Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

My d.o.c. is meth, don't feel I fit in at N.A?? I need advice.

Notices

Old 07-19-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I made the decision to stop the speed again, and grab a white chip. It seems that most addicts in n.a. are opiate addicts. I also do not like how I cant mention the name of my d.oc. I mean, if I feel like saying "Folks, I would really love to smoke a bowl of meth today andget tweaked outta my mind, help me" i should be able to w/o feeling guilty. There are crystal meth anonymous meetings but few and far between, and i really mean no offense but those meetings are catered to homosexuals and I am straight and would feel out of place. Not comfortable with Celebrate Recovery as I am an agnostic and secular. I guess that leaves cocaine anonymous, as it seems geared toward stimulant addicted people, but there is none close by to me. What other options do I have?
Old 07-19-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Lost and welcome to SR.. being here is a great step Many different people addicted to various substances and we talk freely on all levels. Im sorry your having issues with your NA group and i can understand how it may impact you. Have you simply tried a different N/A group? or are they all the same with their rules?
Old 07-19-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I go to AA and there are a lot of addicts there. A new kid introduced himself yesterday "I am ___ and I'm addicted to meth". Another guy says "I'm ___and I'm an alcoholic...and a crackhead"

I know it's not the norm, but a lot of people talk about drugs at my AA group.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Different drugs/types of users dominate in different areas. I understand how you feel because my DOC and useage experience were very different from that of most people in my groups.

I had to focus on the "look for similarities rather than differences" and identification over isolation.

I DO think the request that people not talk specifically about their DOC or specific ways of using it etc is a sound one. Especially when someone is new to recovery, it can be very triggering to have others go into descriptions of using and specifics of desires and fantasies of using.

Staying in the solution is a better focus for meetings.

There is no such restriction here, far as I know. Those things are easier to deal with online, since a post can be breezed over if it's taking us to the bad place, and we are not as "trapped" as we might feel in a meeting.

If someone goes into details of using here, I just move on to another thread.

due to living circumstances, SR IS my meeting/support. That has been more important than whether or no people "do" NA, is to be around folks who do recovery.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

If you're interested in taking a different approach, SMART Recovery isn't broken down by different addictions. Whatever your addiction, you're welcome, and you're welcome to talk about it. No one will shut you down for talking about the "wrong" DOC.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

rational recovery, smart, avrt, something's gotta work with you!!!!
Old 07-19-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi again Lost....
Please check out this Forum ..I think that will interest you...

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I do hope your de tox is running smoothly...
Old 07-19-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I go to AA and NA, and, now that I think about it, most don't talk directly about their drug of choice. But they sure relate to everyone who relied on any drug to deal with life.

Perhaps you might not be aware that there are plenty of meth addicts there, but they just don't share about specific drugs in following the NA traditions?

A decade ago I hit some AA meetings, even though I considered myself a pot head. I didn't feel like I fit, or that people there had the depth of personal problems that had.

Now, after a decade of addiction to benzos, pot, and booze, I find AA fits me just fine. I'm not, by any means, terminally unique. And behind the identification of being an alcoholic, nearly everyone I meet has a depth of drug use that takes my breath away.