SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   First social occasion around alcohol (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/263215-first-social-occasion-around-alcohol.html)

CaiHong 07-22-2012 05:52 PM

First social occasion around alcohol

I am nearly 14 months sober with the support of SR and AA.

Last night I was invited to a birthday dinner at a restaurant. I barely know the host and her husband and didn't know any of the other guests. This certainly would have me drinking heavily and trying hard to "engage" with people.

When I was drinking I would be sculling down alcohol to get that confident buzz on before I left the house. Then it was all downhill from there.

I was made to feel very welcome and had the best time in ages. I had no desire to drink and noticed that half the dining table of about 20 people we're not drinking.
I was able to network and have genuinely interesting conversations. I made a point of being aware when I felt uncomfortable, for example when I wasn't engaged in conversation and alone I just relaxed and enjoyed what was going on around me.
At the end of the night I was still buzzing and full of energy and as I rode my bike home along the deserted roads in this incredibly beautiful town, I felt such gratitude to be sober and to be the person that I know I am.

Newcomers take heart I am 58 years old, I am in the process of opening a restaurant. I live alone but I am not lonely. I live a very healthy lifestyle and want to live to a ripe healthy old age. I have never been this together in my life. if I was still drinking none of this would be happening.

Love
CaiHong

navy0923 07-22-2012 06:09 PM

Awesome man! Glad you enjoyed yourself.

suki44883 07-22-2012 06:26 PM

Love the post! Congratulations and thanks for sharing! :You_Rock_

Anna 07-22-2012 06:27 PM

It sounds like you are doing great and have a wonderful attitude. :)

NoFireWater 07-22-2012 06:39 PM

Great post! Glad to hear from other 50's that all things are possible :)

Dee74 07-22-2012 06:48 PM

Fantastic CaiHong! :scoregood

D

Pondlady 07-22-2012 06:53 PM

Thank you for sharing. Sounds like a wonderful evening. I like picturing you riding your bike home:) I'm 54 ( soon to be 55) and it's great to be sober and healthy!

Hevyn 07-22-2012 06:55 PM

Oh, CaiHong - that just gave me a great big smile. I always thought alcohol was helping me be more sociable and relaxed, but it did just the opposite. I would do the pre-gaming thing, too - and show up for the event in a numb fog. I wouldn't even remember the conversations I did have - and being fuzzy made me boring to be around - I'm sure.

Alcohol was never our friend, the way we once thought it was. I can't believe I ever panicked at the thought of being without it. I want to feel everything and experience life the way I was meant to. I'm so happy we're on this journey together. Thanks for a wonderful & heartfelt post.

awuh1 07-22-2012 07:08 PM

I'm very pleased to hear this. You make great contributions here and you're a true asset!

ZiggyB 07-22-2012 09:53 PM

That is great to hear! Social occasions always make me nervous too, I'm glad you had fun and managed great!

DisplacedGRITS 07-22-2012 10:06 PM

that is such and excellent and inspiring post CaiHong!

NewBeginning010 07-22-2012 10:07 PM

Wow Awesome CaiHong :You_Rock_

So happy for you :ring

I had a great sober weekend too ;-)

Take care & keep it up!

Itchy 07-22-2012 10:24 PM

Well done my friend! Just turned 60 in May. It is never too late until it is.

Jeni26 07-22-2012 11:50 PM

Yours is the first post I've read this morning, and what a wonderful way to wake up.
Thankyou for sharing, it gives us all something to strive for.
Well done, it sounds a fantastic way to live your life xxx

heath480 07-23-2012 01:49 AM

Wonderful caihong.

Thankyou for sharing that.

hypochondriac 07-23-2012 02:01 AM

Thanks for posting that CaiHong. Social occasions are so hard in early recovery that its nice to know that they get better or are even possible! And it's fantastic that we have a place to tell people this stuff that other people might not understand :) Oh, and well done on 14 months!! x

mecanix 07-23-2012 02:01 AM

Thank you CaiHong,

To hear about you making something of yourself is an inspiration and gives me great hope for the future ,
i wish you good fortune with your enterprise, M

LoftyIdeals 07-23-2012 04:17 AM

Thanks for that fantastic share, Cai. I'm glad you had that experience. What a victory!
Good luck with the opening. I believe I will both open a restaurant and write a book before my curtain call in this life. At 49, I'd better get a move on!

I really enjoyed your post. Thanks again.

ttbp 07-23-2012 05:04 AM

:You_Rock_

coffeebean1 07-23-2012 06:03 AM

Sounds like you are getting it together. Bravo mate.