Notices

A Day Without Tequila

Old 07-19-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Day Without Tequila

Just woke up...it's 9:45 am on the east coast. Didn't touch a drop of alcohol yesterday. Helps that we did not have it in the house. I did think about my friend Tequila many times in my head, and tried to justify drinking IF my husband brought it home.

Had to drive to a nearby city yesterday evening to pick up my son from a retreat he was on with his youth group from church and also I had choir practice. I wanted to drink so badly by the time I got home. Normally between 6pm and 10pm is drinking time for me.

Upon arriving home I found there was no tequila on the bar. So... there it was, we did not drink last night...AND the liquor store was open. Unfortunately I did have a headache last night...not sure if it was stress related or maybe my blood pressure was up.

Did not have much issue falling asleep, since I did not have anything to drink I could take a muscle relaxer prescribed to me for my back pain. I slept very well. Normally, even though I drink quite a bit, I find that I wake up at five am and I am not able to go back to sleep easily. This morning I had no problem sleeping.

I'm through a day without drinking, which I have done before. It is hard for me to go longer than this. I know this afternoon, evening will be very difficult. Most likely I will think about and try to justify having a drink all day and into the evening.

Feeling good about yesterday, but need to muster up all I have for today.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Welcome ncblue,

The first few days can be tough. Especially if your husband does not stop or recognize the issue with you. Does he?

I am trying to quite with a spouse but we are both trying together.

While we are doing it together we are clear that we need to do it first for ourselves. No other way to go about it but to be selfish that way.

Hope the best for you.... I am sure the SR folks here will provide the support you need.

And hang in there today!!,
Old 07-19-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Good for you. That's great. You got through those first 24 hours. Keep it up!!!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Welcome

Welcome NCBlue, great to hear you've gotten through two nights! I'm on Day 4 and it's SLOWLY getting easier. My hubby's quit with me so that's helped a lot. I find coming back to SR on a daily basis (I'm here 4-5 times a day) really helps. So many great people in the same boat sharing their experiences and offering support and encouragement. Hang tough!!
Old 07-19-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Just remember it will get better.... you won't always be clawing your way through the cravings. That first day seemed like an eternity for me and I thought about drinking constantly. The second day I didn't feel much better, but knowing I got through day 1 gave me a little hope I could make it through another 24 hours. By day 3, I felt a little stronger, and it kept going like that.....

I spent most of my first few days not doing anything but reading on SR and staying sober minute by minute, hour by hour. Whatever you have to do to get through the day..... it will be worth it, I promise!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on day one NCblue

Like others have said, this period is rough...but it gets better.

Use all the support you have - and don't hesitate to look for more support if you think you need it

D