Notices

HIndsight is a wonderful thing..

Old 07-29-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

HIndsight is a wonderful thing..

Back on the sobriety bandwagon again..9 days and counting. Relapsed after 4and a half months. Made several half-hearted attempts at recovery over the following weeks but never made it past ONE weekend. (And yes you guessed it my problem was and always has been weekend bingeing).

Anyways Ive made it past that first weekend hurdle now so its smooth sailing until next weekend hits. I presently feel confident, I had a few moments I thought I might give-in but rode the craving out (food always helps me get over it pretty fast).

I have a $200 bet on with a friend (first to cave owes the other 200 bucks) and Im also part of an online 2 month sobriety challenge PLUS I have all you guys at SR for support. I CAN DO THIS!
Old 07-29-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

What other plans do you have to keep you sober? I could only do it with the support of AA. There is something about working with a group of people all working for the same goal. It gets accomplished.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Four and a half months is excellent! Good for you for making it through a weekend-that's the hardest time for a lot of us here. Social conditioning I guess. I'm liking that feeling of starting a new week "fresh". I can't think of anything I missed last weekend by not drinking.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mazza View Post
I have a $200 bet on with a friend (first to cave owes the other 200 bucks) and Im also part of an online 2 month sobriety challenge PLUS I have all you guys at SR for support. I CAN DO THIS!
Are you looking to just quit for a few months Mazza or is it a forever kind of deal?

It's just that your last comment made me think of people saying that you should never give up something for an incentive, like 'If you give up smoking I'll buy you a car' kind of thing. Because once you get what you want you'll just start again. Also you're not really doing it for yourself that way.

What happens when your friend caves and you get 200 bucks? Will the incentive to stay sober be gone?

Have you looked into any recovery programs before or looked into anything like AVRT?
Old 07-30-2012, 03:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

Great decision. I always found that I had heightened expectations leading into the weekend. I got tripped over by it so many times, the feeling that Fridays had to be 'special'. Eventually I had an idea........ 'what if these feelings were a product of alcoholism?'.