Notices

Monday night almost relapsed, AA rescued me last night

Old 07-25-2012, 11:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Monday night almost relapsed, AA rescued me last night

Hi Everyone,

I almost relapsed in Tuesday night. We found out that my Sister in law has ovarian cancer. I am devastated for her and for my sister (they are gay) Like a bolt out of the blue the cravings were back. I had that feeling in my chest and I thought the only thing that will help is that warm spreading glow of alcohol. I managed Tuesday night but when I woke up on Wednesday it was still there. This is ridiculous of course because I used to drink every single night so it's not like it was my coping strategy anyway - it was my everything strategy!

Anyway I went to a meeting last night and my sponsor couldn't be there so she asked her sponsor to speak to me. She told me to man up and stop thinking that I need wine because my poor SIL has cancer. She said its time for me to be a big girl now and use my sobriety to help my sister and my sister in law instead of moping. I feel so much better today and I feel ready to help them take on this battle. I just wanted to share that. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your sister and SIL epskie - best wishes to them.

I'm really glad you made a positive choice tho

D
Old 07-26-2012, 01:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hiya x
So sorry to hear your news, but what a grown up response you made. Reckon it's so easy to fall back into old ways, it's such an ingrained coping strategy in times of crisis. Except of course it doesn't help us cope at all, it just makes things unbelievably worse.
Now your sis and her partner have you as a strong supporter during their time of need. That is brilliant!
You are doing so so well xxx
Old 07-26-2012, 01:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear about your Sister in Law Epskie. I'm sure your sister will appreciate having you around as a support sober though Love to you all xxx
Old 07-26-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your sister in law xxx
Old 07-26-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very sorry that your sister-in-law and sister are going through this. But, yes, you have an opportunity to be there for both of them. They will need your strength and support, sober. Good for you for getting through that.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Sorry about your sister. That is so great that you went to a meeting instead of drinking.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Really saddened to hear about your SiL. Hope they've caught it early, and that she gets the treatment she needs ASAP. Well done for not drinking Epskie. That took a lot. At least sober you'll be able to be there for them.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Glad you went to the meeting . I use them almost daily when I always used to drink. For when I am happy,sad,bored, anxious, ect. I drank for every feeling so now I go to meeting instead. That is the best f2f support.

Prayers for your sister sent.