Notices

TGIF? Triggers & Weekend Support

Old 07-19-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

TGIF? Triggers & Weekend Support

I've always loved Fridays-that weekend anticipation,etc. Ironically, I've almost always worked weekends for my entire adult life so not sure what I'm looking forward to. I have always done bar/restaurant work for extra cash,and it's usually fairly fun. Maybe I just like it that everyone is in a good mood. At any rate, I have to work at the bar tomorrow, just for a few hours. That's usually my night to have a few after work and I know it's going to be tempting. I figure other people are going through the same weekend trigger situations and maybe we can find support here. I'm hoping I'll be able to still relax after work and not feel intense cravings due to the situation. The place I work is like a family, and I want to be able to still go there and work there-I need the cash, and I don't want to lose all my social life and friends. Good luck to all that are going to be involved in party scenes trying to resist the call of the wild!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

SR is always open 24/7 NoFireWater...tons of support here.
The first weekend can be a little rough - but it gets better...

D
Old 07-19-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

In early fragile sobriety....I took a cab home from my job thus
avoiding the tempting bars that were calling my name...
Old 07-20-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Agree! Weekends are the worst for cravings.

I made specific plans in case I feel overwhelmed. I have someone here that I can call. I have a place I can go to leave the area.

And I can also just choose to not drink.

But If I were to put myself square in the place I drank at... Well... That's playing with fire.

I hear you that they are close and work.... But early on if you want it that may need some changing. But only you know for sure.

All my best to you!
Old 07-20-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Sounds far to dangerous for my tastes .

For me same old people, same old place, same old atmosphere, same old hanging out after a busy shift = same old result .

As soon as my shift finnished i'd be outta there like a jack rabbit . To have a hangover again or another blackout would just be the worst feeling in the world.

Good luck to you, M
Old 07-20-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I woke up with the same thoughts. Having people over tomorrow and I know they will be supportive, but that awful, nagging, stinking thinking voice is trying to convince me that I am not "that" bad. HA, yes I am and I know it!!!

I will be here lots this weekend for sure.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for supportive words. lol on getting out of there like a jackrabbit. That is my plan if I start hearing party voices in my head! Also bringing a huge ice tea with me for after work. I know a lot of my drinking was fueled by habit and having a substitute will help. I also sort of feel that if I can't control the urge in tough situations then is the situation really under control at all?

IMT I totally can relate to the voice saying "I'm not that bad" You can always find someone that has it worse, but I'm thinking someone out there may be looking at us saying "I'm not that bad" and that makes me cringe. We're bad enough that we want to be here and that says it all. Good luck!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

That is my plan if I start hearing party voices in my head! Also bringing a huge ice tea with me for after work. I know a lot of my drinking was fueled by habit and having a substitute will help.
Having a plan is a great idea, sounds like you've thought the different scenarios through and have prepaired well .

My first time in a british boozer after 6 months sober was a bit of a test. At 11:30am when a group of us went in for a colleauges' leaving lunch there were a few old red eye's having a morning drink . We asked one to take a photo of us and his hands were shaking so bad .. sometimes you can just tell when you see someone that they got it bad .. certainly a sober reminder if i needed it .

M
Old 07-20-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Back from work and it was a good test night. It wasn't a very fun crowd, which helped immensely. The ice tea plan worked really well, at least it was refreshing after waitressing in a hot room. I won't say it was easy not to have a drink, but it wasn't impossibly hard either. Day 5 and a good night of sleep made me appreciate the benefits of not drinking so it balanced the craving.

I hope everyone has a great weekend, and is able to have some fun. Sober fun