Notices

Need AA

Old 07-26-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need AA

Hi all,

I have been here many times and have posted many things. Sadly, things have not been working out for me. I have been drinking daily for months again only to find myself in my garage a few days ago elbow deep in my garbage trying to find two small bottles of whiskey that I had thrown away. I came inside, my arm all sticky from strawberry pie and pop, and even then I didn't realize how pathetic it all had gotten.

I need help, and at this point the only thing I have to go on is AA. I was searching tonight and it all seems very confusing. Each meeting has a different name and it isn't clear to me where I should start. I'm hoping that I still have friends here at SR even though I've neglected you. Do you know where I should start? If I call the hotline number, who am I actually talking to? Members?

I'm so lost and so confused, but not giving up.
Thanks.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not the person to ask Saphira - I'm really pleased you've decided to do something tho

welcome back

D
Old 07-26-2012, 09:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's great that you're not giving up. In my experience if you call the hotline number a member answers and directs you to the nearest meeting at the time you are looking for. I had a lot of luck going online at aa.org to find meetings near me. Yes there are codes and names attached to most meetings . The names are often just names the group came up with and don't always reflect the meeting content. Just go to meeting any meeting right now - newcomers are welcome everywhere and there will be people there who will help you. See if you can get a temporary sponsor right away. I found one at my very first meeting and she literally walked me through those first few months including two relapses. A lot of meetings have members who are willing to talk to a newcomer stand up so you can see them an approach them after the meeting. Hope this helped you and good luck. I know it's scary but you can do it.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm tearing up right now, Dee, because I really have missed you. I feel like I've been gone from myself for so long now... just lost. So much has happened with my family and the first thing I did was turn to the bottle. Sometimes I feel like this problem is never going away. It seems so overwhelming. But I did miss you. Thanks for the welcome back.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just to clarify you don't have to stand up - the members who can help will . I worded that funny .
Old 07-26-2012, 09:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome back saphira -

It's always hard to start again, but remember that things will improve with each day you stay sober. I haven't been to AA for quite a while now, but I wouldn't worry too much about the kind of meeting it is - just pick one and go.....

Just in brief, the "open" meetings can be attended by anyone (not just alcoholics), the "closed" meetings are for those in recovery only. The others are pretty much what they're called: There's the "Big Book Discussion" meetings, "Speaker" meetings, "Beginner's" Meetings (usually a discussion about the 1st step), and I can't think of any others right now.... hm.....

They're all relevant, though, and it's not necessary to attend one before you go to another. Hope that helps - I'm sure others here can speak from their experience, too.

Glad you're making a new start!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I see meeting titles like " a vision for you" "big book autonomous group" "calvary group" "coming of age group" "courage group" "dt group"... etc... I don't see where it clearly says what they do. Help?
Old 07-26-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

To continue from like artsoul said there are lots of names. I am also in the midwest Cleveland actually, and we dont call them speaker meetings like the rest of the country. They are leads, but there are 12x12 meetings. But dont worry about that stuff.

If you call your hotline or home office they can direct you to the close ones by you. And you asked who you talk to , yes they are members that simply volunteer to answer the phones.

AA saved the alcoholic/ addict. And you came to find help, thats the best part. Now just pick up that phone and go to a meeting. Sit and listen and just go with the flow.

Look forward to reading about your day tomorrow.

Good love, Inda
Old 07-26-2012, 10:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Originally Posted by saphira View Post
I see meeting titles like " a vision for you" "big book autonomous group" "calvary group" "coming of age group" "courage group" "dt group"... etc... I don't see where it clearly says what they do. Help?
Those are probably just the names of the groups saphira, if there is a number associated with a name call it and go from there. And of course welcome back to SR. There are also meetings in the chat room here.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Personally, I wouldn't worry about what the group is called. I didn't understand at first either. I just turned up at my local meeting one night, and introduced myself as a newcomer to the first person I met. I was scared but didn't need to be. I was immediately shown such a warm welcome. Good luck. Let us know how it goes x
Old 07-26-2012, 10:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks Saphira

Like others have said it looks like those are the names of the groups...not the meetings

I found this:

Your First AA Meeting<

D
Old 07-26-2012, 11:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Dee beat me to the link I was going to post it too...

Welcome back...

AA has proven to be an exciteing adventure in learning how
to live sober and enjoy it...

I'm pleased you are willing to explore AA...all my best
Old 07-27-2012, 02:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

For those of us who do work the program of AA and who attend meetings, well, we like to have some "fun" and we name our meetings. A meeting is a meeting, some you'll like better than others. Just go to a meeting....some are open (for anyone) and some are closed (for those who are alcoholics and who admit it), some are for women, some for men, some for the GBLT (gay/bi/lesbian/transgender), but all meetings are supposed to carry the message of recovery.

We're all a bit confused at our first few meetings.

I wish you well,
Old 07-27-2012, 02:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saphira View Post
I feel like I've been gone from myself for so long now... just lost.
Welcome Back

Here is a poem that I think you will connect with:

Love After Love

The time will come
when, with elation
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror
and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give (non alcoholic ;-) wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes,
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.

~Derek Walcott~
Old 07-27-2012, 02:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
AA member

Sorry you are struggling saphira.

Call your local helpline number,speak to an AA member that is familiar with your local meetings.They will guide you.

Please dont let your thinking put you off going,mine did for a long time.

If I had only known what a wonderful fellowship AA is I would have been there a lot sooner.

Wishing you well.