Notices

Hey everyone.. I'm new to this. My story!

Old 07-19-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Freddy, i know it can be tough to tell the fam. i come from a family who never speaks of unpleasant things....they just keep all the junk to themselves but when i decided to quit i wanted to break out of that cycle and just say...here i am....here's the way it is....deal with it. i hate the word proud but i was kind of proud of myself when i did that. it was the beginning of a new way for me - total honesty, no BS. best wishes to you and i do disagree with you on one thing, you are a very good writer!
Old 07-19-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Freddy,

Same story as you except my vice was wine. I'm newly sober after years of beating myself down. Everytime I would turn things around the bad feelings came back. This time I got the right support net below me and I'm going to kick it's backside!!! I wish you the best. And like a few others have posted, working out helps. Woke up this a.m. not feeling great but went out and knocked out a few miles running and now I feel great. It's great to know I can replace bad things with something that makes me feel good. After my deployment, MMA is next. Although that might cause more damage. Lol.

Shawn
Old 07-19-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
Welcome!! My anxiety really decreased once I stopped drinking, the gym became my new best friend (which for me, is amazing lol). Happy you found us!
Thanks, I'm happy I found you too. I really never knew places like this existed.. of course I never really looked.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilyrosemary View Post
Hey Freddy, i know it can be tough to tell the fam. i come from a family who never speaks of unpleasant things....they just keep all the junk to themselves but when i decided to quit i wanted to break out of that cycle and just say...here i am....here's the way it is....deal with it. i hate the word proud but i was kind of proud of myself when i did that. it was the beginning of a new way for me - total honesty, no BS. best wishes to you and i do disagree with you on one thing, you are a very good writer!
Thanks! My family is the same as yours it seems.. we don't really talk about unpleasant things unless we're drinking together. My dad and I haven't really been able to talk for as long as I can remember unless we're both drinking (he is an alcoholic too). There were times during my binge drinking where I really wanted to call my mom (I'm very close with her) and tell her about my situation but I refrained, and right now I'm glad I did because I (seem to) have a handle on quitting alcohol as of right now. As another poster here mentioned, and it is something I agree with, it's my own fight and there is no need to bring others into it.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:41 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by navy0923 View Post
Freddy,

Same story as you except my vice was wine. I'm newly sober after years of beating myself down. Everytime I would turn things around the bad feelings came back. This time I got the right support net below me and I'm going to kick it's backside!!! I wish you the best. And like a few others have posted, working out helps. Woke up this a.m. not feeling great but went out and knocked out a few miles running and now I feel great. It's great to know I can replace bad things with something that makes me feel good. After my deployment, MMA is next. Although that might cause more damage. Lol.

Shawn
That's great, congrats on your sobriety. I feel confident too.. I have less and less cravings and I feel different from previous times I've tried to quit. It's great to have that support - I prefer support from these forums (although I'm only new to them) than to those who know me though.. for my own reasons I suppose. MMA really? That's great.. I'm sure the wine definitely wouldn't help with your MMA training. Congrats again.