Notices

Just checking back in...

Old 07-20-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Just checking back in...

Hi everyone!

I've been an infrequent poster, but a daily reader. My first attempt at getting sober came back in November of 2011 after having an emotional breakdown around Thanksgiving. Since then, I've strung together a few days here and a week or two there, but nothing permanent. Through this humbling experience, I had learned that I wanted to quit, but I just wasn't quite ready to give up life as I knew it and had become used to. The thought of never drinking again terrified me. I had even convinced myself I didn't have a problem. After all, I run anywhere from 3-15 miles 5 days a week...how could I be an alcoholic? I'd never been an everyday drinker -- mostly a weekend warrior (with the weekends starting as Friday-Saturday, eventually growing to Thursday-Sunday). Like many of you, once I started all bets were off. I wouldn't leave my apartment, answer calls, etc. I was a recluse.

Recently, alcohol has taken my mental health on a turn for the worse. In March I started experiencing horrible problems with insomnia, which triggered many other mental health issues such as hallucinations (audio and visual), anxiety, depression, etc. I'd been on and off different medications, but kept turning back to alcohol as the only thing that would actually get me to sleep (well, not really sleep, but get my eyes shut). Each time starting and stopping drinking has gotten harder and harder. The withdrawal symptoms have gotten progressively worse, especially the itching, dry skin, sleeplessness, anxiety, and sweating. It had finally became more than I could handle.

I'm proud to say that I am now 9 days sober (as of July 12th). I have absolutely NO desire at all to drink now or ever again. I haven't missed it in the least over the past week and it feels incredible to feel free for the first time in about 10 years. I'm feeling better and better every day and the thought of even taking one drink and remembering where it will take me is terrifying.

A little bit about my recovery plan, since I know you will ask: I read (twice, and continue to re-read) Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Drinking". I know this might not be a popular book on this forum since he contests many of the ideals of AA, but this book has helped me out tremendously. For those of you reluctant to try AA, I would strongly recommend this book. I myself had done AA about 3 years ago with a friend, and it wasn't for me. I have NOTHING against AA. It has helped millions and millions of people and it's a great program -- it's just not for all of us. I've also started seeing a therapist once a week in an Outpatient setting. I'd always been against therapy (odd, given my education), but I find it very beneficial. And of course, SR.

Anyway, I don't want to make this too long winded (although I already have). I just wanted to check in with everyone and let you know that I'm back on my way. My next half marathon is scheduled for September 23rd and I'm excited to see what I can do when my body is actually hitting on all cylinders.

Thank you for reading.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I'm glad that you posted. It's ironic that we self-medicate with alcohol, and it works, just long enough to hook us and start the downward spiral. Congratulations on 9 days sober and it sounds like you have a good plan. SR has been my lifeline for many years, and I have also depended on many good books on spirituality and recovery.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Taws - good to see you again
Congrats on 9 days

D
Old 07-20-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

WOO YEAH, you give me so much hope, im on my 2nd dose of detox meds, failed 1st time as i became so depressed when my dosage dropped and i was crying for f all so drank again. but my symptoms when drinking are identical to yours so seeing how much you are enjoying life without drink has inspired me x
Old 07-20-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome back, Taws, and congratulations on the new sobriety! For me, that sense of relief, that feeling of freedom was incredible, it was like a brand new way to live.

I read Alan Carr, too, and enjoyed it, the way it showed that any reason that I had for taking a drink was false, I was being hoodwinked. No valid reason to ever take another drink.

I am happy to hear that this was enough for you to let you make that plan about ever taking another drink. Congratulations to you, Taws.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on your progress! I am almost 4 weeks and i also love running. i used to run to sweat out the booze or to work off the calories of alcohol, its amazing how healthy i feel just running to run. its so therapeutic as well. keep up the good work! :-)
Ben
Old 07-20-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Tomorrow I will be sober and smoke free for 28 days. I am really cloudy minded, having insomnia, anxiety, dry skin and a little anger issues. I went cold turkey due to a weird passing out episode I hade. I go to the doctor this next week to talk.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 28 days, deiru, and welcome to SR! The best thing I found to combat dry skin was to drink a ton of water...luckily, the worst of mine only lasted a few days. Good luck in your progress, it sounds like you're off to a great start. Things will only keep getting better.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you Taws! Cheering for you in everything you do!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Right on welcome back to posting.