Notices

22 days and going nuts with anxiety!

Old 07-08-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

22 days and going nuts with anxiety!

The anxiety is very up and down. The really really really bad panic attacks are mostly gone, but I am having SUCH a hard time getting organized and sticking to a schedule. As a result, I end up spending my days running around like a nut trying to do as much cleaning/cooking/meetings as I can, and end up so burned out by the end of the day all I can do is look at this website or vegetate in front of the tv! I took a sewing class last week and really loved it but haven't done any sewing since then because I keep neglecting to take time out for myself. Has anyone else been through this? I know I need to take it easy right now, just having such a hard time doing it. Arrrgh! Any advice would be greatly appreciated Hope everyone is well.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I attended/attend AA meetings regularly.

I wish you the best.

Bob R
Old 07-08-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I go for walks specially late night when its so quite and peaceful. Read, workout , go to the library, and meetings always calm my anxious feelings.

Congrats on 22 days. It took my several months to really calm down my anxiety.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I can totally relate - I always tried to do it all..... and I had to do it perfectly and as fast as I could. And at the end of the day, I was acutely aware of the things still left undone.

A counselor in rehab once told me I needed to just "be" - He said "We are human beings, not human doings." It's a hard habit to break, though - I'm still working on it.

In the first weeks of sobriety I was able to let a LOT of stuff go, simply because I had to. I saw that when I started thinking about what I needed to do, I got overwhelmed and that made me want to drink. So I just gave myself permission to let things go.

Just my two cents, but I found a couple of things that have really helped me (when I use them!): mindfulness and staying in the moment. There are probably other tools as well, but the big idea is to be aware of what you're thinking and telling yourself that creates the anxiety. Then you can begin to challenge some of those thoughts and begin to replace them with more positive ones.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have anxiety issues too, and for me mindful meditation helps. Also, i quit drinking coffee and switched to green tea. Drinking too much caffeine can exhaserbate anxiety.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Bridge Through Time

i agree with GNLY, caffeine can really cause a lot of problems with anxiety. And for me working out helps a lot. A combination of weightlifting and long runs really makes things better.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I like to read. It's such a quiet activity and it an excellent for me to destress. I have a rather active imagination and my mind is always buzzing so for me reading is kind of like taking my mind out for a jog. After a few chapters of a good book and i'm usually quite relaxed. After that i'm better able to tackle problems that require my full attention. Coming here and reading/writing in the forums helps too.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Learning how to be still was very important. Concentrate on you. recovery readings, explore SR, meetings. The most inportant job you have right now is staying sober.
Take care of yourself
Old 07-08-2012, 10:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Iamtoru,

Great advice, how about a nap after lunch or a powernap.. Things will settle I promise you, already the super panic attacks have subsided.

So what did you do I your first sewing class?

You are doing great.

Love
caiHong
Old 07-08-2012, 10:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

I log on sr every day and read literature every day, also I get up extra early to have time for me. When I was drinking I was in such a state I couldn't even get out of bed lol, each day is a new day.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Imatoru, 22 days? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iamtoru View Post
The anxiety is very up and down. The really really really bad panic attacks are mostly gone, but I am having SUCH a hard time getting organized and sticking to a schedule. As a result, I end up spending my days running around like a nut trying to do as much cleaning/cooking/meetings as I can, and end up so burned out by the end of the day all I can do is look at this website or vegetate in front of the tv! I took a sewing class last week and really loved it but haven't done any sewing since then because I keep neglecting to take time out for myself. Has anyone else been through this? I know I need to take it easy right now, just having such a hard time doing it. Arrrgh! Any advice would be greatly appreciated Hope everyone is well.
Please Google and read AA's "The Doctors Opinion" and "How It Works".

If you are an alcoholic of my sort the words in those 2 documents will ring true and you will know what needs to be done.

If you are an alcoholic of my sort, taking a nap or drinking green tea will be a futile exercise. Like throwing a cup of water on a forest fire.

If you are an alcoholic of my sort and try to keep dry you will suffer until you know that you HAVE to drink again and if you don't you can't go on. You will have to end it.

If you are an alcoholic of my sort AA is the answer.
The truth will become self-evident to you soon.

This isn't the remedy to a head-cold we are talking about here. This is life and death. Make no mistake.

I wish you the best

Bob R
Old 07-09-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

All really good advise. I had really bad anxiety - it does got easier to deal with. I am over 100 days now and have found that meditation is the best way to relax my mind.

I wish you the best my friend.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I can relate. My roller coaster of emotions are still affecting me today, even though I am 6 months sober. They tell me that it might take 2 years before they start leveling off.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm on day 63 and most of my anxiety is gone. The first few weeks were a living hell. I could hardly drive a car or be in a crowd. The only way I got through it was constant physical activity. I was also completely burned out at the end of every day. After the first few weeks the anxiety came in waves that slowly but surely petered out. I had a few random bad days around day 45 or so. The last two weeks I've had little to no anxiety and my agoraphobia also easing up. I'm finally able to relax now after 2 months of being exhausted and on edge. It gets better. Stick with it! And congrats on 22 days!
Old 07-09-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My advice is to keep it simple. Expectations are a huge contributor to anxiety. Recovery has taught me to be OK when I'm stuck with me. Often times I am the creator of my own stress and it's a result of wanting to stay busy so I'm not stuck with me.

My advice, try some prayer and meditation throughout the day. It doesn't have to be planned, but throughout the day ask for peace and calmness. Doesn't matter if you don't believe in God or do. Talk to yourself. I used what I called my "inner voice" for a while.

Try it out, what do you have to lose...