Notices

Are we too sensitive????????

Old 07-08-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are we too sensitive????????

I followed a step one link and downloaded a pdf about a conference july 2001. I started to read and the document said we are too sensitive. Is this something we are suppose to change. Are we suppose to accept ourselves or not without the drink. Is a healthy person not sensitive. That seems to be my problem the things I can change. Self-pity I understand to change.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

We tend to be thin skinned.

I'm not so much like that today. I have 13 months of sobriety and recovery.

I guess it depends on if it bothers a person or not.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Im extremely sensitive to everything
Old 07-08-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sugarbear,
I am sensitive to abuse. I shouldn't be. I can understand changing self-centeredness. I am sensitive to abandonment. IF WE HAVE TO GET THICKER SKINS AREN'T WE HIDING OUR FEELINGS. I thought we are to have our feelings without the booze. The booze helped uncover some of our feelings.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am 10.5 months sober and way too sensitive. Ruminator extraordinaire. I need to stop thinking about the past, being present. So, yeah, I am sensitive to a fault. I just try not to let it influence important decisions, but I am not very successful at that.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

I am a different kind of sensitive now I am sober.

I think when I was drinking I was sensitive in a paranoid, fearful sort of way. Sort of over thinking everything partly because I was worried people knew how much I drank and what a state I was in and thought I was a waste of space, a bad person.... the list is endless

Now I am sober I am still sensitive but in a more rational way I guess if that is possible.
It is one of my natural traits I guess but I can keep things in better perspective now I am hiding less, being more honest with myself I suppose. Getting to know the real Hexipuff.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not in AA and I've not read the .pdf

but...I think a lot of us are sensitive types, Pauline.

I think there's a difference tho between being sensitive and being thin skinned - getting easily upset, taking offence easily etc.

I'm still sensitive - but I'm less thin skinned...not so much because I've changed, but because I know myself better now & I'm more confident in my feelings and beliefs...

my insecurities used to have me react to nearly everything...not so much now - I do see that as a definite step forward

D
Old 07-08-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm way too sensitive and therefore defensive...does that make me thick skinned actually? I think anger comes from being too sensitive too. I think maybe we are supposed to not hide from our feelings but not let them rule our lives either...I have no idea really, I haven't got off the emotional roller coaster of early sobriety yet!

I hope you're okay Pauline :ghug3 x
Old 07-08-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was definitly a people pleaser. I gave myself completly up while drinking and tried to do everything correct. I always wanted peopel to like me and I got very easily upset about everything. Now when I stopped drinking I realized I cannot please everybody nor do I want to please everybody. I am still very sensitive, but I think, after quitting I can handle things that upset me better.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Definatly my sensitivity has totally changed threw time in sobriety. Its takes a good amount of time to really get to the true feelings. Most at the beginning are so roller coaster like.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

I'm sensitive to abuse, too. I don't allow others to abuse me today. Been there, won't go back. I don't ever believe I won't be sensitive to abuse of any kind.

I am also sensitive to abandonment.

Not sure what you are getting at in your second post, though.

I don't have a thicker skin. I just don't concern myself with what others think about me. Today, I can feel and identify my feelings as they occur. I don't stay in them. I no longer use them as an excuse to drink. I used that for way too long.

Pauline, what's really going on with you? It sounds like there is a lot more in what you aren't saying on here than with what you've written. Recovering from drinking is a personal process.

I wish you well on your sober journey.

Hugs,
Old 07-08-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Telephone Meetings
Sober Voices Group
(712) 432.0075
pass code 654443#
Please note: this may be a toll call!

From Nassau County AA website
Old 07-08-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Nothing gets me more upset that someone telling me I am too sensitive and that I get upset too easily.

You get to choose what to read and what to believe, filtering it through your own brain as you go. Maybe this post of yours can raise some different questions for you. Is it true for you? How does it make you feel?

It was true for me that I needed to learn new ways of dealing with my emotions without alcohol, and to do that I learned some mindfulness techniques. These helped me get some breathing room around my emotions - they were still there all right, but they didn't force me to do anything anymore. Maybe this idea can help you too,