Notices

Hello & Thankyou!

Old 07-24-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Hello & Thankyou!

Hello everyone

I have been steadily reducing and controlling my alcohol consumption after lurking on this forum for a couple of months. I registered yesterday and the lovely CarolID PMd me to say Hi & welcome. As I can't reply to PMs yet, I thought it was time to say hello and post a little bit about me. (Hello Carol!)

I have been concerned about the level of my drinking for a few years, but as all my friends are the same it really only came out as giving up alcohol for lent every year.

I mostly binge drink at weekends and often have blackouts. I'm relatively lucky that I have managed to escape any hideous consequences and have always had friends that make sure I get home ok. I am so lucky, I know.

I really am hoping to take it to the next level and enjoy life sober. I know if I don't that I will progress into a daily drinker (I have read enough on here to know that it is a progressive disease and that I don't think moderation is a long term option for me)

I've got the usual tales of drunken behaviour: the poor bedfellow choices, the shame and paranoia of things said/done, the 'sick days' at work, letting down family and friends because I am too hungover to honour my plans. I could go on......

Anyway the thankyou is because you have all helped me get a handle on my drinking and question what I am doing. I am currently a 'considered' drinker since reading this forum I haven't had more than the recommended daily units for a female in the UK. It's all thanks to you all for being so open and sharing about your experiences.

I'm at at the stage now where I may as well give up as there is no buzz sticking to the recommended units and it is really only a matter of time before I binge. Apparently I am a hilarious drunk (never abusive or violent) and this has kept from dealing with my problem. However, I am also hilarious sober as many Lent experiences have proven.

I'm quite excited and scared to enter the next stage of my life sans booze but I'm ready and so is my skin and liver!

I look forward to meeting you all properly now

Sarah
Old 07-24-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard Sarah

Its a pleasure to have you here, and glad you found us. Just keep reading and posting you will meet many great people.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((Sarah)) - Welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-24-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Sazzle! We're happy you joined us.

I spent far too many precious years insisting I could control the amounts I drank. I wish I'd realized long ago that I couldn't trust myself once that first drink hit my system. So much misery could've been avoided. Glad you are taking charge of your life and getting it right.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Sarah

D
Old 07-24-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Sarah. I am on Day 2 but feeling strong. These first days can be exciting because there is hope of something better!
Old 07-24-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Sarah!

You'll find lots of support here.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Sarah, Welcome to SR! I am newly sober and it sounds like our circumstances are similar. I dont post often but this forum helps tremendously. See you around.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Sarah! I like the way you think! Keep us updated. Take care.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Welcome sarah!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the warm welcome everyone. I have blamed my binge drinking on everyone else's encouragement and also considered it a side effect of my ADs. I'm on Citalopram (celexa in the US?) and have read about it increasing alcohol and carb cravings. That is how I found this forum. I'm tapering off under my Doctors guidance BUT it's not the reason I lost my off switch!

Today is my Day 1. The biggest challenge will be Friday where there are 2 leaving Do's after work. Can you believe I took last Friday off as Leave to avoid post work drinks and to break the weekend habit! I can't avoid Fridays forever!

Sx
Old 07-24-2012, 11:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Welcome!

By the way, I think Celexa has those very same effects on me.

I've scurried out of work and into my car quickly so as to avoid those after work drinks, too. I think it is a good idea in the beginning.

Best to you on Day One and beyond!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Sarah,
I'm on Day 9 and am feeling great. Like you, I could see that drinking was having a negative impact on my life and looking back over the years, I have certainly done quite a few stupid things. I was getting better at moderating lately but I'm also just motivated to get rid of it for good. I can't see that it has so many benefits but there's a ton of drawbacks. Where this will lead me, I don't know but I'm trying for 90 days of sobriety and I think that will take me to a wonderful place.

Best of luck!

-z
Old 07-24-2012, 11:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Sarah. Great to hear your story. Keep reading and posting. We look forward to sharing your journey with you x
Old 07-25-2012, 11:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RevivingOphelia View Post
Welcome!

By the way, I think Celexa has those very same effects on me.

I've scurried out of work and into my car quickly so as to avoid those after work drinks, too. I think it is a good idea in the beginning.

Best to you on Day One and beyond!
Thank you Reviving Orphelia. I'm sure it's part of it. I go early could leave alcohol now. Last night had a diet lemonade in the pub and an appletise in the restaurant. I met up withy sisters and they were both amazed I didn't order a wine with dinner.

So! Day 1 is done.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZiggyB View Post
Hi Sarah,
I'm on Day 9 and am feeling great. Like you, I could see that drinking was having a negative impact on my life and looking back over the years, I have certainly done quite a few stupid things. I was getting better at moderating lately but I'm also just motivated to get rid of it for good. I can't see that it has so many benefits but there's a ton of drawbacks. Where this will lead me, I don't know but I'm trying for 90 days of sobriety and I think that will take me to a wonderful place.

Best of luck!

-z
It's nice to know I'm not alone. Sounds like we are a lot alike. I would so love to have over a week under my belt, well done on 9 days. Going for 90 days too. Lent is only 44 days do it'll be interesting to see how much clearer 90 days is!

Thanks

Sx
Old 07-25-2012, 11:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MastiffGuy View Post
Hey Sarah, Welcome to SR! I am newly sober and it sounds like our circumstances are similar. I dont post often but this forum helps tremendously. See you around.
Thanks for dropping by then! See you around too & good luck on your journey.

Sx
Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sissy07 View Post
Welcome Sarah! I like the way you think! Keep us updated. Take care.
Thanks! I will do

Sx
Old 07-25-2012, 11:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone who dropped by to say hi and sorry to those who PMd me - I can't reply back until my post count is higher

Didn't have a drop yesterday and I really feel that I can do this now I have found such a great support network. Met my sisters for a Mexican and had appletise with my meal. They asked if I had a temperature!

I spoke to my best friend yesterday and I'm do excited to find that she hasn't had much to drink lately and she even said she could live without alcohol. I haven't told her I'm aiming for sobriety as I am known in my circle for being faddy. They'll just chalk this up as anothe one of my 'I'm never going to eat/drink such and such again!'

Here's to day 2!
Old 07-25-2012, 11:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

congrats on day 2 and welcome to SR!

Our July newcomer thread is great and we are all at the same place if you fancy joining