SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Thank You London..... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/263695-thank-you-london.html)

IndaMiricale 07-27-2012 09:03 PM

Thank You London.....

I just got done watching the opening ceremonies in London. And I would just like to say thank you. This would be the first Olympic games sober for myself.And I was so choked up at the beauty of it.

It truly is so nice to watch the world kinda stop its non-sense and come together with the language that knows no barrier, Sport. :)

So all you SR folks that I have met over the year and a half over the pond...

Spot on and Good on Ya, it was awesome. :You_Rock_

EternalQ 07-27-2012 09:22 PM

Yes. Simply Smashing!!

justhadenough 07-27-2012 11:53 PM

I only watched the 1st hour but have recorded it all for later

I was a little unsure at first but enjoyed it.I thought the scene changes were incredible!Totally agree with you Inda-it's nice for thereto be no animosity

Enjoy the sober olympics everyone:a122:

Ranger 07-28-2012 04:35 AM

Hear hear!

LDT 07-28-2012 05:00 AM

It was a stunning opening ceremony!

LindseyMarie 07-28-2012 05:53 AM

Very touching ceremony! I am right there with you, I've never watch the Olympics sober...come to think of it, I haven't watched a good deal of movies sober either. I have a lot to keep me busy I guess!

mecanix 07-28-2012 06:00 AM

The cycling on at the moment is happening in the area in which i work . I drive those roads most days .

england 07-28-2012 06:12 AM

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it -I was worried that some people may not understand the stories as it was very British.

I cant wait until next week as I have tickets for Handball, football and the paralympics.

London has massive Olympic fever.

Enjoy the Olympics people :)

Ranger 07-28-2012 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by england (Post 3508587)
I'm glad you guys enjoyed it -I was worried that some people may not understand the stories as it was very British.

Indeed. But, as an American I was struck by how much I connected with and was familiar with elements of the performance. I suppose it's a testament to American culture's British roots.

DarkDays 07-28-2012 09:42 AM

Born and Bred Londoner here, great opening ceremony ...But cannot get into these games the way my business has been treated by Transport For London and the IOC. London is truly deserted, business is suffering the traditional tourist and Business person has given London a miss this year In fact cannot wait till this sham has packed up and left London :)

IndaMiricale 07-28-2012 11:16 AM

@mecanix and england that is awesome its so much fun to go to the events.

@DarkDays I am sorry for the struggles while its there. It will be gone soon enough.

I was lucky enough to attend both the LA and Atlanta Olympics here in the States, memories that I will always cherish.

justhadenough 07-28-2012 11:30 AM

I loved the bit with the Queen!

Looks like the USA are about to get their first gold medal in the men's swimming.Good luck to you:a122:

MightyMung 07-28-2012 11:38 AM

I'm sad for Cavendish in the cycling - he trained so hard and was tipped for gold. What a surprise when Kazakhstan won!

My favourite part of the opening ceremony was Mr Bean's appearance. A British classic, and a great example of British humour. I'm glad Mr Bean as a character could be appreciated by people all around the world who watched the short sketch. Apart from maybe John Cleese or Michael Palin, I can't really think of anyone who could better represent Britain from the point of view of humour. Mr Bean/Rowan Atkinson's appearance was a wonderful touch, and showed Britain still holds a strong National identity.

Although, Samsung are being heavily criticised for turning the games into a marketing soap box - Rowan Atkinson pulled out a brand new Samsung phone during his sketch. Product placement or what?

But hey I agree, the olympics are a great time to all join together and just celebrate being human really. And this year looks set to be fantastic, with lots of surprises in store.

Sasha4 07-28-2012 11:50 AM

I thought the Queen rocked!!!!!!

She was awesome, truly got into the spirit of it.

Whatever is thought of the royal family, she is one really cool lady!

I wish Prince William had been flying the helicopter in the film too!

And I cannot wait to see if it is true that Prince Harry has tickets to the beach volleyball!!!!

Such a proud time. So good to be passionate about things.

Zee 07-28-2012 12:00 PM

Mr Boyle did a great job! I was expecting Trainspotting II
Gave me goosebumps!
GB has a great way of not taking itself too seriously.
Most betting shops are giving refunds to people who put bets on who was going to light the torch. Nobody expected that.
Glad I don't live in London! ;)

Count 07-28-2012 12:09 PM

Sorry guys I turned it over about 30 minutes in. Could think of better things to do with 27 million. Maybe it was just me being crabit coming off drink 

Hexipuff 07-28-2012 12:52 PM

The Queen was cool beans

Elphaba 07-28-2012 01:08 PM

I think the cauldron is outstanding, and when they played Pink Floyd's Eclipse for the lighting, just awesome!

IndaMiricale 07-28-2012 01:09 PM

Thats cool Count, hopefully you feel a bit better today.:)

And 27 million quite the investment, they will receive much more back from it. :)

Zee 07-28-2012 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by IndaMiricale (Post 3509046)
Thats cool Count, hopefully you feel a bit better today.:)

And 27 million quite the investment, they will receive much more back from it. :)

I hope you feel better too Count.

The cost is actually 11 billion and counting (pun not intentional) :( we are assured its all private money blah blah

We will have to see how its going to effect our ever decreasing economy.

Well, look on the bright side, the cost per unit of alcohol is going up soon to 40p per unit, that means a cheap and nasty bottle of cider will go from about £3 to about £8. We will have to make some room here at SR for an influx of British newbys soon!