Notices

I didn't think I need help, but I do.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I didn't think I need help, but I do.

I rarely drank when I was in my teens and early 20's. When I turned 21 I would go out and have the occasional fun night with friends and that was about it. Then around 22/23 I found myself buying beer more and more often. I have gained 40 pounds in 4 years. I don't want to do anything anymore, and I fin myself using beer as a way to escape my anxiety and back pain. I have drank ever night for the last 2 weeks. I usually drink at least 8-12 beers a night 3-5 times a week. I have recently discovered I am goin to be a father, and I decided its time to grow up and deal with my fears and pain. I keep using drinking as a way to "relax and unwind" but I find it only works for a few hours. Then I have to deal with the hangover, anxiety, and worry the next day. It's just not worth it anymore. My blood pressure is getting higher, my cholesterol is high, and I just plain feel unhealthy. I'm only 26. I joined these forums hoping to find support and lend mine to others. I have more important things to focus on rather than when I'm going to crack open that next beer...
Old 07-26-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Doogie

It sounds like you have a good understanding of your situation. Do you have a plan for quitting? I'm sure you'll find lots of help and support here x
Old 07-26-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My plan includes exercise, helping my fiancé with planning for the baby, and getting support from friends and family, especially of I have a craving. I quit for 5 months a few years ago, and then my fiancé (girlfriend at the time) an I went through a rough patch so I started hitting the bars again. I am just going to stay positive and tell myself it's not worth it. I'd much rather have an ice cold water and feel good, than an ice cold beer that leads to a twelve pack, then hangover and disappointment.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

...and you will have more money for diapers

Congratulations on becoming a dad, your engagement, and on making the decision to quit drinking. It took me forever to admit I had a problem and get any help, bit I am glad that I did.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Indeed. Welcome to SR, and congrats on realising you have a problem. It took me... quite a while to realise that I did. You're in a good place to get help and support. All I can say is make the most of it.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Doogie, are you attending AA meetings?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-26-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome

We all think we can do it alone , I believe. I know I did, and I know I cant. I proved over and over. AA and SR help save this alcoholic and addict everyday.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Doogie

D
Old 07-26-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doogie19 View Post
My plan includes exercise, helping my fiancé with planning for the baby, and getting support from friends and family, especially of I have a craving. I quit for 5 months a few years ago, and then my fiancé (girlfriend at the time) an I went through a rough patch so I started hitting the bars again. I am just going to stay positive and tell myself it's not worth it. I'd much rather have an ice cold water and feel good, than an ice cold beer that leads to a twelve pack, then hangover and disappointment.
Hi Doogie,

Fair enough to you for recognising that you have a problem, and seeking out support. This website is a really top resource for support and advice, which I plan to come to daily for motivating myself to stay sober.

I know where you are at with the binge drinking, I also mostly get wasted on beer. 1 or 2 always leads to 15 or 20 then black outs, shame and self-loathing. My wife is also expecting (due in 5 months), so I have also decided to sort my shite out and stop. Im only at day 2 now, but coming on here and seeing all the support and people giving strength to one another is an inspiration to get sober and be there for my little one when he/she arrives, and of course my wife.

Welcome and good luck...
Old 07-26-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are not alone, friend! I am in the same boat. We can do this.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Doogie! Your right, we are young, but we are TOO old to be living this carelessly! Congrats on getting sober! You'll find it's the best decision you could have ever made