Notices

So Ashamed...

Old 07-26-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So Ashamed...

Okay... I really hate to admit this but I fell off the wagon. I am so ashamed of myself. I was doing so well. I think its time to actually go to a meeting. This might help tremendously. Therefore I am now detoxing from a 6 day binge (about a fifth a day) if that is even considered detoxing after 6 days. Im in pain but not as bad as the original detox. I had my last drink at 6pm yesterday.

My father is an alcoholic as well. He used to be an AA sponsor and I didn't see him drink a day in my life. That was until I was 24 (26 now). Yesterday I got a call to tell me that he was drunk and fell in the bathroom, cut up his face, knocked himself out and almost bled to death. Someone only found him because the dog wouldn't stop barking. I DO NOT WANT TO END UP LIKE THIS. Do people believe that the alcoholic gene runs in families?

I want to be a better version of myself. I need to do this for myself. There needs to be serious changes in my life.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The gene does run in families, BUT, there is more to it than that. I believe it also takes certain circumstances in our lives to bring it all together in a perfect storm. I hope your father is alright, but you don't need to end up like him. This is your life and your choice.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Jme... so sorry that you fell off the wagon, but it's not too late to flag it down, and jump back on! My dad is also an alcoholic. I went to visit him in the hospital after her almost died from a 2 week whiskey binge. The moment I saw him, I knew I had a problem, and I couldn't drink. That was 54 days ago. Maybe you should visit him. It can really open your eyes.. (hugs)
Old 07-26-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

C.J. glad to hear you are going to go to AA meetings.

I lead a 3rd Step table this morning, there were 4 at the table. Total sobriety time 134 yrs. I was the "pup" with 23 yrs.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-26-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Do I believe that alcoholism is inherited? It doesn't matter if I believe it, I don't find it helpful to believe it, so I don't.

We each of us must play the hand we are dealt, in every aspect of our lives. We have the responsibility to make the best out that hand. Our lives lie in the present moment, and how that moment can determine our future. We each of us have the choice and the power to live a sober and empowered life.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

cool beans on ya gettin to the point so many of us had to get to and very sorry to hear about yer dad fallin off the wagon. is there any chance you may be able to take him to a meeting with ya?
but 1st things 1st: please remember to do it for you!!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I live in Montana and my parents are in Michigan. I haven't told them I have a problem and have been debating it. No one in my family knows the amount of alcohol I drink
Old 07-26-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I think if there is alcoholism in your family there's a better chance you'll have the problem, but plenty of people have it in their genes and don't. Perfect storm was a great way to describe it. I have a lot of drinkers in my family and I have the problem. I think I was affected more by the lifestyle than the physical tendencies. Family occasions involved booze, although mom was a very light drinker. All of my favorite adults were drinkers when I was growing up. They were fun, the ones who started the party when they arrived, the ones that talked like friends, not adults, to a shy teenager. My dad threw great parties and was very social. I just grew up thinking it was fun to have drinks. It was fun to have drinks back then. It's just not fun now when I see what it does to people long term, and I see how it's messed up my life in many ways.

I'm glad someone found your dad in time. That's very scary. Good for you to want to make a change now, at a young age!!
Old 07-26-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Sorry for you stumble and for your father lapse.

I totally believe in the gene's but we have the choice in this change work and have a life without the drink.

I am a AA person myself , but whatever you might like use it. Your worth every bit of hard work.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just talked to my dad today. I told him how I was going to start attending AA. I dont think he thought I had such a problem. He said that was good news. He told me about how he led AA meetings as a counselor and was a sponsor. He sounds like he wants to quit. The doctor had a talk with him about being blacked out wasted at 70 years old and how its affecting his body. He starts a pill that will make him ill if he drinks so hopefully this works out. Thanks SR! I am feeling a bit better about everything.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your stumble Jme - but I really hope this can be a turning point for you
It takes a lot of change - serious change like you said - but it's so so worth it

Welcome back
D
Old 07-26-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad you were able to speak with your Dad about this. Also glad you're feeling a bit better.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I think it's great that you shared with your dad! I remember how hard it was to tell my parents, but they were really understanding and supportive. It's always a relief to be able to be honest anyway.

Now the two of you have this connection and who knows - you might have really inspired him to want to get better.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

So glad you got to talk to your father and that he may try to quit. Also glad that you will be going to a meeting.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That's awesome you can talk to your dad about everything. Try not to beat yourself up too much and lOok at it as a learning experience. I also am starting over again today after falling back into my old drinking ways this whole week.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My dad was also an alcoholic. When I was very young, he was the life of a party and so much fun to be around. Then as a young adult it became embarrassing. One time he passed out on a dance floor and was taken away by an ambulance during my sister’s birthday party. For many years we tried everything to help him. Went to Al-Anon and tried an intervention. He made it to sobriety for several years, and then fell hard. Eventually he actually chose suicide by alcohol. It was slow and painful and quite frankly disgusting. He succeeded at the age of 73.

As I progressed in my drinking, going from the party allure to the use of it as a means of escape, I began to come to an understanding of him and to a new found forgiveness.

I hope to walk this road with you, Jme. I am on day 4. Here’s to a successful Friday!