Notices

Scared That I Can't Connect With People Here

Old 07-19-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I think you see that the disease has no age limit. And that is what makes us know how you feel. Stick around and be one of the old timers. You dont have to take that ugly not scenic road to be 39 and in the ICU to quit like this dumb a**. We old ones that waited to quit took that bullet for you.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I envy you so much. Cause I was quite in trouble when I was twenty and I wish I had joined this website back then. It would have saved me so much pain and money.

I am still very young and not that far away from that age.

I still go out every weekend like a bachelor, maybe even more. So I can relate to what you said. The point is that we all know here the "problem". And we all have felt that way - and sometimes we still do.

Don't worry. Hey life is fun, look up my friend, look up :-)

Old 07-20-2012, 02:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Im jealous of you. I wish I had the intelligence in my 20's to realize I had a problem.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
~sb

I knew I had a problem in my early 20's, but I had to do it my way.

I don't suggest that. My life (or whatever it was called) was horrible!

Glad you are doing something earlier than I did!

Hugs,
Old 07-20-2012, 03:07 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Alaska,

I'm still in my twenties, though older than you. I can totally relate to your story.
I started drinking everyday when I was about 20, and started doing heroin a few months after.
I had a few friends that I didn't want to see too often because I just wanted to be home, getting high and often felt uncomfortable around them, cause they all had projects and were kind of pushing me. I hated when people told me I was interesting and should do things.

I gradually stopped going to the university, found a job to get some money. It all went into booze and pills. I used to pass out while working or with friends. Sometimes I couldn't tell what was real or not.

Being happy was not an option, not even a thought.
Except when I was high and reading or listening to music. I felt a connection with the souls or the ghosts (as I used to think) of the artists I liked. It didn't make me truly happy, just feel less lonely.
Maybe you can find some help in arts. I did. Now I'm pretty sure a few musicians, movie directors and writers saved me. But they were also the ones originaly showing the booze and drugs direction. It's not simple. Good and bad influences at the same time, but something to relate to. That's what you seem to need.

Don't know where I'm going with all this, and sorry if it's long, but I just wanted to let you know I feel you. Really.
Your other thread got me worried. Take care of yourself. Don't kill yourself or your emotions. Find some support here and everywhere you can. Take good care.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Hi Alaska. Its wonderful you figured out you had a problem in your early twenties and you do belong here and NOT burden. Welcome. Please stay and seek support from us.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:24 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome Alaska, you are not a burden. You're smart enough to realise what's going on at a much younger age than I was. I lost quite a few years in the meantime. I'm not even sure how many friends I've lost because of alcohol, and how many just drifted away, because my memory is so shot.
We're here for you, we care and we understand. And we're more than happy to give you the support you need.