Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

So what does a person who constitutionally incapable of being honest with himself do?

Notices

So what does a person who constitutionally incapable of being honest with himself do?

Old 07-10-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I was in the same boat. I knew I had a problem, tried to cut back, but kept getting wasted. Even the times I tried not to drink I did. Luck for me part of my probation was going to AA meetings. I can't explain it but, just one day it clicked. I haven had a drink since. Just keep trying.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Shallow,

Please let us know how you are doing.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
~sb

Maybe you just aren't done drinking yet.

Are you ready to stay stopped? Are you willing to go to any lengths?

You are reaching out, this is a great beginning! It took me 25 years between my first meeting and my last drink. I wasn't trying to do that....

Glad you are here and asking! Stick around!!

Maybe listen to xa-speakers.org David A. at Joplin on August 27th 1994 has a great talk!~so do others

Most likely you aren't incapable of being honest. I once read somewhere that that statement was written for Al Anons.... (bill w. had to throw some things in for others, specifically lois....)

(I must disagree with the IQ statement. My former students had a better understanding of "honesty" than people I know with IQ's on the high end of the spectrum)
Hugs,
Old 07-10-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Shallow--

It does not matter you are "done drinking yet" or not. You do not have to continue drinking and should not listen to anyone who encourages you to think that you do.

Ready or not, you can find a way to stop drinking. Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise! (I bet if you get down to it, most people who stop drinking were not "done" but stopped anyway.)
Old 07-11-2012, 05:37 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Shallow,

I hope you are all right. I am truly concerned about you. And I hope that you will ignore those people who are giving you reasons you "can't" quit. "Constitutionally incapable"..."not done drinking"...don't listen to any of it.

You CAN quit drinking. I believe in you.

Please let us know how you are doing.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I have learned through AA to attune myself to my Higher Power every morning.
Here is a good attunement prayer:

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be in the Christ Consciousness. Purge from me all unrighteousness and make my body whole in Your service.

That prayer has attuned me to the Christ Consciousness every morning. It is on my mirror, I say it whenever I brush my teeth. I also say it throughout the day. I also do a lot of other things, but this prayer has taken me from feeling hopeless, unwanted, drained to feeling so much better and loved.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

REPLY - Posted by tomsteve

REPLY - Posted by tomsteve

“1st, there has to be an understanding of what “constitutionally incapable of being honest” means as it is written in the BB, it means a person’s IQ is so low they can’t even grasp what honesty is.”

Tom, what in the world does a person’s IQ have to do concerning the context in which this phrasing is used in the BB? It has absolutely nothing to do with a person’s IQ. For example, I have IQ that is rather prominent in certain areas, yet I have trouble balancing a checkbook or preforming tasks that many people would consider mundane.
Yet am I “constitutionally incapable of being honest”? To be truthful, I lie about certain things at times, or perhaps misremember and as time passes by in my sobriety; memories come back into focus and I may have to make amends long lost in my mind. I believe this is the case with the vast majority of Homo-Sapiens.

I never divulge my actual “sobriety date” other than being “today” because I believe it creates a hierarchical status in the fellowship and dissolves the one day at a time approach. That is just how I work my program because I am “constitutionally incapable” of being a sponsor as I have difficulties in dialogue with others due to a mental illness which I am treated for and take every step to combat, my natural preferred discourse of dialogue is by utilization of a keyboard.
That does not mean I have a “low IQ”, it means I have a deficiency in my genetic pattern or perhaps a social skill I never learned growing up due to the nature of my communal environment as a child.

Please, prior to demeaning others of their mental capacities, learn what words mean, learn how they were used in the epoch in which they were constructed and whom they were authored by.

If a person feels they are “constitutionally incapable of being honest”, it does not mean they cannot stay sober for a day, and after time the days may add up, or perhaps they will die prematurely as a result of this disease, but at least they had those days when they were able to make it without drinking or using – the trick is to keep coming back – this we can agree on yes?

Definition of CONSTITUTIONALLY
a : in accordance with one's constitution <constitutionally unable to grasp subtleties>
b : in structure, composition, or constitution <despite repeated heating’s the material remained constitutionally the same>
: in accordance with a political constitution <was not constitutionally eligible to fill the office>

Examples of CONSTITUTIONALLY
<I'm afraid that I'm constitutionally incapable of carrying a tune.>

First Known Use of CONSTITUTIONALLY

Related to CONSTITUTIONALLY
Synonyms
congenitally, naturally, inherently, innately, intrinsically
Old 09-01-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Mykel, looks like this thread is 2 years old.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:21 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nevertheless - welcome Mykel - good to have you join us

D
Old 09-01-2014, 10:33 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Oops