Notices

Today I start the journey...

Old 07-26-2012, 09:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today I start the journey...

It's nearly midnight where I am now, and I have almost completed my first day of sobriety. Today also marks six months since I have had a cigarette, so I know that I have the willpower to make another positive life decision now.

I have had a troubled history with alcohol. As a child, I lived with an abusive and alcoholic step-father. I somehow made it through that hell, and I even got through graduate school and landed a great job. For a long time, I thought that I would be okay. But things aren't okay... I know that drinking has hurt just about every area of my life. Every night of drinking only makes the situation more overwhelming and my life more intolerable.

Today I am so glad to have made the decision to take my life back. Truly, it's so freeing just typing those words! I long forward to walking in this journey with new friends here.

To life and sobriety!
~blueshades
Old 07-26-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome blueshades!

It's great to have you with us - Congratulations on making the decision to get sober! Things really will get better!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome, artsoul.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Yea day 1 is done, so glad your here
Old 07-26-2012, 09:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you, Inda!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I personally was one of those people that had to lose it all, 3 dui's, cars, home, jobs, and worst of all my health. We all get here on our own path, but all feel just the same.

But I slowly gained everything and so much more back.

Look forward to reading and watching your journey.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, Inda. My losses have been internal. My life has become a living hell of shame, paranoia, martyrdom, etc. I have isolated myself and used booze to deal with the stress that comes naturally from dealing with other people. Maybe the worst thing has been denying my true nature: not using my talents for good, not taking care of myself, not being thankful for all that I really have... My alcohol use is not at the center of all of this, but it's my 400-pound elephant. I feel that I have to get this right to get started on the rest. I'm finally ready to get started.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Blueshades, great to have you with us. I reached that point when I knew things had to change for me, and it is a new and exciting phase.
I'm 9 weeks sober today and don't regret making that decision. I'm learning so much about myself and everything is just getting so much better. I look forward to sharing your journey with you x
Old 07-26-2012, 10:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your success, Jeni. And thanks!
Old 07-27-2012, 01:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good on you! I hope to make the same journey with you.. A long long journey
Old 07-27-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Blueshades and great job yesterday!

I am new here too. I am beginning Sober Day 2. My losses have all been internal too and I too struggle with shame denying my true nature and taking care of myself. I have recently started re-claiming my creative life and trying to care for myself more. Losing the booze though, that's been what I have been avoiding up until yesterday. I am glad we are all here to help each other along on this difficult road ahead.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and congratulations on your first day. Making the decision to be sober was probably the best thing I've ever done. SR is a great place to find support and understanding... we're all behind you every step of the way. I wish you all the best on your sober journey.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Very good.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soulgypsy View Post
Welcome Blueshades and great job yesterday!

I am new here too. I am beginning Sober Day 2. My losses have all been internal too and I too struggle with shame denying my true nature and taking care of myself. I have recently started re-claiming my creative life and trying to care for myself more. Losing the booze though, that's been what I have been avoiding up until yesterday. I am glad we are all here to help each other along on this difficult road ahead.
Reclaiming the creative is a life choice that I have already started to embrace. I realized at the end of last year how far I had fallen with depression and decided then and there to start singing again. I've since dedicated myself to other affirming creative work.

I still had put off putting down the bottle - - until now. Day Two is only just beginning. I am determined to make this change.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great job your doing so far blue shades! This place is a wealth of information and never ending support, im only on day 4, but its so much easier having this place to turn to . Great to see some other newcomers facing the same journey, i'll be looking out for you :ghug3
Old 07-27-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you, Ash!
Old 07-27-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Welcome! So glad you are here.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you, Live2Run!
Old 07-27-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR blueshades

D
Old 07-27-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blueshades View Post
Reclaiming the creative is a life choice that I have already started to embrace. I realized at the end of last year how far I had fallen with depression and decided then and there to start singing again. I've since dedicated myself to other affirming creative work.

I still had put off putting down the bottle - - until now. Day Two is only just beginning. I am determined to make this change.
Glad you have found your creative voice are singing again. Painting is my creative outlet and I plan to use it to work through some of the emotions that are beginning to well up now that the numbness of alcohol is gone. (I don't imagine these paintings will be pretty.)

Glad you're through Day Two--I'm almost there. Keep up the determination!