Notices

advice and help

Old 07-29-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

advice and help

hi. i have been abusing percocet everyday for the past 3 years. for the last 3 months i started using heroin everyday. i am deathly afraid of the fact that i am doing heroin and have a strong desire to quit everything and live a sober life. i started attending na meetings nearly everyday for the past 2 months. these meetings really make me feel hopeful that i can quit and live a relatively happy life without drugs. my problem is that i cant make it past a few days without picking up again. i desperately want to get clean, i am so sick of the insanity of drug use. rehab is not an option for me because i have no health insurance. does anyone remember how they first got clean and could you give me some advice how i can make it work. thank you
Old 07-29-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi makemebetter

I'm afraid I have no experience with heroin, but I'm sure others will be alone - you'll find a lot of support here.

I was a drinker but I found I had to make a lot of changes in my life about what I did in response to problems, the people I hung out with etc.

Do you have a sponsor at NA or someone there to talk with?

D
Old 07-29-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome makemebetter -
The support here really helped me get through those first days of not drinking. I don't think I could have done it without a continual means of support.

I don't have any experience with heroin, but others here have been where you're at. You might want to check out the substance abuse board: Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Have you thought about talking to a doctor (there are some that even specialize in addiction). Glad you're here..... you're not alone and you can recover!
Old 07-29-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard.

My experience with heroin is thru my mother she was active addict for 15 years. It is a awful deal. Alcohol and heroin are very very similar in the addictive aspects.

I dont know about where you are , but here there are many rehabs that take you in, with or without the ability to pay.

You can do this.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. My beast is alcohol, but I am beating it with the help of others here. I know you will find help for your addiction here too. Peace tonight.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here!

Drug & Alcohol Rehabilitation Canonsburg PA - drug rehabilitation, Canonsburg PA alcohol rehabilitation, Canonsburg PA rehab, Canonsburg PA drug addictions, Canonsburg PA drug rehab, Canonsburg PA alcohol rehab, Canonsburg PA rehab centers

Call and ask about low cost or free rehabs, or ask about a scholarship.

I wish you well in your recovery,
Old 07-29-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hey there. I was a chronic relapser. I was in rehabs (short and long term), detox's, half way houses you name it. Either the day I got out or within a few months I was using again. I went on a methadone maintenance program for 7 years but that was in the late 90's. I weaned myself off and stayed clean for 2 years with no program. I thought cause drinking was not my problem I could do that to unwind. I ended up drinking everyday from morning to night and landed in the hospital with pancreatitis. They shot me with dilauded for the pain. I hadn't had an opiate in 10 years, but within a few months on pills after the hospital I was back to shooting dope, coke and smoking crack. I lost my job, wife, home, kids. Everything I had amassed over the years not using.
So anyway I was contemplating suicide cause I just didn't think I had it in me to stop. I didn't think I could do it. Instead of walking in front of a bus as I planned, I walked into a shelter and asked for help. They called an ambulance, and I was put on a 24 hour suicide watch. Next day I was in detox, and was weaned off the dope for 4 days with suboxone. I was homeless and indigent, but got treatment through charity care. I was set to go live at the salvation army but called my oldest buddy in Florida who had 3 years sober. He got me a plain ticket and I went to live with him.
He started taking me to all sorts of meetings (3-5 a day). I think I did over a 300 in 90. At first I didn't want to be there, but through time I started seeing all the ways I rebelled towards the program before. How I truly never thought I was powerless. I felt it for real this time. I also saw him doing it, and all these other people. Maybe just maybe if I did what they did, it could work for me too.
That was 11 months ago, and I feel great today. I have my ups and downs though. I get thoughts of using now and then. But they don't last long. I just always think where I will end up again. I remember that feeling of hopelessness. Today I have hope. If I continue on this path, all will be ok.
I know this is a bit long, but just wanted to share my experience as a chronic relapser on opiates.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The Salvation Army also has free programs in many areas
some are short term detox facilities others are longer.

Have you quit running around with active users?
Blocked their numbers from your phone?
Stayed out of places you know they will be?

I'm guessing you are buying street drugs
Do you have doctors prescribing percocet?
You could ask them to stop writing them.

Welcome...