting. My daily activities revolve around when I can have a beer. Its only these past few days I've realized that. No, that's not true. I've realized that for a long time now. Its only the past few days that I've faced that fact.

You see the movies and the TV shows that show alcoholics at "rock bottom". You know, they are homeless or on the verge of a divorce, or their kids are acting out. I have a great marriage. I love my husband and we have 4 beautiful kids. We are comfortable financially (far from rich lol). We have the normal family spats, but nothing major. Hell, my side of the family thinks I only have a social drink because I hide it. My husband has expressed his concern but do you know what he has said? "Would you mind only drinking on the weekends because I'm a little worried and I love you". And I'm too ashamed to admit even to him that I can't stop.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome habiba....I have been going to AA for the last 1 and half months and i'm so not religious...I like going to AA because no one can understand what you,I are going through like a fellow alcoholic does....I drank beer all day everyday...Never used to drink before 8pm then 6 then 5 and before i knew it i was opening my first beer when i was walking the dog at 7am....You have come to the right place and hopefully you will get lots of help and advice like i have......
Old 07-31-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Other people don't understand alcoholism and therefore they make suggestions like your husband did. We do understand and know that occasional drinking doesn't work for us.

It would probably be a good thing to think about changing your daily activities so that you can distract yourself from thinking about alcohol, even a bit. Plan to be doing something else when you would have been drinking.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Habiba - if you can talk to us you can talk to your husband! Talking to my wife daily really helps me. We're going through this together! He sounds a good guy so I don't think there will be an issue!

Good luck!
Old 07-31-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! :ghug3 I see an addiction counselor once a week and she's been a huge help as has SR. Is counseling an option for you? There are people on this site who are sober with only the support of SR so it's possible to get sober if you want it bad enough.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My problem is that I don't know how to talk. Could be an issue with the alcoholism too. I've never known how to talk. I just keep everything inside. I'm very private and shy. If I ever had a problem when I was a child (that I can remember, I have no memories before I was 7) I went for a walk.

I think part of the reason I'm so scared to quit is facing what I don't want to face.

Does that make sense?
Old 07-31-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes it does, but as many people will testify on this forum, it's not just your drinking habit that needs to change, you also have to change....... And being sober will help you with that!

Julynine
Old 07-31-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I know you aren't supposed to post sexual abuse issues on here, or suicidal stuff, but is it ok to explore other issues?

I don't know what's ok to talk about...
Old 07-31-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome habiba

We're dealing with peoples lives so we get a lot of different kinds of posts here.

We tend though to focus mainly on substance abuse issues here - not that other issues aren't important, just that we can't be everything to everyone.

If it's not something we can get into here, we can probably give you some ideas on where to find some guidance, though

Whats on your mind?

D