Notices

Binge drinking

Old 07-21-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge drinking

I am so sick and tired of drinking. I can't drink just one drink. Once I start drinking I drink till I pass out then wake up with horrible hangovers. I really need help I would like to go to a counselor. I am having problems with my family due to my drinking...so sad.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Oleander

You'll find a lot of help and support here, for sure. We understand how you feel and many of us have been where you are

I've moved your post to its own thread in our Newcomers forum - you'll get more feedback here

So do you have any plans beyond seeing a counsellor?

D
Old 07-21-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I see an addiction counselor once a week. She, and this site, have helped me stay sober over two years now. I think counseling is a great idea. Give it a shot.

Welcome to SR!
Old 07-21-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR

I could never just have one drink either, I was also a binge drinker. Now I have learned to live a happier & more productive life without booze ;-)

You can do this, all of the best in your recovery.

Cheers ~NB
Old 07-21-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also binge drink. There is no way that I can ever have just one. I definitively understand the drinking and passing out. The bad thing that happens with me is that I'm still conscious when memory lapse kicks in and I continue to drink till I finally pass out. In the morning I wake up and half the night is gone, and oh my do the stories fly! I wish you the best of luck. I'm new to this whole process, but I know telling others has helped me tremendously. I wish you all the best.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Oleander! I was like that, too. That's why I finally stopped fighting and trying to manage the amounts I drank. I had to stop entirely. None of my plans to moderate ever worked out. If I had one drink, I had ten.

I hope you'll consider the counseling and also continue to read & post here. We all understand how it is & have had the same struggle.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello Oleander!

I have the exact same problem, except my binge drinking has now become violent and destructive to myself and others I care about. I have tried to moderate what I drink, but like you, I quickly learn that I can't control myself.

Last night, was the final straw. I destroyed and damaged lots of valuable things in my house and was verbally abusive to those around me. I wish I could say this was the only time something like this has happened--it has become more and more frequent. I don't drink every day, but I have no control when I do. So I have to stop, and today is day one.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Derek12261984 View Post
I also binge drink. There is no way that I can ever have just one. I definitively understand the drinking and passing out. The bad thing that happens with me is that I'm still conscious when memory lapse kicks in and I continue to drink till I finally pass out. In the morning I wake up and half the night is gone, and oh my do the stories fly! I wish you the best of luck. I'm new to this whole process, but I know telling others has helped me tremendously. I wish you all the best.
This is exactly me.

See, you're not alone Oleander. Hang around here, I'm sure it'll make you feel better. Personally it helps me a lot (especially tonight!)
Ah the first drink, the only one actually, the one that turns everything upside down.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Me too. I was pretty convinced at the end of my drinking that I would not wake up one day if I continued to drink like that. It really scared me how much I would consume already blacked out. I hope that you find peace and support here. Good Luck Oleander15, we're all here for each other!
Old 07-21-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Let's hang out sober on SR on a Saturday night.

You can do this Oleander
Old 07-21-2012, 09:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Oleander -

Good for you for looking honestly at your drinking. I'd always start out thinking "just a couple - this time I won't overdo it." Soon, the bottle of wine was gone and I still wanted more - there was just no end to it.

There's a lot of inspiration and support here..... things really do get better after we put the drink down.