Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

damn intrusive thoughts (childhood abuse memories)have come back UGH

Notices

Old 07-23-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ok let me start off by saying: I LOVE AA. I have been going to 1-2 meetings/day every single day without fail. I love the literature, love the steps, love the traditions. I try to get to as many literature meetings as I can. I have NO problem at all bringing a higher power back into my life as the last time I had a higher power in my life I was way calmer and happier (thank you childhood babysitter! Parents were anti organized religion). I also have no interest in overthinking the steps and traditions as can't do much thinking right now anyways lol. So, am glad to be in AA, glad I'm working on getting sober, but....

My problem right now is that the intrusive thoughts I got rid of (for a while, anyways) by getting drunk are coming back with a vengeance. Because of this, I'm struggling with insomnia, horrible mood swings, you name it. I'm sure it doesn't help that I only have 37 days of sobriety and am likely still detoxing lol. Anyways, if anyone has been through this at all and can recommend some decent coping strategies, thank you thank you thank you! My therapist is helping me get a shrink, just need some strategies to help me get through the day. Thanks all.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iamtoru View Post
Ok let me start off by saying: I LOVE AA. I have been going to 1-2 meetings/day every single day without fail. I love the literature, love the steps, love the traditions. I try to get to as many literature meetings as I can. I have NO problem at all bringing a higher power back into my life as the last time I had a higher power in my life I was way calmer and happier (thank you childhood babysitter! Parents were anti organized religion). I also have no interest in overthinking the steps and traditions as can't do much thinking right now anyways lol. So, am glad to be in AA, glad I'm working on getting sober, but....

My problem right now is that the intrusive thoughts I got rid of (for a while, anyways) by getting drunk are coming back with a vengeance. Because of this, I'm struggling with insomnia, horrible mood swings, you name it. I'm sure it doesn't help that I only have 37 days of sobriety and am likely still detoxing lol. Anyways, if anyone has been through this at all and can recommend some decent coping strategies, thank you thank you thank you! My therapist is helping me get a shrink, just need some strategies to help me get through the day. Thanks all.
Share your thoughts with your sponsor and the other newcomers. There's nothing you can't share with your sponsor and sharing with the other newcomers helps them open up as well. You aren't the only one with "issues". In the sharing comes the understanding and forgiveness.
You will also have the opportunity to help many who are worse than you.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-23-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I would seek a therapist who specializes in PTSD.

Congrats on your 37 days!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

It can be a roller coaster the first several months. We can be moving along just fine and suddenly a huge craving hits us like 4-wheeler or we find ourselves anxious and depressed again.

There's something called PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) - you may want to check it out. This is a pretty good summary:
Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms - Relapse Prevention Strategies

Stick to AA and use the support here - things really do get better.