Notices

New Guy

Old 07-21-2012, 05:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Guy

Hello All - First post here. I have been a functional alcoholic for 15 years or so, typically drinking from 4pm-11pm everyday during the week and all day on the weekends (depending on work schedule). Started out primarily drinking beer. Spent some time overseas where great wine is dirt cheap, drank a lot of that. Eventually, none of it was enough, started doing shots of whatever was on sale between beers until I blackout. That has been life for the last 4 or 5 years.

I dont have any wild explanation or story about what brought me to decide to quit, it was a culmination of things. Social life is non-existent, turned into a recluse, marriage is flat (AW), tired of being tired, family does not seem to call anymore, cant sleep worth a dang. I recently had a birthday, received one phone call and one card, just a testament to how I have pushed people out of my life. Keeping up at work is getting tougher (im military). I routinely do group calisthenics and group distance running (5-10K) just a few hours after I quit drinking, it gets tougher eveyday. Was recently promoted into a very stressful position, I love the challenge and am meeting basic expectations of the position but deep down I know alcohol is holding my performance back. I have always had a "work hard, play hard" mentality and it got out of control. Basically, life has turned into one giant chore, there must be more to it.

I have quit drinking a few times in my adult life. The first time was for a couple months when I went to basic training. While there, every second of your life was planned for you so it was not that big of a deal. 3 or 4 days had passes before I even thought about it... The second two times I have quit drinking were each for six months. These were both results of being sent over to the middle east, alcohol is simply not available over there. Again, it was surprisingly easy to put it down. However, the first thing I did after returning home was to make up for lost time partying/drinking.

At any rate, on day two of recovery right now. This is the first time I have been sober because I wanted to be sober and not as a result of circumstances out of my control. I dont think short term quitting is going to be a problem at all, this will be the fourth time I have done so. The real challenge is going to be staying sober in the months/years to come.

I thank everyone in advance for your support. Looking forward to becoming a part of this community.

One last note, all I could do was laugh... I applied for a very unique federal license a couple months ago for a hobby of mine. Received a letter yesterday denying my application because of a misdemeanor charge I received 10 years ago in Washington State while drunk. (went to wedding, drank to much, friend got dui, after friend went to jail the rest of us decided to walk to ihop instead of drive, ended up climbing on top of a school on the way, was arrested for trespassing, spent the night in jail...) The point being (the irony here is great) on day 1 of sobriety I got hit with a fantastic example of how alcohol can have long term negative impacts on your life...

- Mike
Old 07-21-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on day 1!

How badly do you want to stay stopped?
Old 07-21-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Mastiffguy,

Im still a newbie to SR, 19 days sober for me (the longest amount of time in 5 years).

I dont always post , mainly just read everyone elses threads .Ive taken advice and started to attend AA meetings only once a week but i thinks thats enough for me at the minute.

Good luck with your sobriety and welcome xx
Old 07-21-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

It sounds like you're ready to make some changes in your life.

You said that you've quit drinking a few times in your adult life and that you managed to do that fairly easily. That's great. I wonder what other changes you made in your life during those months, to help you recover? I know for me, I had to change my lifestyle, I had to stay away from places where alcohol was being served for quite awhile. I had to reconnect spiritually and basically find a purpose to my life.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR. Congratulations on making the decision to be sober and for your 2 days so far. You've come to the right place - there is lots of support here. I wish you all the best on your sober journey x
Old 07-21-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome Mastiff,
All I can say is I have been exactly there. 27 years military here and was you for my last ten before retirement. I didn't quit until 12 yrs after retirement. Every day was Saturday, life was great. I just couldn't understand why everybody wasn't drinking along? I wasn't smart enough to quit at your age. Same AW situation and not only stopped getting calls but stopped going off my place except for doc appts.

I so wish I had wised up like you when I was younger. Almost two years sober, and only now getting some self respect and getting out to reach out. Funny thing was I helped with the alcohol rehab program as a volunteer. I handled it, so I did not have a problem until I realized I did in hindsight.

You may find as many of us do that your AW will start to have issues once they realize that you really did it and will continue to be sober. It is a threat. They lose control as we gain it. Stay on your course, and get into group counseling or marriage counseling if your spouse begins to bait and act out. Don't go it alone. Joining here is a great start.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and support.

Sugarbear1 - I plan on asking myself that same question every morning while reflecting back on the last 15 years.

Peaches2012 - Plan on starting meetings tomorrow.

Anna - You hit two things right on the head. The changes I made to stop drinking previously were that I was completely removed from alcohol, even if I wanted it, it was not available. This time is actually going to take some effort on my behalf. I have managed to run off most of my social drinking partners so that will not be an issue, just have to stay away from the bars and figure out a way to deal with my AW. The second issue you nailed was my spirituality. I am a Christian, albeit a terrible one. Alcohol is the biggest spiritual barrier I have had, hopefully with that roadblock removed, I can grow spiritually and turn more to God for help.

Itchy - Its good/reassuring to me to see some military in here. Thank you for posting. I know what you mean about calling the kettle black. I routinely have to brief my section (about 70 people) about the dangers of alcohol and how it relates to dui's, career impact, suicide, etc... I am dreading the AW situation. She is the best Wife I could ever ask for, a rock solid wife. However, she has the resolve of an oak tree. I have already read some horror stories on SR about people in my/your boat with alcoholic spouses. I certainly understand and foresee the coming battle. No doubt I will be back here looking for guidance/support when as it is fought.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Old 07-21-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Good luck MastiffGuy!
Old 07-21-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard MastiffGuy

D
Old 07-21-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family - we're so glad you're here. Thank you for serving! It is appreciated.

You sound ready to ditch that sad, old life that is no longer enjoyable. That's how I felt after a lifetime of drinking. It was only fun very long ago - I don't know why I clung to it for so many years. You can have a new life - one that doesn't feel like a chore.

Congratulations on your first day of sobriety. I think it's wonderful, and you should be proud.

Changing the subject a bit - I have an English Mastiff. She's my avatar sometimes.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! Like the user name, Mastiffs are my fav dogs!
Old 07-21-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome! I am new here too and am on day 6 wanting to make a better life for myself and be a better person as well.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! Congrats on giving up alcohol - it's poison in the long run.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Kelly, Reviving, Dee, Boozefree and least, Thanks for welcoming me.

Heyven - Thank you for your words, my mastiffs are my life, have 2, one brindle and one fawn. Yours? I plan to make them my avatar as soon as I figure out how to get one of the photos the right size.

Ziggy - Thank you for your words, I look forward to traveling this journey along your side.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

It's great to have you join us, MastiffGuy!
Basically, life has turned into one giant chore
That's exactly how it was at the end for me, too. Alcohol made me depressed and anxious - the hangovers really started taking their toll. I felt like I got my soul back when I got sober.

Echoing Hevyn, thanks for your military service. Welcome!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR MastiffGuy You'll get lots of support here x
Old 07-22-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!