Notices

I think Im ready to quit smoking

Old 07-15-2012, 03:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think Im ready to quit smoking

Hi.

Its day 167. I still can't listen others telling me how much they drunk on weekends. Or how much they will drink next weekend. Can't stand these topics.

I still have no new friends, but for some reason I like my own company.

I still have a very bad addiction to fight and its smoking. But now its time to quit smoking too.

Im not sure how. Please help. Thank you.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi,
I gave up smoking 4.5 weeks ago and Im enjoying every min of it.
You say that you THINK you are ready to quit.....I think you should KNOW you are ready. I always said I will try to quit but then I realised I really wasn't building my mind up to quit....'cause trying is a cop out for me: a very good quote I have seen is....do or do not, there is no try....yoda
So this time I made the choice...I will not be a smoker anymore.
I hope this makes some sense to you
Old 07-15-2012, 04:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Healthyfood, congratulations on 167 days, that is AMAZING! Good for you.

I'm a smoker, too, and I'm also getting ready to quit for good. I have a doctors appointment on Wednesday and I plan to ask for nicotine gum on prescription. I have bought myself SkyCig - an E cigarette, which I am only going to use when I am DESPERATE for a cigarette, but I'm hoping that the gum will be OK most of the time. I am going back into education in September and I want to be free of the cigarettes!

Good luck on quitting, let me know how it goes... I'll be joining you soon!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

I have the patch and some lozenges for any major cravings. Quit day will be Thursday, July 19, 2012.....

I'm joining ya!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hello ,

Day 316 here . When i quit smoking i threw the pack of tobacco and papers into the fire and decided i was a non-smoker , i did'nt go through this thing which other people call giving up .

I then avoided smokers and places that sell tobacco for about 3 months . I made sure in my head i was a non-smoker , got used to the idea and re-enforced it with smelling my mums old ash trays . Hearing and noting to myself others with smokers cough and reading up on the cancerous consequences of smoking . I think yul brynners' anti smoking video had a strong impression, it's on u-tube somewhere . I gave up smoking 7 years ago .

good luck M

Last edited by mecanix; 07-15-2012 at 04:28 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-15-2012, 04:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

we also have a smoking forum HF:

Nicotine/Smoking - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Good luck

D
Old 07-15-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good on you everyone
Its a roller coaster ride for the first 3 weeks and then it gets easier..
I still have my moments but love not having to go outside in the cold in the rain etc lol
Can sit thru' a whole movie and not have to pause or leave for a quick puff. Its wonderful cause if I feel like one I have a lozenge and breathe thru' it.
You guys can do it
Old 07-15-2012, 04:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for support.

I smoke only in the evenings. 6 pm used be "its time to open the first bottle time". So I have replaced that with smoking.

Quitting drinking was very hard, I hope quitting smoking will be easier.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

do you have a hobby lined up to replace the hand movements?
Old 07-15-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I quit a 37-year, 3-pack-a-day smoking habit, but not nicotine, painlessly. In fact I'm really enjoying it! And I'm slowly cutting down the nicotine level. I tried everything except Chantix and hypotism to quit and nothing worked. I started using this in early April meaning just to cut down, and quickly found myself preferring it and cigarettes taste nasty now.

I'm using an "electronic cigarette" and flavored juices. NOT the overpriced, inferior cigarette-looking types you buy in malls or gas stations. Not sure if I can post any links but PM me if you're interested.

I feel like a non-smoker again. No coughing or chest pressure, my sense of smell has returned, physical stamina way up - I'm riding my bike more and walking the dogs further.

Some of my favourite juices: snickerdoodle cookie, bananas fosters with cream, espresso, organic dark turkish roast coffee, caramel capuccino, pinapple orange blend, and a couple of complex tobacco/cinnamon/honey type blends.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

snickerdoodle cookie juice? care to share the recipe?
Old 07-15-2012, 05:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
snickerdoodle cookie juice? care to share the recipe?
I don't make it myself - although many people do. I buy from online vendors...I will PM one of the mods and ask if it's OK to post links!
Old 07-15-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

sugarbear1

No nothing lined up to replace the hand movements. Im a little different smoker.
I like to smoke only by the kitchen window and nowhere else. So its not like I crave cigarettes all day, its just a bad habit in the evening.
The question is what could be the replacement?
Old 07-15-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi Healthy,
I still have my smoking habit after quitting the booze too. I don't smoke nearly as much as I did when drinking, but coffee has replaced the booze and cigarettes remain my vice. I don't think will attempt to quit just yet. When my alcoholic voice starts talking, stepping out for a smoke seems to distract me until a craving passes. First things first!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
totfit

I think something that folks rarely discuss or totally ignore is that more alcoholics die from smoking related causes than drinking related. This is of course due to the large percentage of alcoholics that are smokers, but also shows the true seriousness of the addiction.