Notices

I have gone as far as I can go alone

Old 07-08-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have gone as far as I can go alone

Well, 10.5 months sober and once again I have been isolating and I have been overthinking everything. I am not drinking, but I am not living. Standing still...no progress. So I called someone about an AA group here in town that I can easily make and practically drive by on the way home from work, and I am going to go. SR has kept me sober, but man I am getting pretty lonely. I need to learn to live again without alcohol, and be around people that understand (I am totally on my own). I still have my BB from 1985....I have moved it all over the place with me. Well, I guess I didn't really need to post this, but I wanted to tell someone that will care, if that makes sense. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Makes total sense from this side of the glass, Sissy. I hope you've stumbled upon a group that's a good fit.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Makes sense to me too, I think I'm in the same place. It's not easy to do these things alone or just around people who don't understand. Sounds like a positive step Sissy *hugs* x
Old 07-08-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...one of the big pluses for me in AA....meeting and enjoying
new friends who no longer drink...

After a 10 a.m. meeting 4 of us went out to brunch.
Then 2 went to the movies...2 of us did a bit of shopping.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm all for people doing whatever they need to keep moving forward Sissy
Congrats on your decision - I really hope you'll find what you need there

D
Old 07-08-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sissy - I'm glad you told us about this. It makes no sense to pretend everything's wonderful when you're hurting inside. I'm glad you aren't willing to settle for feeling blah and lonely. The meeting could be just the thing to help you at this stage. Please let us know how it goes.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I also love the AA world for many things , but a huge one is the social life it gives with sober people. Have fun and enjoy.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have tried AA meetings and they for me have been listening to other people's stories. Did not hear hope, strength, gratitude. Have not found many meetings that go through the steps or gratitude lists, resentment lists. Everyone just tells me they are there to help people stop drinking meaning if you hve stopped there is no help. That is why I see a therapist. No one seems to want to sponsor someone. The one person Who was willing just had me call her and tell her if I had a drink and that was it. Guess I sound really down about meetings.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sissy, my latter drinking years were mostly isolated. AA has been a very important part of my continued sobriety; forums alone really don't do it for me. Although SR is an amazing resource, it's just one tool in my tool-box.

Please post back about how it went.

pauline - I hear ya and it really depends on the meeting. I never realised how many different dynamics there were in AA meetings! Some suck, pretty much. Most are awesome. It sounds like you only stumbled on crappy meetings, they range from awful to extremely cool where I live and it took me a few to figure out where the cool ones were.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sissy07 View Post
Well, 10.5 months sober and once again I have been isolating and I have been overthinking everything. I am not drinking, but I am not living. Standing still...no progress. So I called someone about an AA group here in town that I can easily make and practically drive by on the way home from work, and I am going to go. SR has kept me sober, but man I am getting pretty lonely. I need to learn to live again without alcohol, and be around people that understand (I am totally on my own). I still have my BB from 1985....I have moved it all over the place with me. Well, I guess I didn't really need to post this, but I wanted to tell someone that will care, if that makes sense. Thanks.
Good for you! I tried to go it alone and I was miserable, resentful, jeolous, etc. AA has been a Godsend for me.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
orangutan

Sissy , I totally relate to where you are at.Congratations on 10.5, I hope you make some great friends at AA.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Pauline - Indeed there are many meeting to try. I just looked up your area and there are many 12x12,Discussion,Daily Reflection, and BB meetings. Just try many.I find most to be awesome also, and you can call your local office and they will find out of the many that will at least be a temp. sponsor till you find someone you truly want.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I need my friends in AA. I tend to isolate when my boys aren't here and they are always there for me. I can call whenever I need them, and they are always there. It feels good to have a support system that really cares.
Isolation is not good on anyone's Soul, it can drive a person insane. I know...... I go there sometimes........
Old 07-08-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Guys, thanks for the responses and well wishes. I don't feel so alone right now. I can't thank you enough for the support. If it wasn't for SR I know that I would not have made it this long. I have always been 100% honest in this forum - when I write I really mean what I say - I have had fantastic days and I have had some low days. I am just tired of this emotional/mental roller coaster.,..it really hit me today, because once again I wasted a great weekend doing very little. I know people that have passed away that would give anything to be alive just for today, and I go wasting time. Well, enough complaining. Sorry. I am just fed up. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sissy, try to be patient and kind with yourself. You've accomplished a lot by staying sober for so long. Take time to be proud of yourself for that. And, I hope you find something that works for you to continue your recovery.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Glad you posted, Sissy. I hope you find the connections you are looking for. You know we have similar sober times, this time 'round. It's taken me about this long to warm up to "real" people at those meetings, too. But, I've seen folks come in with 10 or 11 months and jump right into the social circles as well. I don't go to AA for that, but I am making new friends, and they are important to me, just as SR is. If you haven't already been, I hope you'll give it a try. I must say both meetings I made this weekend were very meaningful to me. They were actually fun.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome back to the rooms sissy !!

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-09-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hang in there Sissy. What are the facts? Write them down and take a look at them. If you're lonely look at why. Ask yourself if consuming alcohol changes your list. Remember, feeling aren't facts. They just sort of are what they are. The only thing that changes the way I feel is what I do. Posting here is good, AA is good, going on a walk is good, joining a gym is good, asking people at coffee shop how they are doing is good, calling a friend or family member out of the blue and asking how their day went is good... It just takes effort.... Actions are greater than intentions every single time...