Notices

Must Stop now . In trouble.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Must Stop now . In trouble.

Well, I have been in and out , cutting down, tapering etc. No binge, no big scenes, no hang overs, no black-outs and I have managed to stick some fixed amounts of alcohol every evening measuring to 1.5 bottles of wine or 250 ml of whiskey or 4 pints of beer. Life is usual and regular , same as a functional alcoholic.

But the problem is my recent medical tests for Lipid Profile and Liver Function, shows each parameter touching on very high side. Regular excessive and diet control is not helping. My Doctor is not worried much about the alcohol intake and thinks , all the problems with my test reports , are mostly due to genetic disorders and only solution is to have medications to control Lipid and Liver functions.

I have decided to obey my doctor and have already started the medicines. But I feel deep inside from my heart that my current levels of alcohol consumptions are good enough to cause the alleviated levels. I must stop . I had done it few months ago without any severe withdrawal symptoms, except in-ability to sleep for few days. My doctor has refused to prescribe sedatives and I have no choice but to go through few sleepless nights. I am starting to abstain from today and will keep all SR friends updated.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Thank you for the post and keep coming back. I hated those sleepless nights detoxing, but they were so worth it now. I was totally honest with my doctor so no drugs for me either, thank heavens, at the time I was bummed but now I am happy about that.

Sounds like a perfect time to quit again and start taking care of your body.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back llastchance8

I never heard anyone say giving up drinking hurt their health
Good decision

D
Old 07-28-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No offence Lastchance but your doctor sounds rubbish. Is he aware of your drinking history? Did you chat about quitting and he said not to? Or to just attempt it without any meds?

In over 3 years of talking about my drinking with doctors only one ever suggested I should stop. On the other side, everytime one told me that my drinking hadn't effected my health, I saw that as a green light to carry on as normal, so well done for making the decision to quit yourself

Keep us posted xxx
Old 07-28-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you for returning... looking forward to hearing more from you.

I'm not knowledgeable on anything medicine related but I'm pretty sure that whatever your doctor says and however anything else is contributing... alcohol is going to be adding to any liver problems, if not causing them. It's not a bad idea for ANYONE to give up alcohol, however much they drink, because what good does it do for anyone, really?

It's a good decision
Old 07-28-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Giving up alcohol, if you're concerned, is always a good decision.