Notices

Anyone Ever Use a Flask?

Old 07-13-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone Ever Use a Flask?

I needed a new computer bag so went to the mall and went to a specialty luggage retailer. Really nice store with high end luggage, computer bags, briefcases and that sort of thing. As I was mulling around I noticed that they also had a nice stash of Flasks. Really . . . in this day and age. Personally I never used a flask (or thought of using of one) in my active drinking days. I never gave it any thought. I did notice that they are expensive and quite fancy. Looking back, I guess the reason I never gave it any thought is because it would have been habitually empty and not of much use.

I guess my question is who uses them? Has anyone here? No judgment, just wondering.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Yes... I had two... One was leather bound.

I used to fill them and take them with me to bars in NYC. I would drink at the bar AND go to the bathroom for more out of the flask.

I did this regularly.... But you need tube socks!

Ken
Old 07-13-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
I did this regularly.... But you need tube socks!
Oh my land! That makes me giggle - glad I didn't know that earlier! Would've gotten into even more trouble!

I have looked at flasks - they do make nice ones. They make nice shoes for women with small feet (mine are man-sized), too, and I guess I won't have THAT fun either! Oh well.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

I didn't have a flask, but I had a purse. One of the last times I went out, I had those little mini bottles of wine in my purse and I kept sneaking off to drink in the bathroom.. IN A BAR! Ugh... pathetic..
Old 07-13-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nope, not for me. My husband and dad love them, though. Not that they ever use them!
Old 07-13-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Nope. I was a beer drinker and it had to be cold beer. Not at all conducive to a flask.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was always too ashamed of my drinking to have something pretty and flashy like a hip flask...smoking on the other hand, I had a silver antique cigarette case which took me years to find (one that fitted roll-ups) and various engraved zippos. I'd imagine for some people a flask would be part of the ritual, but for me it would have just identified me as an alcoholic! Something I was careful to avoid.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

flasks are for fancy alcoholics. i just snuck my vodka around in water bottles. gotta keep hydrated! it's so nice not to worry about that now. i used to have a funnel in my kitchen supplies just for pouring vodka from the big bottle into the smaller ones.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Live2Run25 View Post
I didn't have a flask, but I had a purse. One of the last times I went out, I had those little mini bottles of wine in my purse and I kept sneaking off to drink in the bathroom.. IN A BAR! Ugh... pathetic..
I did that too, found some little bottles of wine like 5 or 6 ounces, mine were made of glass, though. I wondered who else bought them, besides me. I pretended (in my mind) that I could keep track of how much I drank. Also, carried a nice large purse. I would go off to bathroom to drink mine and discreetly throw away the bottle! Double Ugh!
Old 07-13-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Nah, I just put my vodka in a water bottle. It was much more practical.

Speaking of purses, my favorite purse was the one that could hold a six-pack of beer.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A flask would be about 2 very large sips ??
Not enough...
l did see tha W.C.Fields had a walking ( hollow) cane filled with whiskey,, made me think..
Old 07-13-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

To be honest, I tried... but in all sincerity I can't quite figure out what this has to do either 'Sober' or 'Recovery'...

so I'm calling it a day on this one.
Thanks

D