Notices

Loser Alcoholic

Old 07-25-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Lightbulb Loser Alcoholic

I often wonder if the experiences of being an alcoholic and drug user were necessary? Could I have avoided this road by making other choices? At what moment did this become what it has become?

I can tell you with great certainty about that moment. I read about it everyday on SR. By coming here I have understood so much more than if I never typed "loser alcoholic" into google.

It's day 9 or 10 for me. I am not a day counter. I am choosing to measure things by how much of my life gets put back together.

Am I a better person today for my failures or successes? The case can be made for both. But I am truly more grateful for my alcoholism and drug abuse than any other thing in my life.

Let me correct that. I am more grateful for the moment I realized I needed help. That's the exact moment when things went from what they were to what they have become.

I read nearly everyday about someone new coming here to ask if they are an alcoholic? Or That they have made the decision to stop. It's not the declaration that moves me as much as the fact yet another life, not unlike mine, will forever be changed in that moment.

I say moment but we all know if was far from a single point in time. We go back and forth... Up and down... Over and under... before we pin it down.

I have never accomplished anything in my life unless I embraced what it was I wanted. My greatest achievements came from the most honest embrace.

There's no more "why me" questions. I am starting to ask why not me? I get such an interesting reply when I ask that question. It helps me see the good that can come from things.

It helps me make that moment I asked for help mean more than anything I ever did in my life.

I feel strong in my sobriety and recovery.

There's only open road ahead.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Best of luck and all things good to you weasel in this journey. its a good road. God bless ya
Old 07-25-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I will not forget the past nor shut the door on it.

I dont know if it was all in the great plan that I had to be the alkie and addict that I was, but I accept it fully. And proud of the person I am now and continue to work toward.

Phase 3 of my life is grand.

Stay on the beam and keep doing what you do.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
I have never accomplished anything in my life unless I embraced what it was I wanted. My greatest achievements came from the most honest embrace.

There's no more "why me" questions. I am starting to ask why not me? I get such an interesting reply when I ask that question. It helps me see the good that can come from things.

It helps me make that moment I asked for help mean more than anything I ever did in my life.

I feel strong in my sobriety and recovery.

There's only open road ahead.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Thanks Weasel ,
I needed something like this today, M
Old 07-25-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Glad it helped M.

Robby..... I can always count on you to present back to me the key thoughts in my posts. You provide keen insight to everyone you respond to. I get a lot from what you post. Thank you.

I am still struggling a lot.... But I really think this will stick this time.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Why not me?! Great question. I love it.

For me that 'moment' of realization has lasted for years.