Notices

Hello

Old 07-12-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful Recovering Alcoholic

Hello

Hello everyone. I ran across this site as i surfed the net looking for some type of encouragement. I'm a 35 yr old mommy who has developed a real narcotics problem. Over the past two years I've used every day, thinking i could quit anytime. For a couple months i've attempted to get clean and get my life back, and can't seem to make it through a day totally sober. Need sober friends and encouragement please!!!! I'm so tired of going down the wrong road.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Sweet! It's my first day here after a long absence. Please know that you are not alone in this, there are many going through the exact thing. I'll let the members with more senority do the heavy lifting here, as I am new too. I'm very glad you decided to post. For many, it's not an easy thing to do!

Welcome!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Do you have anything in the house? Can you get rid of it so it's not a temptation? Also, have you been through withdrawls before? Seeing a doctor when starting on the road of recovery is always an excellent early step. Welcome to SR! Heh, sorry for bombarding you with questions right off the bat!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome sweetnlow!

I tried quitting on my own, too and just couldn't do it. I felt like I was fighting the same battle every day, yet my drinking kept getting worse. The best thing I ever did was to reach out here.

Keep reading and posting, and also - check out the substance abuse forum: Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Glad you've joined us!
Old 07-13-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

welcome! I just came off my narcotics after 4 months (or longer?). I had surgery and was prescribed them but was starting to abuse them. I am an alcoholic primarily (sober almost 2 years). So I'm no stranger to addiction and saw the signs. Now I'm struggling because my pain is bad. Sigh. Anyway enough about me.

I know the withdrawal is a killer and tapering is hard. I am a mother also. I did a half assed taper and stocked up on immodium.

What is your plan?
Old 07-13-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome to the team, SweetnLow - I really like your username btw.

You are starting a big project here, think of it as a bathroom reno if you like. How do you go about something like that? You get some professional advice first (see a Dr.), and then you make a plan that has a beginning, some parts in the middle, and an end. You are going to need some materials and some tools, and you will also need some help from your friends and neighbours from time to time. The task seems a little overwhelming but only until you get started. Then, you just keep doing the next thing in your plan.

There is a ton of support here, and from folks that have been in those shoes you are wearing right now. Percs, oxy, hydro, codeine, dilaudid, opana, fentanyl, smack, all of these have been beaten and pushed from the present into the distant past. You can do it too.

Keep posting, SweetnLow, one day soon you may need to change that username since you will just be Sweet! Best to you.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am an alcoholic so I don't have specific advice for you. But with addiction, admitting it is the first step. There are stages of readiness to quitting addiction. Google this. I think it's a great tool. Having that open and honest conversation with yourself. Help is good. Sobriety rocks! Posting helps too. You've taken the first step, keep going friend. you are worth it!
Old 07-13-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful Recovering Alcoholic

Thanks everyone sooo much for posting and encouraging me. I had never even tried drugs of any kind until two years ago. My friend told me there was a "legal" drug i could try, spice. I tried that crazy stuff and have experimented with many others since. I called myself having fun and relaxing, until i realize i can't get thru the day without anything. It's to the point where if someone offers me a pill or cocaine i never say no. Just realized i've become someone i don't respect. I want to be better for myself and my kids.

I tried setting rules for myself, like "only on weekends", but that doesn't work. My boyfriend who lives with me likes the dope even more than i do. I'm trying to convince him to get clean with me. I'm going to see a Dr. next week for suggestions. I got rid of all the stuff we had in the house last night. We are going to get bikes and start exercising. Drugs have destroyed the lives of many who are close to me. I just don't want to go any farther down this road.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No better time than the present, Sweet! I hope you are successful in convincing your fella to give it a go clean as well. I found it near impossible to get off of the sauce until my wife was supporting my sobriety by abstaining along with me.

It can be done! Your Dr. is a great place to start!
Old 07-13-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR sweetnlow - sounds like you're making some great decisions

D
Old 07-13-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hello sweet. It's great that you're owning up to the problem & seeking solutions. Some never reach that point, and continue their downward spiral. I'm happy to see you're willing to take action. You're not alone in this - we all get it - and want you to have a better life.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Hi SweetnLow! I found this site back in 2007 being a stay at home Mommy and an active narcotics addict. Today I have almost 19 months clean and sober!

There is a ton of support here! Welcome!

Lily