Notices

Just begining, need sponsor!

Old 07-28-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just begining, need sponsor!

I have 37 days sober. I am attending outpatient group and going to at least three meetings a week. I have no problem talking to people at meetings. but I am having a hard time finding a sponsor. Any advice on finding the right one? What questions to ask, etc???
Old 07-28-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome JoChris - good to have you with us
I'm not in AA myself but I know others will be along shortly

D
Old 07-28-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Congratulations on 37 days sober. I'm not able to give advice about a sponsor either, but others will be along to help.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We were told today by a longtime member of AA to be selective about your sponsor and not make a quick decision. He also recommended they be more than 2 years sober. Hope that helps!
Old 07-28-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well congrats first of all. I believe the keys are just a couple things. Since your attending 3 meetings a week, take one that you like the best and make it your home group. And listen and watch , you will see someone that has great comments and has what you want.

The only question to ask, is will you sponsor me then talk and they will either say yes or if they say no, direct you toward someone that will. I suggest getting your sponsor that you know you will see at the meetings often.

And remember your not getting married, if its not working out you can always go seperate ways.

Stay on the beam, and come back and post what happens please.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you read the first 164 pages of the book Alcoholics Anonymous?

Keep attending meetings, talk to people before and after the meeting, get phone numbers and start calling someone (it can be different people) every day. Ask about a sponsor during a meeting.

A sponsor is someone who has a spiritual foundation, has sobriety, and has a demeanor you want, too. Has a job, volunteers their time, has what you have (family or not), and who knows the program of AA (the steps). They have also had a spiritual awakening as a result of working the steps of AA.

Others may disagree with me. Keep talking to people and let them get to know you and you get to know them. Get to a variety of meetings. If you have to, find a temporary sponsor and start working with them.

I wish you well! Congrats on the 37 days of sobriety, your journey has just begun!

Stay strong and stay stopped!
Old 07-28-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I came into the rooms and dropped out after 30 days bc I did not get a sponsor. I am 26 days and got a sponsor on the second round. I think I over thought the sponsor. I treated it like a marriage proposal. It's not. If it does not work just move to the next person on your list. Good luck and best wishes!
Old 07-28-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wecome to SR!