to take for illness is too much of a temptation
and has no business in my home.

Even tho I have 21 yrs. sobriety, all it would
take is someone to pizz me off, spiritually low,
or just because to easily reach for poison that
would eventually kill me. One sip would never
be enough to satisfy my cravings for it. So why
play with fire?
Lovely. I don't think all people in recovery, though, need be so wary. Should you go to many a French or Italian restaurant, you'd have wine in your dish one way or the other. When you make it all super-extreme "No-NEVER ANY!" it seems like you're just living on the precipice of relapse. At least to me. I don't mean to offend.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justhadenough View Post
think Inda means wine-that's how I read it-not sure....
I know it was a typo, but I just thought it looked funny!

I'm good until winter when I use my crock pot more...I like beer or wine (depending on the recipe) added to chili and beef stews. I imagine NA beer would have the same effect, for chili.

I'd forgotten about mouthwash...I just realised that what I have does have alcohol as an ingredient. Oops. But I haven't noticed any sort of buzz so far.

I'm reading a true crime book (Starvation Heights) right now. It's set in the early 1900s and one of the characters is addicted to vanilla extract. Apparently that was a thing back then.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

I am not at a point where I can have wine in the house. It would be a constant temptation for me, and I do not want to cause myself to relapse. If I went out to eat and there was a wine sauce on my pasta I wouldn't care about it- I think the alcohol cooks out anyhow.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Alcohol cooks out, no worries. Now if you were asking whether Nyquil (the with-alcohol formula) was 'allowed' we might see some fireworks up in here.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

The alcohol does not burn off. See the chart here: Alcohol Burn-off Chart

Also, there are substitutions if you have concerns about it.
Alcohol Cooking Substitutions - Alcohol Substitute Recipes
Old 07-24-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Alcohol dissipates at 170 degrees F. If you are simmering a sauce for a long period of time it will evaporate. It doesn't have to "burn" to dissappear.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

90 % will burn off or evaporate if that word makes it better. , You will have many tell you it burns off but as I stated and showed you the Alcohol Burn off Chart, and thank you for reading Paper Dolls.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
The alcohol does not burn off. See the chart here: Alcohol Burn-off Chart

Also, there are substitutions if you have concerns about it.
Alcohol Cooking Substitutions - Alcohol Substitute Recipes
Live and learn! I always thought cooking destroyed alcohol; guess not.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Most do Stevie and they will go blue in the face telling you it does.:rotfxko

I spent a ton of money going to CIA, (Culinary Institute of America). And all people have to do now is google it. oye vey :rotfxko
Old 07-24-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

For me personally, I don't care if it burns off or not. I prefer not to have it in the house. That's just me. I know lots of alkie that do cook with it with no problem.

For me, I feel like it's a slippery slope.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Alcohol doesn't burn off, but evaporate. As in any real physical process, some amount will always remain, even as it approaches zero. Ethanol boils at 173 F, and water at 212, so if your pot boils most of the ethanol has evaporated already.

But yes, after a couple of hours simmering in the oven, most of it is gone, leaving a few percent of the original. The equivalent remainder in the 8 person serving might be a few tablespoons of wine. You can look at the same reference for more information.
Cooking with alcohol substitutions, tips and hints
Old 07-24-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

So will NA beer do the job for chili?
Because I have a killer recipe for winter chili and it definitely involves a can of dark beer..
Old 07-24-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Zazzzzz View Post
When you make it all super-extreme "No-NEVER ANY!" it seems like you're just living on the precipice of relapse. At least to me. I don't mean to offend.
I respect that fact that alcohol has bought me undone many times.
I also respect the fact that my own ego has done the same, again many times.

I'm a non drinker.
I want to be that way.

So I make a point of never knowingly eating food that contains alcohol.

I'm not scared of alcohol and I'm not terrified that one rum ball will set me off - I just value my recovery and my life now that highly.

I spent 5 years drinking all day everyday - I never want to go back there.

like I said it's a respect thing...

& I know how my mind has worked in the past....a piece of tiramisu...nothing happens...soon it might be a sip of someones 'yummy drink' there, a shandy there...and so it goes etc etc

I'm not sure how being vigilant leads to relapse tho Zazzzzz?
How do you come to that conclusion?

Just curious.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 07-24-2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-24-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I have lots of wine in the house and have no trouble resisting the temptation, I also have cooked with wine and the temptation to hit it after my beef casserole was non existent, however pouring the wine into the sauce had been an out of body experience. I could feel my brain on auto pilot just grasping for the glass to put it in, huge craving. It passed as they do, and if you feel ok with feeling your way through the occasional craving you might consider it character building (my opinion only)
Old 07-24-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

For me, right now, I don't eat or take anything with alcohol in it. That includes foods, medicines, and extracts. I don't think I'm teetering on a precipice but if so....it is better than being over the edge. It definitely cannot be in my house in any form. I have drank mouthwash to get intoxicated and have no doubt that if I wanted to, I'd do it again. Luckily, for today, I have no desire to drink.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I buy cooking wine next to the oils and vinegars in the supermarket. Even at my lowest point I never considered drinking that stuff... it would make you vomit if you tried to! Now brandy soaked cherries, liquor chocolates... items like that I would avoid!
Old 07-24-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you Paper Dolls, I was just looking for that link.

It is NOT true that alcohol cooks off, just a myth.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Originally Posted by Ash007 View Post
Thanks guys, i thought the alcohol was cooked off but just wanted to check! Wine is fine in the house its simply vodka and red bull for me
I can't relate to that at all. I was a beer drunk, but any alcohol would do if there was no beer. I cannot have any alcohol in the house...just me. I don't get how you can be OK just as long as there is no vodka and red bull around. I was so bad I even drank through my BF’s display collection of unique beers (some were pretty damn old, like years old-yuk), his wine collection, and his vodkas he had bought in other countries while traveling. Granted, he no longer drinks and was never an alcoholic. He wasn’t mad at me, but damn what a desperado I was.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MetalChick View Post
I can't relate to that at all. I was a beer drunk, but any alcohol would do if there was no beer. I cannot have any alcohol in the house...just me. I don't get how you can be OK just as long as there is no vodka and red bull around. I was so bad I even drank through my BF’s display collection of unique beers (some were pretty damn old, like years old-yuk), his wine collection, and his vodkas he had bought in other countries while traveling. Granted, he no longer drinks and was never an alcoholic. He wasn’t mad at me, but damn what a desperado I was.
Dont really get it either, this is why I have wondered if I have a problem sometimes. I have tried to drink other things when vodka and bull werent in the house but I couldnt bear the taste of them - like beer, or wine they did taste like poison - or they just never did anything for me like peach schnapps, I could drink so much and not have an effect so it didnt bother me not having any. Nowadays the only drink I can stand which does have an effect is my drink. Does this make any sense
Old 07-24-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I was told it is all about my intentions. I take flower essences which are preserved in brandy, and I am 7 months sober. My sponsor told me if I ever feel the need to drink my flower essences, then there is something wrong with that. I take drops, so I am good.

There is one woman in our meeting that swore off all alcohol in 1983, she doesn't even take cough medicine.

It is all in the intentions!!