Notices

New here, need advice on where to start my journey.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, need advice on where to start my journey.

Hello all, I'm new here. I have only been an addict to my current d.o.c Vicodin for 3 months since I had an accident and began getting prescribed Vics weekly, I was a daily binge drinker before but then I was introduced to Vics. I started out taking just enough to get high then no more til the next day.. But as the days went on I started more and more when the high started wearing off. No one knows about this addiction because it's soooo much easier to hide than the alcohol... I think my doctors are starting to catch on because he made the comment. "You should have some left, if you start needing more and more let me know" and has been cutting the amount down from 40 a week to 20... I haven't had any actually prescribed to me in over a week. I want help because I'm falling farther and farther into this, I feel as though I can't live without them. I miss them, I literally cry when I run out. I wake up realizing I don't have any and don't even want to get out of bed. I want it to stop. I'm only 22... I don't want this to be how my life turns out..I just don't know how to approach help. Only one other person knows about this, but he's also an addict. If the people closest to me found out they would NOT be supportive as bad as that sounds... They can't know. One of them actually works at a rehab (it may sound like a wonderful thing for an addict, it's not.. it's the absolute worst)

Do I just flat out say "doctor, I'm addicted and want help?" Is there any advice (non-medical) anyone can give me on starting my journey to recovery? I have no where else to turn. How did you approach it?

(hope this post isn't breaking rules)
Old 07-28-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I think talking to your dr is the best place to start. He can give you guidance on what to do. I think it's great that you know you have a problem and are seeking support.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Nobro

I'm sorry you're struggling. I think talking to your doctor is probably a good first step too, and they can probably advise you on where to get help with the psychological aspects of addiction too.

It may be worth posting this in the Substance abuse forum too, as there may be more people there who can relate to what you're going through x
Old 07-29-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you're here, nobro. There are a lot of people on here who have battled both drug and alcohol addiction. I have been here for only a few days and have already chatted with several people who have been very helpful. Hopefully, your doctor can help you to turn the addictive cycle around. I know that there are a lot of people here who are willing to offer (non-medical) guidance and moral support.

Best wishes to you in your recovery.