Notices

Meditation and prayer is helping me

Old 07-16-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Meditation and prayer is helping me

Today my sponsor allowed me to re start my forth step. I started listing my resentments which brought up many emotions from rage to sadness but I kept on going without the thought of wanting a drink. My bottled up emotions once lead me to the bottle and I believe the obsession is lifting as I give my will over to my HP on a daily basis.

After I finished listing my resentments for the day, I immediately said my daily routine of prayers one being the Step 11 prayer and my own personal prayer asking God to protect me and relieve my fears and allow me to surrender my will over to God.

I shared my breakthrough in my meeting tonight about how I am experiencing these emotions without the thought of drinking to supress my emotions. I also realized the feelings of anger or sadness were completely lifted once I prayed.

After my meeting, I said my evening prayers and lost myself in meditation. Ill tell you one thing there is no amount of alcohol or anxiety medication that can bring me to this current state of tranquility its such an amazing feeling. The mind is so powerful.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

The relief and freedom is real! Glad you are moving forward. I'm impressed by you, keep up the fabulous work.

I wish you well on your sober journey!!

Have a beautiful sober day!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks you for your comments about meditation. It is something that I have thought about alot and I really need to try it!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I still really struggle with meditation, but am trying and will keep trying as it is in the 12 steps. Have had brief glimpses of tranquility and you are right - better than drugs for sure.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AucklandAddict View Post
I still really struggle with meditation, but am trying and will keep trying as it is in the 12 steps. Have had brief glimpses of tranquility and you are right - better than drugs for sure.

when i got into recovery, i would lay in bed and try and clear my mind and think of Gods will. next thing ya know, my mind is off everywhere else but that!
my sponsor taught me meditating is as easy as turning the radio off. i can be working out in my shop with no radio on and, believe it or not, get better results.
isnt peace and serenity awesome!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 04:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

TY SB. I am helping others in my netwrk by teaching them too.

The crazy thing for me is that Ive never been a great yoga student or been able to meditate bc ive never been able to shut my brain off but by praying and surrending to God my mind has been made clear so I can do this and during the imagery phase of my meditation I ask God to remove my fear, obsession with drinking and fill me with love, gratitude and tolerance so I can carry His message.

I do find this strange how it works but I dont question it I am listening and trusting my sponsor when she tells me it works.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

That's fantastic! I am happy for you.

I went out a few years ago and bought what I call a prayer chair. It's a special wood carved bench seat that I sit on for the sole purpose of meditation and prayer. It took a while to find just the right one. It had it speak to me.

At the time I bought it this women was looking at it before me. I knew I wanted it so I had to distract her so I could grab it to take to the register. It worked. And I spend as much time on it as I can. Especially when things get troublesome in my life.

Glad meditation works for you! It takes practice.

Ken
Old 07-17-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Buddy,
If you ask me, sounds like your starting to become spiritually awake. Awesome!
Thanks for sharing!