SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Winding down? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/262751-winding-down.html)

hypochondriac 07-17-2012 03:14 PM

Winding down?

What do people generally do to wind down these days?

The chamomile tea and lavender aren't cutting it tonight!

Anna 07-17-2012 03:20 PM

A good book? That usually does it for me. :)

WingsFan13 07-17-2012 04:27 PM

A good movie and a pint of Revive Kombucha, my new drink of choice :)

Live2Run25 07-17-2012 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by WingsFan13 (Post 3492999)
A good movie and a pint of Revive Kombucha, my new drink of choice :)

What is this stuff!? I see it all the time. Kind of afraid to drink it!

WingsFan13 07-17-2012 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Live2Run25 (Post 3493011)
What is this stuff!? I see it all the time. Kind of afraid to drink it!

I LOVE it. Try it, trust me :)

I buy it in the huge jugs at whole foods

Live2Run25 07-17-2012 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by WingsFan13 (Post 3493091)
I LOVE it. Try it, trust me :)

I buy it in the huge jugs at whole foods

I will try it! I see it at the grocery store all the time!

MrsKing 07-18-2012 02:11 AM

Ahhhh... I'm terrible at winding down. I'm one of those people who find it difficult to relax and am constantly buzzing about the place - usually finding some cleaning or housework to do. It's bad! I need to find something that makes me instantly relax but so far I'm failing. Baking is my #1 thing to do to de-stress, but my husband says this doesn't really count as I'm still buzzing about whilst doing it! I do enjoy reading but sometimes I'm just too busy mentally to really get into it. I'm not one for TV either... so, let me know if you do find something - I'll give it a go, too!

MetalChick 07-18-2012 02:20 AM

playing music, Xbox, walking my dog, watching a good movie, a nice dinner at home, writing songs, painting. Whatever you enjoy that relaxes you or takes your mind off of the daily BS. I am going to try running soon (used to run) and I would like to get onto meditating.

stillsleeping 07-18-2012 02:27 AM

Hey girl :)

Me an H play mah jong solitaire on the arcade here when we want to seriously wind down. Half an hour and I'm ready for bed. It's hypnotic, I kid you not.

xxx

freshstart57 07-18-2012 05:45 AM

There's always this never-fail trick.

MrsKing 07-18-2012 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by freshstart57 (Post 3493733)
There's always this never-fail trick.

Thanks for that. I'm downloading now!

cmc133 07-18-2012 06:02 AM

Getting lost in a good book has been a good way to keep my mind of alcohol and wind down. You can do it!

hypochondriac 07-18-2012 04:19 PM

Thanks guys :)

Reading is usually my fail-safe too but sometimes I can read pages and realise I haven't taken in a word!

Really got to get practising meditation more, so thanks for that Freshstart x

Someguy23 07-18-2012 07:05 PM

I think you asked this before.

One trick I've found that works for me is to add a bit of "up" to my "down". Drinking chamomile or sleeping tea doesn't do much for me, but using one bag of chamomile and one or two bags of regular caffeinated tea relaxes me a lot.

Two bags of green tea for each bag of chamomile in as many cups of water as green tea bags works great for me, but I suppose the dosage depends on the person. I'm a caffeine junky myself, so...

The subtle flavour of the green tea goes really well with that of the chamomile. I'm drinking some right now, getting ready for bed. Delicious.

NoFireWater 07-18-2012 07:20 PM

Get a subscription to Netflix. You can choose movies for your exact mood.

I like to sit in a dark room in front of a fan and catch up on shows I've missed to unwind.

I know swimming always worked for me, just don't have access to a pool yet..

Dee74 07-18-2012 07:26 PM

anyone thinking of kombucha should know it's a brewed and fermented process...some of the varieties have been known to contain alcohol...

Fermented Tea Kombucha Vanishes On Alcohol Worries

I've seen people here have trouble with it...it pays to read the label carefully and to check out the brands.

D