Notices

is this allowed?

Old 07-24-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

is this allowed?

Cooking today and i realised i put some red wine into the tomato sauce, is this a no no?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My take on this is that I never used food in red wine sauce to get drunk.

I had a similar dish last week and it didn't compromise my sobriety at all
Old 07-24-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Ash, who's approval are you seeking? The alcohol used in cooking is typically cooked off and poses little risk to anyone feeling anything from it.

The question is can you have it in the house and cook with it before it presents an issue for you.

To that question only you can answer it.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Ash, who's approval are you seeking? The alcohol used in cooking is typically cooked off and poses little risk to anyone feeling anything from it.

The question is can you have it in the house and cook with it before it presents an issue for you.

To that question only you can answer it.
This.

I'm the queen of cereal and pb&j this summer, but when I was cooking this wouldn't have bothered me. With that said- my house is also full of beer, wine, and booze, but I know it's not for me to drink and I have no problem leaving it alone.

Only you can decide
Old 07-24-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also ditto what Weasel said.

Thoroughly cooked, the alcohol dissipates. Personally, early in sobriety I would avoid wine-based sauces but that's just me; I don't think it's really a big deal though.

I sure can NOT have alcohol of any kind in my house, otherwise I'll drink it. If you can have the wine around and refrain from drinking it, that's great...but you're the only one with the answer to that!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, i thought the alcohol was cooked off but just wanted to check! Wine is fine in the house its simply vodka and red bull for me
Old 07-24-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Two months in my aunt popped a vodka soaked tomato in my mouth as a supprise (she did'nt know i'd given up) , Boy what a supprise !

For me it's about not deliberately seeking alcohol out and not getting a buzz from it . i suppose most fruits as soon as picked will start going off/fermenting and i'm not going to stop eating them , although i probaly wouldn't have a brandy soaked flaming christmass pudding .

M
Old 07-24-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

As a chef for 20 years, I do still cook with food though its rare at home. Just cause I dont like having it around. It is up to you and how you work your sobriety.

But fyi, to all it depends on how your cooking, because adding to sauce sorry to say doesnt cook off. In fact most times cooking with alcohol you dont burn it off. But keep in mind it is small amount. But feel free to look it up.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IndaMiricale View Post
As a chef for 20 years, I do still cook with food though its rare at home. Just cause I dont like having it around. It is up to you and how you work your sobriety.

But fyi, to all it depends on how your cooking, because adding to sauce sorry to say doesnt cook off. In fact most times cooking with alcohol you dont burn it off. But keep in mind it is small amount. But feel free to look it up.
Wait. What?
Old 07-24-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I won't add liqueurs to desserts, I'll use a fruit puree or compote instead. But wine to a risotto or to my osso bucco? You betcha. That cooks very well so there is no more than a few per cent of the original alcohol left. Vanilla extract is something I use freely too, but just not in the risotto or braised meat dishes.

I was nervous shall we say about buying the wine for the first time, walking past the Smirnoff display, but that was another milestone I passed back then. Now I can have even an open bottle of wine in the cupboard for cooking without thinking about it at all.

And food is one of my favorite things to cook with too.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I ate some beer battered fish and chips the other day (the fish were beer battered alone, of course) and its fine. Just don't think about it. It's an ingredient.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I am with freshstart, I couldnt imagine eating Osso Bucco or my absolute fav, Veal Marsala, creme brulee, the list is endless. LOL. but thats me and you find many totally stay away from it with cooking and some dont, its all with you and your sobriety remember that.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

I am so pleased this is being discussed.

I was concerned about alcohol in food. Don't think I would cook with it at home but if is was in something when I was eating out I won't worry too much - savoury dishes I am thinking off. Wouldn't have alcohol in desserts as it would taste very much of what ever had been added.

Also there is alcohol in the house but as has been said I know it is not for me so I don't touch it.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
Two months in my aunt popped a vodka soaked tomato in my mouth as a supprise (she did'nt know i'd given up) , Boy what a supprise !

For me it's about not deliberately seeking alcohol out and not getting a buzz from it . i suppose most fruits as soon as picked will start going off/fermenting and i'm not going to stop eating them , although i probaly wouldn't have a brandy soaked flaming christmass pudding .

M
LOL! I can only imagine the facial expression :rotfxko
Old 07-24-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stevie1 View Post
Wait. What?
think Inda means wine-that's how I read it-not sure....
Old 07-24-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

All these meals sound delicious. We should start a cooking forum next!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I make chicken marsala with marsala wine ans sherry. I cok it down and don't taste the alcohol. It's not a trigger for me so i don't consider it to be a problem. Yet i don't use mouthwash with alcohol.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Having alcohol of any kind available for me
to cook with, medicines such as cough syrup
to take for illness is too much of a temptation
and has no business in my home.

Even tho I have 21 yrs. sobriety, all it would
take is someone to pizz me off, spiritually low,
or just because to easily reach for poison that
would eventually kill me. One sip would never
be enough to satisfy my cravings for it. So why
play with fire?
Old 07-24-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by IndaMiricale View Post
I think Dee has a good link about cooking with wine or alcohol. From what I remember about it, like Inda said, most times cooking with alcohol you don't burn it off.

With that said, it's your recovery. You're going to get tons of different opinions on this, some of them very passionate. Bottom line, do what your gut tells you to do. You only have to be right with yourself.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by justhadenough View Post
think Inda means wine-that's how I read it-not sure....
No I mean all alcohol. Wine,beer, booze,mead,barley wine sorry folks all of it . LOL

If you like just look up Alcohol Burn off Chart. And you get a understanding of what happens.

Now I am hungry :rotfxko so keep cooking all.