Notices

Embarrassed...

Old 07-09-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks guys...

I guess my question wasn't so much "How do I stop beating myself up?" but rather "How do I stop drinking?" as some of you pointed out. It is really good to know that I'm not alone in this and there's really nothing wrong with me. A bit scary to realize how much of a problem I have, though. I guess I'm not quite sure where to go from here. I know I have a problem and the answer is starring me in the face. I guess I don't know how to live without it yet. I know there are valuable tools for me to use when I do get tempted. I just don't know what they are yet. But I also know that it's important to have support and I guess that's why I became aa member of SR. Thanks again for your input.

-EH21
Old 07-09-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Recovering

No need to be embarrassed here EH
Old 07-09-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

You are in the right place to get support for yourself. I didn't know what to do either, so the first thing I did was to get rid of the alcohol in the house. Then, I changed my daily routines. Early evening was my hardest time of the day so I started doing other things at that time that got me out of the house. I stayed away from the beer/wine areas of the grocery store.

Know for sure that you can do this.

Self Help Substance Abuse &amp Addiction Recovery | SMART RecoveryŽ

Alcoholics Anonymous :
Old 07-09-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Go to an AA meeting just to hear their stories if you don't want to dive in right away. Seeing healthy peoplewho don't drink and have been to hell and back, know people who died, and live a fulfilling life might motivate you to stop, if not join them.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

EH21,
I feel your pain. That's why I just joined today. The shame and embarrassment is overwhelming. Been praying hard all day and found this site. On day one... hungover, so not too difficult
Old 07-09-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
In Progress

I've just stopped drinking. I look forward to not having to check my phone in the morning to see if/who I called or texted anyone and if it even made any sense. I've embarrassed myself plenty of times and have had full out conversations where I don't remember a thing I said. Or for that matter, not having to look at where I even left my phone.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Originally Posted by Inca View Post
Yep! Drunk phone calls, texts, and emails became a problem for me. In the end I started hiding my phone so I couldn't call or email anyone. I never knew what I was going to find in the morning when I woke up. The texts and emails especially got angry in the end. Once I emailed my boss a threatening and incoherent email. Sooo embarrassing and almost got fired over it. Glad I don't have to worry about that anymore now that I've quit drinking. Thanks for the reminder
During one weekend binge, I became convinced my boss took papers out of my bag at work and I emailed him accusing him of a breach of privacy...which I also CC'd to the head of the whole department. I was fired that Monday morning....

The internet age has given us alcoholics far too many more opportunities to humiliate ourselves....
Old 07-09-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I once facebooked a friends new girlfriend and basically called her a ***** and a homewrecker even though it was none of my business, i didn't know her and i was only making problems for my friend and his wife (who was also a good friend). It was their problem and they were dealing with it but my drunk ass just had to add drama. My friends forgave me but part of me has never forgiven myself. Part of that badge of shame will stay with me forever. I will wear it and when i think of drinking, i will remember that. I will not be that fool again.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome Roseele!

Glad You Are Here Too!