SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   The EXTREME urge to drink. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/263474-extreme-urge-drink.html)

Dominica2 07-25-2012 03:41 PM

The EXTREME urge to drink.

I knew this would happen. I am sitting here with a headache gritting my teeth. I keep on trying to go to the liquor store. I don't even want beer, I want vodka. I wish I could just block all of this **** out and be numb for a night. I am really trying to abstain. The stress I have been dealing with is really starting to take a toll on me, physically and emotionally. I apologize for the rant, but I feel lost, pissed off, anxious and depressed at the same time and I can't run to alcohol like I am so used to doing with all of my problems. I am a trainwreck.

Dom

Dee74 07-25-2012 03:46 PM

Now's the time to sit on SR and/or call those AA numbers Dom - use all the support you have....you can get through this.

Wanting to drink to blot things out is understandable - you've had a terrible thing happen to you.

But don't add to that by doing something terrible to yourself.

None of us ever wake up the next day glad we drank.

Feelings can be terrible...but feelings are not who we are.
Don't add to the bad stuff.

D

willquit 07-25-2012 03:47 PM

Stay on here. Go to back to old threads keep reading. Put in a movie. Occupy you self, you need to do that today. Stay strong.

neferkamichael 07-25-2012 03:49 PM

Hang in there Dominica, resist the urge, please don't do it. It'll only make things worse in the long run. :egypt:

Jeni26 07-25-2012 03:51 PM

Stay with us Dom. We are all here to support you xxx

Stevie1 07-25-2012 03:53 PM

Dom I'm sorry. I had that yesterday.
Urge surf, urge surf, urge surf.
Mindfulness

I hope you don't drink!

Rossy 07-25-2012 03:55 PM

Don't do it Dom,drinking always makes things worse rather than better.

skeletoncrue 07-25-2012 04:11 PM

If I think I have the urge to go drink, I just remember that it is my addiction that wants to go drink, not me.

I don't want to drink. I remember all the agony it caused. I remember the hangovers. I remember trying to go into work like that, probably reeking of alcohol. I remember watching all my money disappear. I remember wondering the next morning, how in the hell did I drive home last night without killing myself or somebody else. I remember all the things that I did that I regretted, with people I didn't even know. I remember that it is a miracle I am alive.

My addiction doesn't care about any of that. It just wants the pleasure of the drink. I can't blame it. It originates in the more primative pleasure seeking part of my brain. That's its job, to seek pleasure. It's helped the human species survive as long as it has by doing its job.

But I crossed a threshold with alcohol and became addicted. The good thing is, I don't have to listen to my addiction. I don't care if it wants a drink. Good for IT. But I'm in control of my legs, my arms and my mouth and I DO NOT want a drink because I know what the consequences will be.

No thank you. I think I will watch Wheel of Fortune instead and have a good night's sleep and wake up feeling good. THAT is better than any drink.

Have I ever drank and been glad I did?

NEVER.

Have I ever drank and regretted it?

EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Zee 07-25-2012 04:12 PM

I posted here yesterday, wanting alcohol. I got through the urge, and you can do it too. Its tough isn't it. But you have to do it yourself. Dig deep. I'm watching a movie now and am on SR too. It works. Just get through tonight Dom xxxx

MetalChick 07-25-2012 04:24 PM

It is understandable after what you have been through, but please don't do it.

Do you have your daughter with you? Maybe the two of you could watch a movie or something (not sure of her age).

Hugs

katiedid722 07-25-2012 04:34 PM

If there's something that relaxes you - take a bath while listening to some music really loud where it blocks out other stuff, WORK OUT find something you love to do that leaves your mind a complete blank while your doing it. Dancing is this way for me - all I can think about is the next move I'm supposed to make. Buy a DVD if you don't have any classes in your area :) Good luck, you can do this lady!!

Anna 07-25-2012 04:40 PM

Hang in there, Dom!

Getting through these tough moments is hard, but you will feel so good tomorrow.

Weasel1966 07-25-2012 05:52 PM

Dom. Please believe something.

I have followed you.... Read your posts.... Tried very hard to understand what you went through. Still .... You have so much power. So much at your disposal.

Please be secure in only that you... You... Are really special in a lot of ways.

Take a tight grip if that's what it takes.,..

I will do the same.

All my best to you!!!!

RevivingOphelia 07-25-2012 05:55 PM

Sending strength and solace to you, Dom.

Stevie1 07-25-2012 05:56 PM

Dom, hoping you are doing OK tonight.

Dominica2 07-25-2012 06:06 PM

I didn't drink and I wont tonight. Thank you all so much. I just ate a really huge burger and some ice cream. Day 12 here I come. I thought I was going crazy for a few minutes, but you guys got me through it. I really appreciate everything.

Stevie1 07-25-2012 06:08 PM

((Dominica))
GOOD for you!

bloss 07-25-2012 06:18 PM

You made it through today!

NatalieN 07-25-2012 06:19 PM

Great to hear you didn't drink Dominica. You've inspired me. Thank you.

NoFireWater 07-25-2012 06:34 PM

So glad you were able to resist! You'll wake up proud instead of ashamed :)