Notices

I will stop drinking...NOW!

Old 07-22-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I will stop drinking...NOW!

Okay here is my story, I am at least a quart of vodka and redbull drinker a day. Particularly in the morning. Most of the time this is enough for me ( I start to feel queasy after that amount) however, recently I am starting to drink more than this (maximum a half bottle throughout the whole day). I like to drink in the mornings as I said, and am not bothered about the evening most of the time. Vodka and redbull is my choice drink, I will not take another drink as a substitute because I detest most other forms of alcohol or they dont quite hit the spot like my favourite drink. If I cant have vodka and redbull I will go without. Lately it seems like my problem is getting worse and I find myself so lazy and unhealthy. Cant be bothered with the housework because... im getting drunk, im drunk or im tired. My health is appalling! I have rosacea, dental problems, im weak and tired constantly! I smoke so much too, in fact the two go hand in hand so im quitting the smokes as I know if i am determined to quit smoking i will stop the drinking as its too hard to drink when not smoking. Im so worried about my health rioght now. Just had my last drink today and the thought of the taste at this moment turns my stomach! I actually struggle to finish the last drops as I find the taste disgusting. I always know when I have had enough you see. I dont get drunk, just buzzed. I dont know why I am writing this, I just wanted to try and get across my experience with alcohol and to see if it hits a tune with anyone else who has quit drinking. Please let me know if this makes sense to anyone else
Old 07-22-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Yes. You hit a tune. In fact, you made it sing.
I hate to break this to you. You are not either alone or very differnent.
One thing I have learned if not necessarily anything else is that drinking does not set anyone apart.
I connect with what you said.
I understand it, from my point of view.
But... And there is always a but....
You seem to understand it from your point of view.
That's a good thing.
Stay here and post... Read... Listen.
Being sober is easy. Staying that way needs others like yourself.
Well... I did anyway.
Welcome.

Ken
Old 07-22-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

You are much like me! I reached a point where I wasn't living, I was just waking up to drink. Caught in that vicious cycle. If you can quit both cigs and alcohol, go for it. I quit the alcohol but not yet the cigs and am working on that now. It's not easy.

Just don't drink today. Maybe read about the different programs available to help you. Rational Recovery, SMART, AVRT, Women for Sobriety, Life Ring and AA. All are available online to read about as a beginning.

Stick around here at SR. Lots of support here!

Glad you've joined us!

Hugs,
Old 07-22-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

I am glad you joined us and I hope you decide to live a sober life.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I smoked cigs for over twenty years (~25 a day) and the cough had gotten horrible morning, noon, night. Waking in the middle of the night unable to catch my breath only to head outside for another.. Ugh! I really would have liked to give up cigs entirely, but was unable or not quite ready to do so. I had read up on electronic cigarettes for many months and finally worked up the money to buy my first kit (the Joye eGo at that time) in Nov. 2010, took about two weeks to break my addiction to the other chemicals in the smokes, but I saw a great improvement with my breathing and the cough (smell better too). They will never taste like burning tobacco, but I really like the menthol flavored liquid, (never smoked menthol.)
Anyway, I got to feeling better and that's when I searched and found this site, which has been a lifesaver for me and many others. I tried to get sober a few times last year, failed, then finally in September I had enough. Detox is tough, but if you get your mind set on sobriety 100% you will make it through and change your life.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Ash!

I'm glad you've decided to get sober - this is a great place for support! We know what it's like to be stuck in that vicious cycle and how hard it is to do this on our own.

You're going to need medical help with detoxing - do you have a doctor or hospital you could go to?