Notices

Things do improve.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by imaquitter View Post

Even here in the US I'd go to get a 12 pack and still buy a bag of chips, ice cream, some random junk, etc. 10 bucks all of a sudden is 20+
I was just thinking this when totting up my cost. Factoring in takeaways, munchies, hangover take away as can't be bothered to cook. Lets just say I might have been able to aim higher than the £500 1998 Ford Focus I'm currently driving...
Old 07-19-2012, 11:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gerbosko View Post
Wasting money on alcohol takes an extreme toll on your budget.

The money that you save by becoming sober is almost unreal. It may seem like $7 a day isn't that much, but add that up for a year - That's $2,555!

Today my journey in sobriety became more real than it ever has. Hard work and the money I saved due to not drinking has allowed me to purchase my first ever new car. 2012 Ford Focus SE. Honestly, without sobriety, I'd be depressed and poor with the same old vehicle that who knows when it's going to break down.

If you're sober for two years - that's $5110 you've saved if you spent $7 / day on alcohol. How insane.

I truly wish all of you the best of luck and it does get better.

That's so awesome!!! So happy for you. Congrats!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hmm i don't add up what i've wasted on getting wasted and the buzz of high leveraged investment/gambles i've put on the markets, maybe as much as £24,000 a year loss for the last 8 years or so . I try not to resent it , i was where i was .

I've tried to bring the ideas from recovery into the finance area of my life, only a few months ago. Last month was the first time i've done any saving since being a child . With sobriety and recovery i think we give ourselves the chance to learn and grow with 20/20 vision .

I've certainly given myself permisson to be pleased at the sucess of waking up sober , money, cars, lovers are all things that we sometimes have come and go, to loose the willingness to stay and maintain sobriety, now that really would be something to loose .

I think your car is great. You being sober and truely living is glorious though,

Thankyou, M
Old 07-20-2012, 02:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks Everyone! A lot of stress has been lifted from my shoulders.

I completely forgot about the "Munchies"! It's funny how much we don't realize we spend until we're free of it. As others have said, being sober far out-weighs the money - it's just another additional bonus .

aim higher than the £500 1998 Ford Focus I'm currently driving...
My step father works for Ford and he's been driving his little Ford Focus for over 7 years and hasn't had a single problem, he absolutely loves it.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
AA member

Good News gerb.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks Everyone! A lot of stress has been lifted from my shoulders.

I completely forgot about the "Munchies"! It's funny how much we don't realize we spend until we're free of it. As others have said, being sober far out-weighs the money - it's just another additional bonus .

My step father works for Ford and he's been driving his little Ford Focus for over 7 years and hasn't had a single problem, he absolutely loves it.
Here's hoping mine keeps going too! Just realised I'm doing it a disservice - it's actually 1999 - practically new LOL

Just of out to the shops with DD to spend some of my spare cash. Happy motoring
Old 07-20-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

13 years and still running - a lot of people cannot say that their vehicle does that. That's great, MyTimeNow! Got your money's worth out of that.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Do your routine maintenance, ESPECIALLY keeping the oil changed regularly. The oil is the life's blood of a car. My mother's cars always lasted 12-15 years simply because she kept the oil changed and got the routine maintenance done. She taught me well. The car I recently traded in for my new one was 16 years old and still ran great.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

13 years and still running - a lot of people cannot say that their vehicle does that. That's great, MyTimeNow! Got your money's worth out of that.
Oh I only bought it last year! Here's hoping it keeps going, I tend to have a knack for picking cars that are heading for the great scrapyard in the sky... so far so good though - I'll get another 13 years out of that baby LOL
Old 07-22-2012, 05:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Awesome! I have a 2011 Ford Focus which I absolutely love.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I need a ford focus. My gmc Yukon is killing. Now that I'm sober I have a lot more gas money. Lol.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
TiG

Well deserved! Love the color too.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

Congrats!! ANd who knows how much you would've spent after you spent that $7, I know that once I spend 7 on wine or beer, that I would've spent more!!
Old 07-25-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hey, I still get the munchies, but without the alcohol LOL. I'm a big snacker which I gotta stop doing!

@Navy - Gas was so expensive in my van (97 Ford Aerostar) that it costed about $65 to completely fill, I never filled it full after the prices sky rocketed. I filled up my gas tank in my car from 1/4 tank to full and it costed me $32, huge difference! I was always a car person, but I've only ever owned 1 car before this new one, a 94 Dodge Shadow - Tough little car, I bought that one for $400 and it lasted me two years lol.

@jennikate - Very nice! I bet you're saving a ton of gas too .

Tomorrow I'm taking a trip up to the Blue Ridge Parkway! The entrance is not too far from where I live and it's so relaxing up there.

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow .
Old 07-25-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

That is a very sweet car!

I figure I'm saving between $10-20 per day but I haven't decided what to do with the extra money, yet.