SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I can't have just one beer (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/263687-i-cant-have-just-one-beer.html)

Change4good 07-27-2012 07:30 PM

I can't have just one beer

I thought I could have a beer at a cook out. I know how this ends. I work through a two day hangover, resume sober living for two weeks, and rinse and repeat.

I will check in again tomorrow. I just felt the need to share that I fell down. I understand and support our friends here who do the same, so hope that you all extend me the same latitude. I am doing my best to make changes.

DisplacedGRITS 07-27-2012 07:39 PM

Lesson learned my friend. It happens to most of us. It's great that it didn't turn into anything more! Really happy to see you back here. Keep working hard. Lord knows it isn't easy.

duane1 07-27-2012 07:45 PM

I've been there. Fridays were always super tough. Be done with it and get on course tomorrow.

tzivia 07-27-2012 07:49 PM

I'm back here after multiple relapses recently, so I'm in the same boat as you. We've all been there. It's great that you're back here so soon and ready to give this another go. I'm doing the same. Just keep hanging in there. We'll get through this.

IndaMiricale 07-27-2012 07:51 PM

Yup been there to many times. Just wrote a thread on this very thing today. :)

Get up and start a new, like it was said lesson learned. The stove is hot dont touch it. :)

4mykids723 07-27-2012 08:31 PM

Been there more times than I am happy with. Dust yourself off and try again. Don't beat yourself up. You can do this.

katiedid722 07-27-2012 08:35 PM

After my previous relapse my fiance said to me, "you know what your doing is the very definition of insanity, right? It's doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Are you getting the help that you need or are you relying on your guilt to turn you toward a 2 week sober period? In order to take control, you have to make a change. Stay away from alcohol make a commitment to yourself that you aren't going to be around it AT ALL for a month and see how you do. Stay away from your triggers or buttons is what I call them. Good luck, you can do this!! We are ALL rooting for you :)

Dee74 07-27-2012 08:50 PM

I'm glad you're back C4G.

There's some good advice here....whatever you're doing now, maybe it's time to talk turkey, take stock, and think about what else you need to do now to add to it?

D

blueshades 07-27-2012 09:01 PM

Change4good, I hope tomorrow brings with it the promise of a fresh start. You've got a lot of folks pulling for you here. Hang in there and hold on to yourself!

SDSurfn 07-27-2012 09:08 PM

Been there too my friend. Don't beat yourself up.

Learn, and make a new plan to move forward.

Maybe add something to what you've been doing?

All the best,

SD

NoFireWater 07-27-2012 09:17 PM

Sounds like you regularly have 14 days sober, which is commendable. If you keep slipping, you'll have to figure out what in your thinking allows it to happen, and make a change when it starts to happen again. Sounds simple, and I know it isn't, but it probably boils down to that.

skeletoncrue 07-27-2012 10:08 PM

I never could have just one, or two.

The bad thing about that first drink or two is that it basically empowers your addictive voice, originating in the more primative pleasure seeking part of the brain. It gets exactly what it wants, so it gets stirred up even more.

At the same time, that first drink or two is anesthetizing your higher brain functions, where YOU actually think and reason, and can remember all the bad things that alcohol has done to you.

So those first drinks basically energize and empower the pleasure seeking monster, who doesn't give a damn about the consequences, while paralyzing your rational mind and destroying your ability to make proper decisions from that point on.

Empower the monster and immobilize the control system.

Recipe for disaster.

justhadenough 07-27-2012 11:40 PM

Tomorrow is a new day-look forwards not back-don't beat yourself up.

Change4good 07-28-2012 01:50 AM

Many thanks everyone. It is 4:45 am right now, my usual wake up time since being sober and active.

This morning, I am hungover. To be clear, it wasn't 1 beer. It was 5. And it would have been more if my child hadn't woken up and needed me to help rest with her as she fell back asleep.

I will back in that proverbial saddle today.

I do appreciate you all offering kind words. Hope you have a nice start to the weekend.

C

skeletoncrue 07-28-2012 04:43 AM

Yes. Take care of yourself today and get back in that saddle.

You don't ever HAVE to be hungover again.

sugarbear1 07-28-2012 05:42 AM

just keep trying!

Hugs,

MyTimeNow 07-28-2012 05:46 AM

Glad you are back in the saddle :) Never quit quitting!

Weasel1966 07-28-2012 06:22 AM

CFG - I fell this week as well. Still feeling the effects of a two day F up.

I understand in wanting to come here and not have to say this. I seem to fail on a cycle like yours.

My point is that we both really need to want this to make it work. I am seeing things get worse when I do slip and real good when I dont.

Thats not the patteren either of us wants to be on.

Get your self together and keep posting. I will be here as well.

Ken

Jeni26 07-28-2012 06:27 AM

Many of us have been where you are. I hated relapsing, I went straight back to hell and it still haunts me.
Remember how good it felt like to wake up clear-headed and fresh.
That feeling can be yours every day.
Believe in yourself, you can do this. We're all here for you x