Notices

Good things from getting sober

Old 07-12-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Lost that is so awesome. I had a similar experience (somewhat) with my dentist. I didn't actually tell them that I was an alcoholic but my dental hygeniest this most recent appointment first remarked that it looked as if I had lost 50 lbs. (nah, only 35) but then while she was checking on and cleaning my teeth she remarked that something in my diet must have changed or I must be brushing my teeth more or something because I didn't have as much build up around my gums and even my gums were healthier.
Isn't it so amazing how alcohol hit so many different parts of our bodies and made us sooooo dang unhealthy!

Very cool.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I am amazed at how much more my health has improved in just 6 months. Now, 6 months ago I'd think that 6 months out would be FOREVER. But it's flown by! It seems like yesterday I was posting about my quit date, Jan. 1 and defending it. Then defending my choice not to run out and pick a sponsor. Defending my anti-AA sentiment. Soooo much has changed in such a short time!

Thanks for the well wishes everyone - I don't post a lot on here any longer and I kind of like to check in. Especially for those who might remember me from before. I was in quite a bit of angst!
Old 07-13-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Well it's good to hear from you Lost!!! So you never got into AA either? I kind of did want to but just couldn't rely on my hubby to take care of our son in the evenings during meetings.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Thanks! Well, I was anti-AA, but I was really just being judgmental and ignorant - because I'd never tried it before. I love AA. It's very accessible. All over my city, with times on the hour, every hour, from 5am to midnight. I've met a lot of friends this way. We have coffees, lunches, dinners. I go to meetings mostly during my lunch hour, in a church basement one block from my work. Sometimes I go to ones near my house, in a suburb. I've run into a lot of colleagues in my mtgs, and that used to freak me out, but now I feel like I'm at home. No judgment from others, and they all welcomed me with open arms. I share during my mtgs a lot and that helps me so much. I wish everyone could have my experience, but I understand many don't. The God thing was a big sticking point with me, but I feel it's not so big of an issue that I will toss my recovery because of it.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Lost, FANTASTIC thread. Thank you.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I so wish they had meetings around here at better times. Like earlier in the day. Then I could take off from work (possibly) to go to those. They only have late ones here like around 6 to 8 pm.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Whaaaa? For real? That's crazy! Absolutely nothing earlier in the day - is your town really small? Sheesh, Denver isn't all that big, but still! Sorry for you!!
Old 07-13-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Well the town I live near has a liquor store on every corner, a Mickey D's on the opposite corner and it even boasts a Walmart and a Golden corral.(hubby and I refer to that as the "fat corral" LOL) oh and it has loads of people hanging out with their jeans down around their rear ends at the local train station. Oh and they're also hanging out with bottles wrapped in paper. LOL.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by munchkin05 View Post
Well the town I live near has a liquor store on every corner, a Mickey D's on the opposite corner and it even boasts a Walmart and a Golden corral.(hubby and I refer to that as the "fat corral" LOL) oh and it has loads of people hanging out with their jeans down around their rear ends at the local train station. Oh and they're also hanging out with bottles wrapped in paper. LOL.
Likewise. Only add to that several bars on each block, downtown, then in the burbs liquor stores at every intersection and strip mall. We have I don't know how many Walmarts and Golden Corral (ick - although it sure was good when hungover).

I still can't believe you don't have more meetings.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I'm sure this is obvious to you, but did you already peruse this site?

Maryland Alcoholics Anonymous Meetings
Old 07-16-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Yup I have but they've ADDED some!!! Those 12n meetings weren't there a few months ago!!!
Hhhmm. Okay, if LWOP (leave without pay) comes back into the office here as an option I'm all over it!

LOL This immediate area boasts *1* whole Walmart.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

But you can't go on your lunch hour? Is it the commute time? Your employer sounds like a PITA (pain in the *ss). The one I attend regularly has noon meetings, and that's when I go.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I get 30 minutes unfortunately. By the time I reach the front gate of the military post it's time for me to go back.
I actually work from 8a, take lunch from 11a to 1130a, then leave at 430p, pick son up at 445p, get home by 515p, hubby gets home by 630p to 7p. Thankfully when I was first in the really early days of my sobriety, things at work were super slow, boss was looking for people to take leave without pay so I was taking anywhere from 1 to 3 days unpaid leave to deal with my stuff. Now, boss is really picky about us taking leave. If it's vacation or sick, no problem as long as no one else has off. Leave without pay now is SUPER hard to get. I have to whine, beg and plead and even then it's not a guarantee.
I told my substance abuse counselor that THANK GOD I chose to get sober during an off time at work. It allowed me to take massive amounts of time off.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you feel you need meetings munchkin, I think it's best to make time.

The inconvenience of logistical gymnastics is way better than looking back and wishing you'd done something, y'know?

D
Old 07-16-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Actually I haven't really felt the massive need. It's always been more like "hhmm, that would be nice" but mostly for the companionship of others who are in the same boat. I get that here somewhat though.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

So have you been to any, even one? They are really nice. Does your area have early morning? In my area, those are full of working professionals as we are all trying to get to work. What a tough schedule. In Colo., they love to give time off without pay. Heck, they forced state employees to do that - they call them "furloughs".

Well, I hope you get to a mtg. You could also try doing one on the weekend, one every week. I heard my sponsor speak today about habits and how comforting they are to her. I can't seem to get in a habit of meetings, I hit them sporadically during the week. But I don't have kids. And I'm thinking for you, that might really help out. Talk to the husband, see if he'll agree to 1.25 hours a weekend so you can have YOU time.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:37 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

No, I haven't been to even one of them. I kind of would like to but all this past winter and spring the only ones they had were in the evening around 530p to 7p. All no good because hubby was gone from January to March.
I might try to start attending on the weekends in early Autumn because you're right. Those ones might work. Right now though, almost every weekend we've been away from home until Sunday mid day.
Actually what I really cannot wait for is October. I'm taking a weapons class and then I'm going to start a membership at a firing range!
That is the one thing I've been really working towards in my sobriety. Trying all sorts of new things, anything and everything I've ever wanted to learn, do, etc. When I was drinking I was hiding from life. I would stay in my house, cook, clean, drink, collapse on the couch asleep, then get up, go to work. Next day start again. I keep telling hubby I want to do all the things that I simply couldn't do when I was drinking and I was so unhealthy!
This weekend we're going tubing down a river which I've NEVER done along with hiking and berry picking (which I have done).
Next year we might even go white water rafting with my son!
Can't wait!
Old 07-17-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Wow, you are much more adventurous than I am! Awesome you are getting out there. That was my motto early on, to jump out and do all kinds of things outside of my comfort zone. I've had a lot going on at home lately and that keeps me busy enough. I also read about 10 times more than before.

I finished a book in a week, which is my all-time record. I work more than full-time so it's not like I had all day to sit around and read. If I did, I'd be done in 3 days!

Anyway, I hope you make time for some regular meetings. I hope you find a meeting as great as mine too. I really look forward to going as I have several friends there and it's comforting to have them around - knowing that they've been where I am.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Yup, I'm trying. I don't want to hang out in the house when I'm not working. First thing, I get bored and that is REALLY bad. That is when the AV talks a lot more.
We got a new camper in April so we bring it out every few weeks, (sometimes every single weekend) to try out different places. Right now I'm planning a splunking/camping trip up near Harrisburg PA in September.
We'll probably have one more camping trip, possibly two before we tuck in our camper for the winter and take a break.
The way we look at it, no matter what, we've only got about 16 months left here on the East coast before we move.
Then we're either moving back to Alaska or somewhere else hopefully out west.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Come to Colorado! It's great here. Your trips sound really fun!