Notices

My Daily Do

Old 07-25-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I had never really heard of that method before I came here, but I find it really interesting the lengths people will go to keep alcohol in their life. It seems nuts to me to take a drug just so you can drink alcohol normally. I know that a lot of people in the UK will have extensive counselling just so they can 'learn' to drink like a 'normal person'. It seems much simpler to just not do it anymore.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks Stevie and Hypochondriac,

Yeah, the whole thing is kind of disturbing to me. I need someone like Stevie has . . . so I will look into that.

Like the rest of us, I have tried moderation a million times without success. Maybe I am wrong about this naltrexone, but I just can't risk it. This approach would require me to start drinking again. It just seems f-ed up to me.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Alright good to have you with us.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Amigo, I have a long history of brain cooties (LOL) and thus, psychiatrists and therapists. So I go into a "new" relationship with one with a set of expectations and requirements, if that doesn't sound too snotty. But I've wasted enough money on shrinks that simply don't work for me. I've rarely had medical insurance that pays for mental health stuff so if I'm paying someone $100 for a 50-minute-hour, I really need to get my money's worth.

So when I make the initial call, I have a set of questions I ask. Now with the internet it's easier...I knew I wanted an addictions counselor who stressed cognitive-behavioural therapy, and experience with meditation was a plus - as was a therapist who had a good working relationship with a psychiatrist or two, for meds if I decide that's an option again.

I understand that complete absitnence is just one of the goals with the Sinclair Method but they consider "moderate drinking" as a success too? I'm with hypochondriac: that's just nuts. Alcoholics. Cannot. Moderate. Their. Drinking. If they can (long-term), then IMHO by definition, that's not an alcoholic.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Stevie,

I have the same brain cooties. I totally agree with you about moderation. The inability to sustain moderation over time is almost a defining feature of an alcoholic. --A
Old 07-25-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
~sb

If I could do the Sinclair Method, I would have. I had to just stop and then work on the staying stopped part.

Whatever you choose, do it really well. This alcoholism thing doesn't like to keep us alive, it does give us a real slow death, though.

Love & hugs,