SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Newbie here, and I think it's time to get some help. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/263381-newbie-here-i-think-its-time-get-some-help.html)

cvraider03 07-24-2012 01:45 PM

Newbie here, and I think it's time to get some help.

Hi all,

Just discovered your forum for the first time in my life today, and I'm a little surprised it took me so long. I am 26 year old male, living in Oregon

I started seeing a councelor about 2 weeks ago once a week, and last session he pointed out to me that I'm an Alcoholic, I was like who me, no way...but it truly is the truth and I have to accept that. Tomorrow when I see him I am going to request a referral to a detox center, as I have been drinking almost daily for more than a year now, clearly this coming down process isn't going to be easy. Just to 'take the pain' away of things that I've been going through, and to have more fun with friends. I thought I was just depressed, turns out I was just making this worse.

I took last night off from drinking (which was so difficult), I have been feeling very sick today, light headed, and I have a headache. These are symptoms I've experienced before, so of course I had another drink to make them go away.

I know this is gonna be a very long and difficult road for me, I have looked up some AA meetings in the area so I know they are available to me. I think i may actually have a friend who has been going to one so I may ask for some help. This is the first I've dealt with this straight on, it feels like a relief and terror at the same time. How am I gonna be able to function without Alcohol??!!!

Hevyn 07-24-2012 01:51 PM

Hi cv! I felt the same way in the beginning - a relief & terror at the same time describes it well in those first few days. You're 26 - I was in my 50's when I finally quit. You won't have the terrible regrets and drama that so many of us have. Be proud of your decision & don't give up fighting for a better life.

I think the AA meeting is a good idea to try. SR will give you a place to come to at any time of day or night, too. Proud of you for facing your problem and taking charge! You can do this.

IndaMiricale 07-24-2012 02:06 PM

:welcome

Glad to hear you taking steps in this journey. And you found a great place here. Keep reading and posting. :)

RevivingOphelia 07-24-2012 02:09 PM

welcome and all the best :)

2granddaughters 07-24-2012 02:17 PM

Welcome cvraider03:

You have the opportunity to change your life at a young age. Please take it.

I found sobriety in A.A.. It may just be the ticket for you as well.

All the best.

Bob R

Stevie1 07-24-2012 02:28 PM

Hi cv and welcome!

Dee74 07-24-2012 02:33 PM

Welcome cvraider :)

I didn't know how I was going to live without alcohol either - but I trusted the guys here who said it would be ok...and they were right :)

It;s not always easy - especially in the early days, but I've never regretted my decision - my life is amazing now...I love it. I never dreamed I'd be able to say that :)

You'll find a lot of support here - good to have you join us :)

D

cvraider03 07-24-2012 02:35 PM

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I have been spending today reading a lot of the posts and I see that lots of people are going through the same things I am. It's only day 1 and I exect I'll be feeling lousy for a few more until I get over the initial hump

Zebra1275 07-24-2012 03:58 PM

Welcome!

How am I gonna be able to function without Alcohol??!!!

If you stop drinking on a daily basis and get sober, some day you're going to ask yourself "How did I ever function with Alcohol?

Sentso 07-24-2012 04:20 PM

Welcome cv!
It's awesome that you found SR. I'm just a couple years older than you, and found this site a few weeks ago, and it helps me daily. Without SR I'm pretty sure I'd be drinking tonight.
It is heartening to know that other young people do try to quit drinking.
Keep coming here, it'll help!

(P.S: I've been to Portland a couple times and loved it there!)

least 07-24-2012 04:21 PM

I also wondered what I"d do with myself if I didn't drink: the answer is "anything"!:) And do it much better too.:)

Glad you're going to a detox center as alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous. Be safe in starting your new life.

Welcome to the family! :ghug3

DisplacedGRITS 07-24-2012 04:26 PM

you'll be able to function. it'll just be in a totally different way then how you're functioning now. think about it. if you're anything like i was, alcohol has turned your life upside down. you're totally dependent on it. it's Mother's Milk to you. well, without it your life is going to be turned rightside up. it'll be poison to you. and you'll have a life back. where doors were closed to you and you didn't see options, there will be opportunities. where you were lost in life, you will see a path and be confident enough to take it. fear will be replaced with hope and if you are honest in your sobriety, relief. you will see your efforts rewarded if you work hard. life without alcohol is not only possible, it's rewarding and engaging. it's even fun! it gives you pride and a feeling of self worth. at least, that is what it's doing for me and i'm just your average, run of the mill alcoholic.

Anna 07-24-2012 04:36 PM

Hi CVRaider,

Welcome!

I'm glad that you have made the decision to live a sober life. It's good that you've got a counsellor to help you through the process. You'll feel better before long. :)

tomsteve 07-24-2012 04:37 PM

glad to meet ya and see ya here.
i belive the relief is from surrender.
the fear of not knowing how to function without alcohol is somrthing i can relate to. using alcohol for everything was all i knew. that fear was of the unknown. i had to get me some courage. that plus i knew in my heart that alcohol wasnt helping and wasnt gonna help anymore.
i also went to AA. the program and the fellowship taught me how to function.

cvraider03 07-24-2012 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sentso (Post 3503335)
Welcome cv!
It's awesome that you found SR. I'm just a couple years older than you, and found this site a few weeks ago, and it helps me daily. Without SR I'm pretty sure I'd be drinking tonight.
It is heartening to know that other young people do try to quit drinking.
Keep coming here, it'll help!

(P.S: I've been to Portland a couple times and loved it there!)

I'm glad your experience in Portland was good, and I do love where I live, and I hope that can get me through this in more ways than 1. I am trying to stay busy tonight but I can't stop thinking about drinking, it is so overwhelming. :c029:

I have had episodes of sobriety before but clearly this has progressed very far now....

soberbrooke 07-24-2012 07:29 PM

I felt the same way and I was introduced to AA at 16, I am now 42 and AA finally is working for me.
I sure wish I would have gotten it when I was 26!!! That is great u are so young and thinking about quitting!

cvraider03 07-24-2012 09:10 PM

I have been going through a lot tonight, lots of crying, vomiting, hopefully I can fall asleep soon. This must be the true person coming out who has been numbing himself for so long

DisplacedGRITS 07-24-2012 09:16 PM

there is. it takes time. be gentle with yourself because the first few days are the hardest especially with the physical withdrawal. have faith in yourself.

auden67 07-24-2012 09:51 PM

Sometimes I wished I had quit, so I could go back and tell myself, "Think of all the adventures you'll have!!" :) Take this wonderful giFt you are,giving yourself and run with it!

auden67 07-24-2012 09:52 PM

*quit at 26. Sorry, typing on tablet. ;)