Notices

Defeated

Old 07-23-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Defeated

My name is Katie, I am new to this site. hi all I guess I came here in hopes of finding some people who may know what I'm dealing with. I'm not completely new to this sober, AA thing. I went through 6 months sobriety when a weekend trip to the lake was all it took to start the ball rolling again. It wasn't until this past Saturday night that I lost control once again. I was doing well with the whole, 1, 2, 3 drinks and I'm done thing ... however the idea of alcohol was once again taking a form of precedence in my thinking. Then Saturday after a nice birthday dinner w/ my fiance (and a few glasses of wine) I decided to ditch him and go out w/ girlfriends, regardless of attempts from him to try and get me to go back home with him. Instead I told him that he had to let me go out w/ the girls, or else this is what makes people want to be single (OMG how in the WORLD can alcohol push me to reason like this??!) So, the night ends with shots I promised I wouldn't take, an end to a night I don't remember, a heartbroken (and sleepy) fiance after having to pick me up at 3:30 in the morning. I'm ashamed, filled with guilt and remorse. The trust I've built in 6 months just gone like that. So - where do I go from here? I'm going to pick up the pieces just like I always do. This was just one more failed attempt at drinking like a "normal" person. Alcohol will never treat me normally. I've got to get out of this endless battle before I really end up hurting myself, or losing those people closest to me.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Katie, most of us have lived your story once or 1000 times!
Congrats to you for having the guts to realise there's a problem, and welcome to SR.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome katie !

AA did the trick for me. I had to surrender and quit fighting.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-23-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Katie, I made similar mistakes as well. My advice is to buckle down and work on being sober again. He will notice your actions and hopefully all works out. Just from reading your post it seems that even just Agee drinks might be too much but that's just me. You have to determine your path and I wish you the best.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Katie, the thing with alcoholism is that it's relentless. And, each time it takes over, it brings more and more shame and guilt and it makes it harder to recover from. I sure understand how hard it is to regain trust, but know that you can do this.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

katie.. I lost an engagement because of a bad decision I made while drinking. I will never ever forget this. I should have known then I had a problem. You can do it. There is so much more to live for. I'm 51 days sober and life is SO great sober.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Katie

So you're defeated...that was a turning point for me...because that was it...I never drank again!

I'm not sure if you were white knuckling it for those 6 months...but that just does not work. As I'm sure you know Katie, there is so much to learn about alcohol and how patient and cunning it is...it will go in for the kill...a la "weekend trip to the lake"...it is always lying in wait.

I emersed myself in learning all that I could....and I read a lot...still do.

You can do this Katie...you must want it more than anything.

Glad to have you with us

Big hugs
Old 07-23-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Katie-

I've pulled various stunts like these on my fiance...

You have to surrender and admit you're powerless over alcohol. Most importantly, you have to accept it.... It was very easy for me to admit powerlessness over booze after a bad binge weekend, a large bar tab and not being able to find my wallet/keys/watch or remember how I got home. Accepting that I can never drink again was not very easy as my addiction kept putting thoughts in my head....

Actions speak louder than words... I finally stood up in a meeting when they asked for any "newcomers or people coming back" walked across to pick up my 24 hour chip... Like you, I also had many many attempts at trying to cut down, but with no luck..

I suggest you create a plan, see a counselor, AA etc and MOVE on it. Both feet IN.

I am now married (same girl) and almost 1.5 years sober.. So things will get better for you !! Trust me ! Just do the work... You deserve it !!

All the best !!
Old 07-23-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!

By accepting defeat, you have won.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here!
Old 07-23-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

welcome back to sobriety, Katie and welcome to SR! i think moderation is a fantasy we all have. i'm learning that i have the most power over alcohol before the first drink. also, it's easier for me to not drink than try to moderate. that way, i don't have to keep up with how much i'm drinking. no more formulas, no more "i drank this much yesterday so i can drink this much today" or "i've had this much so i can have this much more." anyways, my judgment just gets so muddled when i drink at all that i've found my personal best bet is just to not drink. good luck with this go around! i haven't gotten to 6 months yet. that's quite an accomplishment! just think, you've done that much, you can do it again! revisit what was working for you. you seem to have learned something from your experience so that's excellent. i hope you find the support that so many have found here on SR. it's a wonderful place!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Live2Run25 View Post
katie.. I lost an engagement because of a bad decision I made while drinking. I will never ever forget this. I should have known then I had a problem. You can do it. There is so much more to live for. I'm 51 days sober and life is SO great sober.
Thanks Britt! Its really encouraging to see some people on here that are the same age as me!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I'm so happy to be sober living again. And a little scares too knowing that after relapse its a slippery slope and I wasn't expecting the urge to come 6 months later! I know this isa Lifelong process but I can so it thank you for the support!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

lol, the lucky ones are the same as age as you. Me, I took a bit longer to accept that drinking was not controllable in the long run, and even when I could control it in the short run... well, what's the fun in that? It was so great to just give up the struggle, and concede I could never drink again.

I know that seems crazy—never? What a scary word that was to me at first. As in, "I can never drink again." Now it's a comfort to me though, as in, "I never have to go through that crap again!"

Glad you found us. There are a lot of ways to escape the madness. SR has been a big part of my approach.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Katie

I'm new too and I am EXACTLY the same. I have no off switch and I have ditched an ex on a night out so I can carry on. Spending money I don't have on a night I don't remember! We can do this. I'm apprehensive but I know the madness needs to stop before it's too late.

We can do this!

Sx
Old 07-24-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Katie. I feel the same as ReadyAndAble. It took me a 'bit' longer (like 25 yrs. ). Life without alcohol looked like a long and boring ride. I can't believe I ever felt that way. It's far more boring (also dangerous) to live our lives in a numb, out-of-control state - where we don't even remember much of what happens to us.

Glad you've joined the family. We're all behind you.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Hi Katie, its amazing how fast it comes back when we pick up.

Welcome back Home.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

After drinking for 35 years and all that entailed, I made a solemn vow to never drink again and to never change my mind. My life couldn't take a 'process' getting sober and I had only one chance. So, the alcohol supply got cut off, the door to the store got locked and then there was this 'fire'. I have not had a drink since that day and I never will. Drinking again is never an option.

If someone had told me that I could try and fail a bunch of times before quitting for good, I might have done just that. For me, it comes back to that solemn vow I made a year ago. Done.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Argh, I posted in the wrong (old) thread... so sorry. My post will be moved to Katiedid's most recent thread.