Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Today, instead of drinking, I turned and faced my fear of ______?

Notices

Today, instead of drinking, I turned and faced my fear of ______?

Old 09-25-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Today, instead of drinking, I turned and faced my fear of feeling deep grief.

It is so sad. I know drinking will stop me from moving through grief, and that is why I don't medicate it with alcohol anymore.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Today instead of drinking, I turned and faced my fear regarding, my daughters health.,. She had a bunch of heart tests done to see if she had a heart attack. She is only thirty. Thankfully, she did not. She is okay. I would have used this as an excuse to drink before. And never stop.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

Today instead of drinking, I turned and faced my fear of.......

feeling guilty about being such a blabbermouth....
i always just run straight to the bottle so i don't have to think about what the consequences will be or what someone else thought of me. i just told myself it's ok, you are ok, it's gonna be ok. and then substituted taking a nap and getting on the computer and involving myself online.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Today instead of drinking, I turned and faced my fear of not functioning.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Today, instead of continuing to drink, I faced my fear of the past and the regrets I have. Much easier to just numb with alcohol to not care anymore, but choosing that road only fuels more regrets and more uncomfortable memories. I muscled through the cravings and hope for some sleep tonight!
Old 10-14-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

there is a Song I was just 19 and a line tell me doctor why I can't sleep at night, big fear of mine.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Today instead of drinking I faced my fear of trusting in the future.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Today, instead of drinking, I turned and faced my fear of being an orphan and unmarried.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Inspector

Today I will face my fear of the building inspector coming to approve (?) the small restaurant I'm trying to open after 6 months of work on an old building under a tight budget and lots of debt. I'm only on day 5 and my normal reaction would be to drink for either good news or bad news. Hope I can handle it.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Today, instead of drinking, I went to see a counselor.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Today, instead of drinking, I turned and faced my fear of myself. I've been allowing my mind to let me think I miss a past relationship and that its a good idea to rediscover it. No its not, I've come too far to allow selfish thoughts in my mind corrupt what I know is right and go against them. For that path will bring with it my downfall back into madness. Not today Dust, not tomorrow, not ever will talking to her bring any sort of light into your life.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Today instead of drinking, I had a visit with my sister and did not let the visit become a drunken afternoon. Instead I treated myself to a nice scarf and got on SR when I got home...
Old 10-17-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Today I honestly had no fear to face. I can only say that I'm happy sober.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Faced my fear of being with a loved one that i drank heavily with for years, and neither of us drank, and enjoyed each others company.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i faced my fear of getting in shape! i joined a gym yesterday and met with a personal trainer today for my free session. he kicked my butt and i got to see how weak my muscles have become while i've been drinking. quite a wake up call. but i'm in the saddle now and i'm going to ride this fitness pony as hard as i can. these 7 months have proved that i am not afraid of hard work and i am not afraid of making a lifestyle change. i cannot fail if i apply myself and i believe in myself again.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Informing the rest of my family that I did indeed relapse but today am back on track. That there is no point of putting the front up that I was sober when I really wasn't.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

I faced a fear of asking people if I could use them as a reference.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Today I faced my fear of feeling and let myself cry. I also signed myself up for 2 dance lessons at Alvin Ailey. I was sad and disappointed today but I didn't drink it off.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Ladybone, i think it's so important that we allow ourselves to feel those negative emotions and not just gloss over them. i was angry a few days ago and my first instinct was to get wasted. instead, i had to realize that anger is a valid, human emotion. i am allowed to get angry. we're allowed to be sad. we have to feel these emotions and move through them, experience them in their entirety to deal with them. when we get angry or sad and turn right to the drink, we cut ourselves off from these emotions and we deny ourselves the experience. we don't get to feel the emotion from beginning to end and we have no hope of ever feeling any kind of resolve or release. i know that for me, feeling an emotion from beginning to end gives me a better perspective of the whole experience. i am better able to understand what led me to the emotion and how i'm going to work through it. alcohol just left me flapping in the wind. it left me confused as to how i got there and it left me feeling so very lost. i may not like the negative emotions, but at least when i'm sober and i'm done with my rant or my good hard cry, i'm not nearly as befuddled as i was when i was coming off a bender. i feel...human.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Nice work on the gym displaced. It's become a huge part of my life and my recovery. I let me diet and exercise go these past 5 years, but I'm back at it hard and it's going well. Stick with it, you'll live it! A healthy abuse of our body, especially in comparison to booze!