Notices

New and unsure

Old 07-11-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and unsure

I am new here. Don’t know who can help me yet. I can probably come up with many excuses’ why I became something that I am not but they wouldn’t be true. I have to own this. I am an alcoholic that just hit rock bottom. And am trying to quit. Had my last beer Monday night. Have been setting up appointments with professionals and AA the last two days. Looking for advice and I am unsure where to turn.
Regards
Ackard1
Old 07-11-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ackard

I think setting up meetings with professionals, getting involved in AA and posting here are good places to start

You'll find a lot of support here - good to have you here

D
Old 07-11-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Hello there! welcome to SR! There is a TON of support here. I wish you all the best
Old 07-11-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like off to great start! Don't know what AA meetings have attended but keep trying them or START. and try different groups too. It sucks to go thru struggles of recovery BUT not nearly as much as staying drunk. For many, there IS a lower bottom. What I found about AA was even if u slip- KEEP GOING BACK! Get rid of all alcohol and drugs in house, avoid old drinking buddies and know its not easy BUT there will be a payoff for you IF you work it. Also don't let the "God" thing scare u off. Hang around after or before meetings too. You will find strength in some with time under their belt.
Congrats on making first step to taking back control of your life.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Vibrantsun,

I have to admit I did some reading last night about AA. Started reading their book. Between the amounts of religious backing and having to announce my failures to the world scare the hell out of me. I know my failures I don’t necessarily even want to go back and look at them. I just want to get past the addiction, move forward with what little dignity I have left, and build from there.
Thanks
Ackard 1
Old 07-11-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're still in the looking stage maybe these links may help...

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players, including AA:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach

D
Old 07-11-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Seo

Hey there,

Dont worry too much about the religious part. The book says many of us had issues with faith, and its true, we do. You only have to remain open to the idea, you dont have to go signing up to any creed. I agree its truly frightening. I found this to be a big challenge.

Having said that, there is no one more cynical than me and Ive learnt to believe in something bigger. Also Im on day 5 this time round, that proves something is out there. I couldnt do it by will power.

So you dont need to run away screaming just yet, we were all like you. I still cant handle it when people talk about God however I can see its their understanding they refer to, not mine.

I recently podcasted two shows from some radio stations which really widened my view of what a higher power in my life could be:-

The first one is on a show called "tapestry" from cbc canada,
The episode is called "god of your understanding, Religion in AA"

The God of Your Understanding: Religion in AA | Tapestry with Mary Hynes | CBC Radio

The second show is on american public media called "on being" and the show was called spirituality, addiction and recovery: Krista's Journal: Harnessing Mystery for Human Healing | On Being

I hope these help you on your journey.

Seo.