Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Today, instead of drinking, I turned and faced my fear of ______?

Notices

Old 07-26-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fill in your answer. Today, instead of drinking, I turned and faced my fear of _________?

For me, today, instead of drinking, I turned and faced: my fear of thunder and lightening. I have had several bad experiences in thunderstorms in the past, and I definitely would be drinking (in the past) to cope. But not this time. Besides, if something dangerous does happen, I need to be sober! Not drunk!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

I faced my fear of my kid not being normal. I coped w all of his bumps in the road w getting sick by drinking. Today I made the decision and did the first steps to get him assessed for selective mutism. I woulda been drunk over that before.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Today I faced a big fear. Some of you will remember that I lost two sisters this year--both to drug/alcohol issues. I have three left, but one of them has fallen off the wagon. She is many years sober and just hasn't been able to handle what we've been through. I haven't done much better but am currently four days sober!

So I talked to my other sister about my own problem (a first) and I talked to the other while she was drinking. Heck, I called her sponsor.

So I admitted my problem to someone who didn't know (even though that will have major repercussions) and I have gotten dinner almost done and am here on SR.

Even sent hubby to the store instead of going myself.

I faced my fear of a bottle and I won! Today.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Today I faced my fear and as a 41 year old very late beginner, I will be playing guitar with my Church's praise team next Sunday.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Today I faced that something is wrong with the dog and I got him an appt at the Vet tonite. Before, I wouldve missed it or dealt with it by drinking. The idea of something being wrong with him makes me severely anxious.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Today instead of drinking, I turned and face my fear of actually having to deal with an unpleasant emotion without alcohol.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Today I faced my fear about the cruise I am taking in a week or so. I do not use AA ( but in case I need to be around sober people on the cruise, and if I cant connect to SR with my cell), then I may have to go to an onboard friends of Bill mtg...
The very thought stirs me up, but not as much as the thought of losing my sobriety. So I asked a friend of mine (who used to use AA alot in the first two years of his recovery) what to expect. This way I know what the meetings are like should I go... So faced my fears of investigating AA in theory instead of drinking!
Old 07-30-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Today, instead of drinking, I faced my fear of pain.
I used to drink when I had arthritis pain and headaches, both of which I have pretty badly today. The pain won't kill me and won't last forever. But alcoholism might if I drank!
Old 07-30-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Talked to my sister on the phone and dealt with the anxiety I always get when doing so. Typically, I would call her after several beers and then not even recall the conversation.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Today instead of drinking, I faced my fear of not drinking. Forever is a long time. My beast doesn't want to die without a fight. It will fight, but it will die, not me. Going the rest of my life without a drink is scary, but it is something I must and will do.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Today instead of drinking, I faced my fear of talking about my drinking on the phone with a recovered friend.

It is one thing to write it on here, quite another to say it out loud. It was a relief to say it and be understood and accepted and advised. If I were drinking, I would not even have answered the phone when it rang.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Today, instead of drinking, I turned and faced my fear of being different. I am taking a cruise and at work person after person brought up all the fun I'll have drinking on the cruise like it is hand in hand with a vacation. They don't know. I stayed quiet. And I felt very strange and anxious and scared that I am going to be different from most people.. But I did not drink. I got on SR. Thanks guys..
Old 08-03-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Tonight instead of drinking I faced my fear of people not liking me. Someone said something nasty to me today at work and I survived. I will go to bed tonight knowing that I'm a decent person and have value and someone's words cannot change that.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Today instead of drinking I faced my fears of socializing at a party where others were drinking and I was not. It was really hard, because when people were drinking and talking to me, alcohol was all I could think of. It was hard to focus and exhausting. But I did it. Heck, it can only get easier. Before I wouldve drank but still been uncomfortable socializing. So same difference.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

"Today, instead of drinking, I turned and faced my fear of _________?"

Reality
Old 08-05-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Today instead of drinking, I turned and faced my fear of being a responsible adult, no excuses.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Today instead of drinking, I turned and faced my fear of failure.

It's me second-guessing and catastrophising. I am undertaking a student placement and my co-ordinator met with my supervisor earlier. I felt really unwell this morning and didn't make it in. I've handed it over. It's easy to negatively forecast, but i've appropriately expressed my concerns with another staff member in the organisation about getting no instruction (even when trying to show initiative), no feedback, not even a greeting most mornings when i've said hello, him disappearing from the building and forgetting me on multiple occasions and dealing with the fact that he appears to have NO interest in supervising a student. It's easy to predict the worst as i'm well-versed in doing that and he could tell my co-ordinator i've been hiding under the desk the entire time for all I know 0_o It will work itself out and I can play my part-only where I can and I acknowledge that
Old 08-05-2012, 11:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Today instead of drinking I face my fear of being not successful at work. I can only be the best of myself. Cannot do more than that.

Just for today I will be happy

;-)
Old 08-11-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This week instead of drinking I turned and faced my fear of feeling profoundly lonely and feeling very overwhelmed amongst crowds of people.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Today, instead of drinking, I turned and faced my fear ________

Of the future and the pain and uncertainty it may hold. Although frightened, I did not drink.