Notices

Giving it a other shot before I don’t have any more chances

Old 07-23-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Giving it a other shot before I don’t have any more chances

Sober again, going on 3 days. Every time I relapse it gets harder and harder to get back to sanity. Not quite sure how I managed the dt’s this weekend but here I am Monday at work and even though I don’t want to admit it I do feel somewhat better. Now let’s see if my truck will bypass the beer store on my home
Old 07-23-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Perfectly okay to admit you feel better! Good job!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Be strong, you can do this. Don't have any more wasted weekends. Sober ones are unbelievably brilliant x
Old 07-23-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Can your truck plan on taking a detour and not driving past the Ol' In and Out? Make it for yourself, go easy on yourself.

There is a lot of support here at SR for you, so make that plan, you know, the no alcohol one. You can do it. We all of us can do it.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support
I think I am going to enjoy this site. Last time I was sober for two years but unfortunately did not find AA in my community enough for me
Old 07-23-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

You are doing great! Just remember you are doing this for yourself and your health. Best wishes to you sasseville.

Dom
Old 07-23-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

remember, your truck is an inanimate object.. the only reason you will end up at that store, is if YOU make the choice to stop there. Just DON'T. That's the only way the madness stops. YOU are in control... You can do this!! (((hugs)))
Old 07-23-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It’s interesting how this isn’t my first attempt at getting sober and yet I wish I would of remember the DT’s that I am going through at the moment or once again before I think of relapsing. Nothing new, but the up and down roller-coaster is enough do drive you insane. But I believe for me the worse part is the portion of my brain that is the “ alcoholic brain” that is continuously trying to convince me not to put myself through this again. That everything is ok, when I know it’s not. I keep telling him, this game is over but he is a strong adversary. I guess he would be considering he has had control of me for the last 25 years or so
Old 07-23-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Change your routines. That will help any program that you choose to follow. Drive home by a different route. Changing your daily habits and routines will have a ripple effect in your life.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sasseville, I think it is a bid deal that you are looking at your addiction as being separate from you, and that you have an adversary who gets pretty loud and mouthy at times.

I found it helpful to think of my adversary as The Beast, a part of me that just wants booze, and all of it. It doesn't care about me, about my family, my job, my dreams, my mental or physical health, it just wants a drink. It will use its Voice to try and convince me to get drunk by telling me I deserve it, it's only one or two, it's no big deal, I can handle it this time, what's the use in trying, on and on. It will try to tell you that you can't do it, that you are powerless and out of control, when you aren't. You are in charge, you get to drive your vehicle around the beer store.

You can come to associate any idea of ever drinking or any idea of not being able to stay abstinent as the voice of your addiction, your Alcoholic Voice. If you can recognize these thoughts as not yours, but coming from your Alcoholic Voice, then you can separate from them simply because you are in control and you get to decide.

We talk a lot about this idea in the Secular Connections forum where we refer to it as AVRT, or Addictive Voice Recognition Technique. Drop by, maybe this idea appeals to you too.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sasseville View Post
Thanks for the support
I think I am going to enjoy this site. Last time I was sober for two years but unfortunately did not find AA in my community enough for me
I sobered up in a Recovery Home in Windsor, On. We had a few guys from Sudbury, North Bay, Timmins there. AA helped keep you sober for 2 yrs ... how are you doing without it?
I find it hard to believe that there isn't quite a few good oldtimers in Sudbury AA with a lot to offer.

If you need some names, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do for you.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-23-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Sasseville I hope you find the support you need here x
Old 07-23-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard and glad you made it thru again. I can relate to all those detox's , and your right it is harder and harder to come back.

Just remember this my friend you did make it , make the best of it , some dont get that 2nd or 14th chance.

Glad your here.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Sasseville

You'll find a lot of support here - remember your adversary is you - it's no bigger than you are - and it hasn't got this kind of support

you can do this
Old 07-23-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Sass,

I too found it difficult to remember how terrible I felt a few days/weeks later after I stopped. After my last go, I took the time to write out exactly how I was feeling the morning after. I kept that in my wallet a long time, at took it out and read it when I had an urge to start up again. That and pictures of my family stayed my hand when I really felt week. I don't know if something similar will work for you, but it might.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Sass,

I am new here too. Welcome from me. I hope we can start piling up some days.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You don't have to be sober for a week, or even for a day. Just be sober now.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

welcome to SR! remember, your alcoholic brain can be a strong voice but it doesn't control you. you have ultimate control over your body and ultimate responsibility for your actions. it's up to you to bypass the liquor store. you have a day of sobriety in you. you have the power to control your truck and get yourself safely home. concentrate on what you can do today to maintain your sobriety. it's up to you to believe in yourself. we were all in your shoes when we started our journeys. you are no different than us and if we could do it, so can you! just trust in yourself and know that you have the desire, you have the will and you have the power. exert it.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

WOW incredible the support here
Thanks everyone and its now day 4
Old 07-24-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good for you, fellow Ontarian! Support here is fantastic and is helping me through the toughest times.
Keep the faith!
Hugs, Lit