Notices

One week of sobriety, scared I will drink today

Old 07-16-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One week of sobriety, scared I will drink today

Hi, I've posted a few times last week and this site has been very helpful. I felt great this weekend, went to a yoga class, went to church, spent time with my family, felt like I could do this.

I'm a stay at home mom and my husband is back to work today. The kids and I got out and did a few things, but I'm feeling frustrated. My habit was to drink in the afternoon while they nap and I'm so tempted right now to run out and get a bottle of wine.

I felt so good this morning waking up and knowing I hadn't had any alcohol in a week. I can't believe how weak I feel right now.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Speaking from experience as somebody who has faltered at the 1 week mark twice... don't do it. It won't be worth it and you definitely won't feel great in the morning.

It's so hard when having to change habits that have been ingrained with us for years. Is there anything else you could do? Do you have a good book? Maybe watch a film?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

So, if afternoon nap time for the kids is a trigger, find something that will take your mind off drinking at that time. Call a friend to come over, do some yoga at home, get a good book to read, start writing a journal, do something that you enjoy. It will help you to break the habit.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've spent more hours than I care to remember in the arcade here just to blank my mind out! Might be worth a look if you are that way inclined
Old 07-16-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

So what are you going to do at their nap time today to unwind and enjoy yourself?

If I were you I'd make some mint iced tea and enjoy it in the sun with your laptop. You may roll your eyes and say that's lame but these are the things I have learned to enjoy in sobriety.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you! I think the key is not to run out and buy any. They will go to bed in about an hour and I plan to read. Even if I want to drink, I don't have any in the house.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like the mint iced tea idea! :-)
Old 07-16-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, don't go to the store to buy it! Post more later, looking forward to following your journey to sobriety!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can relate a lot to you seeing I usually tend to give in at the one week mark. I almost gave it today and I'm only at day 3!

Just play the tape all the way through. When you crave you only think of the good times. Do you really think if you drank it would be the last time you did? Addiction will tell you that it will only be once more but just think of all the times that it wasn't.
  # 10 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

The start is SO HARD. There's a reason I have an alien as my avatar. I really had to learn how to do everything again. Like an alien. It's amazing how much booze had permeated my whole existence. My only way to celebrate, grieve, relax etc.
  # 11 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Yeah, keeping your mind off of it is important. I do this w/ hobbies like playing my guitar or running. I know running isn't possible with the kids, but there are plenty of things that can keep you busy.
Congratulations on a week. You will be so happy if you stick with it.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

1. Believe you can do it.
  2. Choose to do it.
  3. Do it.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I started baking. It's a wonderful way to COMPLETELY take your mind off things. You have to totally concentrate and get things right, and then when you're done you can look at what you've made and think 'yay! I did that.' It's very therapeutic and great for giving to others - your kids will love you for it!

Just remember that you really DO NOT have to drink. Learn how to understand and deal with those thoughts that make you feel like you should/could/need to go and pick up a glass. They are thoughts, nothing more. You can be far more powerful than a thought process - all you have to do is say no. Over time that voice will quieten and your 'no' will be much firmer.

Do ANYTHING, just don't take that first drink.

All the best.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi CMC. I too am one week into this journey and it is tough. I want to love myself again and make my kids proud of my efforts.
We can do this, especially with all the wonderful support here.
Hugs, Lit
Old 07-16-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone. I didn't buy any alcohol, my kids are asleep, I've been reading. I felt kind of silly and needy posting this earlier, but it really helped. It made me feel accountable.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There is nothing SILLY about posting when tempted. If it kept you from going to the store to buy your afternoon wine then it was definitely worth it!

All the best... carvel
Old 07-16-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Silly was probably the wrong word. I certainly don't ever think anyone is silly when I read their posts. Sometimes I just question what on earth my problem is. I feel like I should have more control, like it shouldn't be such a big deal to me, such a problem.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Originally Posted by cmc133 View Post
Silly was probably the wrong word. I certainly don't ever think anyone is silly when I read their posts. Sometimes I just question what on earth my problem is. I feel like I should have more control, like it shouldn't be such a big deal to me, such a problem.
We all feel like that one point or another!! Don't question why! Just focus on moving forward and staying sober. You can do it!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats on a week, cmc!
And no it isn't silly posting when you start to struggle and feel weak. It could be the one thing that stops you from picking up the drink. It has been for me.
As for baking. Baking is good. I like baking. The fact that I've made pastry while blacked out on the other hand... But yes, very therapeutic is baking.
And as for asking why... why is a pointless question. Why can drag you down.
Two weeks ago tomorrow I told a (non AA) friend I'd gone 30 days without a drink.
He told me that was good. I replied that maybe it was, but the fact it was good was fairly depressing. Normal people don't make a big thing about it. It shouldn't be a big thing. At one time it wouldn't have been for me. So why is it now?
And that's where why gets you. How, when, why... none of them really matter. The only real question is, what do I do about it?
And you're doing the right thing.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Big congrats on one week, I didn't see how it was possible to make it a week when I began this journey. I did, 24hrs at a time. It was more moment by moment for me.
Posting here is exactly what you should do, there are alot of people with alot of experience to share. Always someone there to lend support.
Feeling alone is not a good thing. I was shocked to find a whole lot of people who knew exactly what I was going through.
Hang in there